Basis 2800 Diamond Signature vs Brinkmann Balance

cmanios

Mar 17, 2016
Hello All,

I need some advice. I have 2 dealers with options for a TT

1) Brinkmann Balance 2-arm version including HRS platform, 12.1 brinkmann tonearm, 2 additional mounts as well as tube power supply

2) Basis 2800 Diamond Signature included Vector 4 Tonearm with VTA micrometer, SyncroWave power supply, Calibrator Base.

The Basis is 4yrs old and a Demo; Balance is 2 years old and a demo. Both lightly used. Basis is 7k more than Balance....

Which would you choose?????

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Wow Chris.

It is hard to go wrong at this level I would have thought.

Which do you like the sound of more? What cart's have you demo'ed them with? What music do you mostly listen to?

7k buys lots of vinyl, or a KLA record cleaning machine and lots of vinyl, or a second arm and a mono cart or ... well you get the idea.

My own preference would be for the Brinkmann but really I would suggest a home demo of each in your system with if possible the same cart, preferably one of yours that you know.

And welcome to WBF!

cmanios

Mar 17, 2016
Thanks Andrew
Unfortunately I cannot demo the units. One is in Arizona and the other is in Utah. There isn't a basis dealer near me and the Brinkmann dealer here has the spyder demo and not the balance. I have eclectic tastes in music from opera and classical to jazz and Motown to classic and alternative rock. I was hoping someone who had a similar dilemma would give me insight. I am personally leaning to the Brinkmann myself as it is the newer TT and cheaper. But I wanted opinions from others to make sure I make the right decision.
Thanks for the input Andrew

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I'm not much help I'm afraid. Deeper waters than I swim in.

Wouldn't you be chatting to your local Brinkman dealer and giving him the opportunity to match the deal on the Balance? Even if he cannot, there is certainly great value in him getting a Balance in for a home audition with a cart you know. He may be able to borrow one from the distributor or fellow dealer. He might even be able to get the one in your were interested in buying.

I am sure at this level it is a question of system synergy as much as anything else, and your local dealer may be uniquely placed to help with that. Not to mention set up, tips and tricks for Brinkmann etc.

I sure wouldn't be spending the amount of money you are talking about based on what someone you don't know writes on a forum. I'd be listening. Even if that mean jumping on a plane.

Good luck my friend, and happy hi fi :)

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Chris, out of curiosity, what is the rest of your system and what cartridges are you considering.

Wish I could help you on the Brinkmann vs Basis decision. I will echo what Andrew says a good local dealer, especially around set up and matching to your tastes, is usually worth it's weight in gold...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If you decide to buy the Brinkman, I highly recommend either an active or passive isolation platform. I've heard that the HRS helps but a Vibraplane or Herzan would improve things more, imo. I have heard both tables but in different and unfamiliar systems. The systems were excellent. If you know a lot about setup then you should be fine. If not, then help from a local set up guy would be essential for best performance. That might outweigh the differences in the tables.

cmanios

Mar 17, 2016
Thanks everyone. I spoke to the Brinkmann dealer locally and he has helped me out in the past which is why I'm leaning to the Brinkmann. I am flying to listen to the Brinkmann.
My issue is really about the Basis. Do you think it's superior, inferior, or equivalent to the balance??
is it worth investing in a flight to check it out given the fact it's twice as old as the balance and almost 7k more??
I have focal Scala v2 speakers, 2 REL G1 subs. Amp is atlas signature monoblocks as well as Janus and Rhea signature. All the components are aesthetix. Cables are transparent XL and power conditioner is shunyata triton/typhon

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Thanks everyone. I spoke to the Brinkmann dealer locally and he has helped me out in the past which is why I'm leaning to the Brinkmann. I am flying to listen to the Brinkmann.

A good dealer is a great thing. Rare. If you have one, I wouldn't be rushing to buy outside their stable.

My issue is really about the Basis. Do you think it's superior, inferior, or equivalent to the balance??.....

No such thing at this level - there is different. No one can tell you how the Balance will sound vs the Basis in your system - so many variables.

With the greatest of respect, and i don't mean to be derogatory here, I am getting a feeling you haven't had the opportunity to listen to alot of different tables/different brands. With a few exceptions (Airforce, Caliburn) my experience tells me that there is alot of different out there and not much better or worse. And so much boils down to taste anyway.

I'd be grabbing the Brinkmann (they aren't shabby!) and be putting the best arm/cart/phono combo you can on it, buy a KLA and live happily ever after. And don't sweat the small stuff.

Lovely system btw. Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

cmanios

Mar 17, 2016
Thanks Andrew for the input. I'm not offended by the remark. I just never heard the basis table to get an understanding of how it sounds as I don't have a basis dealer near me.
In all honesty im not the most seasoned audiophile (been in this hobby for about 3 years now) and I have auditioned around 10 different tables for my system
Just wanted to get opinions from others who probably have more experience.
I appreciate all the feedback,
Thanks for the compliment on the system!
Chris

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Thanks Chris - glad you took it the way it was intended. Good man.

Any particular reason why these two decks garnered your attention? Lots of great decks out there, some real bargains secondhand as well, I'd be far less concerned with deck, and more concerned with cart, arm and phono. And isolation. And good pressings. And clean pressings.

Personally among the reasonably (??) priced belt drives I'm a massive fan of the Spiral Groove (1.1 or 2) + Centroid arm + Minus K, and or an SME 20 or 30 + SME arm. The best you can afford with either - particularly secondhand (which allows for some real purchasing power) would be my preference. You guys have the great advantage of a large audiophile community, which is always upgrading, so there are some real bargains to be had in the USA.

I own a Bauer dps + dps arm, which doesn't have alot of parts quality for the spend (smart cheap engineering that works - like the Well Tempered), but which I can forgive because it sounds terrific.

BTW a friend of mine has a Bardo - nothing wrong with that deck. Stick on a good arm and a great cartridge and I would be very happy with it. Lots of money left over for records.

ps - Peter and the other guys know more about vinyl that I ever will - so listen to them over me. They are in a completely different spend category to me. I am in the 20-25k spend for my system, the guys here spend that on a phono stage ;)

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks Andrew for the input. I'm not offended by the remark. I just never heard the basis table to get an understanding of how it sounds as I don't have a basis dealer near me.
In all honesty im not the most seasoned audiophile (been in this hobby for about 3 years now) and I have auditioned around 10 different tables for my system
Just wanted to get opinions from others who probably have more experience.
I appreciate all the feedback,
Thanks for the compliment on the system!
Chris

Chris, first off, you have a NICE system, I've heard the Aesthetix components many times and own Transparent and Shunyata...

I don't think you'll go wrong with either table..I think the key is in the set up...if your local dealer can do this best...you will likely have the best outcome regardless of table choice...

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi,
great system you've got over there.
unfortunately i cant decide for you nor i cant decide between them in objectivity, i was never listen to the basis before - but, i can tell you that the Balance with all the goodies you offered, is one of a hell TT!
i bought a new one a month ago, with the tube power supply etc and i can't get enough of it, i am using 'Aquilar' and 'the Archon' - arm and cart - by "Acoustical Systems" with it, and using the Pass labs XP25 phono stage, we have some similar music preferences so you might take my side to consider.
as mentioned before; there is no mistakes in that level, just preferences of sound signature. il grab the Balance if i were you, you wont regret it for sure... 7K goes a a long way when you need new LPs ;-) and you absolutely will get one of the best TT around since 1984.

enjoy what ever you decide.

A. 4.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing