Linn LP 12... anyone else still like this design?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Similarly, I'm a big fan of our beloved LINN LP12 - but our LP12 never sounded better than after the springs were completely removed and replaced with silicone mushrooms.
But there is a contradiction in converting spring loaded LP12 to a silicone mushroom suspended turntable. The whole advertisement of LP12 has been and is based on precisely adjusted springs. They advocated superiority and simplicity of those springs for the last 50 years since the introduction of LP12.

IMHO a springless LP12 is an iPhone running android or a Tesla with an internal combustion engine, coffee without caffeine. If LP12 sounds better with silicone mushrooms doesn’t it mean we are fooled by Linn for the last 50 years? Doesn’t the whole design approach of LP12 become pointless when you remove springs?

Last edited:

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
@mtemur

Using your own standards, let me ask these questions...

Now that the top LINN LP12 offering uses a DC motor - NOT an AC motor - were we fooled by LINN for 40-years?

Now that the top LINN LP12 offering uses a sub-chassis bonded to the armboard - not three lossy little PK screws - were we fooled by LINN for 30-years?

No. I don't think so. It's called progress.

I'll remind you also, that each of these progressive steps - now considered normal - were introduced NOT by LINN, but by third-party providers, all eager to extract more from the humble LP12 design.

IMHO, the unique beauty of the LP12 emanates from the combination of the quality LINN bearing, sub-platter, and outer-platter - isolated by suspension and driven by a belt.

With the springless LP12, this is still the case. The only difference is that the suspension is less extreme - and is provided by (silent) silicone mushrooms, instead of a chorus of excited springs all singing in harmony.

If it sounds better - and it does - what else matters?

As an aside, with the silicone mushrooms in place, our LP12 still plays without interruption, even while our robot vacuum-cleaner nudges the hi-fi rack and our 5-year-old tears around the listening room. So, the suspended LP12 isolation still works perfectly - but sounds better than ever!

Last edited:

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
If you are still in doubt - as you may not have not heard the massive sonic improvements wrought by the silicone mushrooms - I suggest you make contact with Lennart at LinnArts (Sweden).

LinnArts sells all LINN tricks and treasures - including most third-party offerings. I purchased my silicone mushrooms from Lennart.

Lennart also considers the AUDIOSILENTE SILICONE MUSHROOMS provide the highest level of LP12 configuration. He is not alone.

In terms of day-to-day handling, I also must confess that in no way do me and my costly cartridges miss that infernal bouncy platter! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing