Steinway and Lyngdorf Series Model S system

mirekti

Feb 3, 2015
Dallas, TX
I've posted this as a reply on another forum, but think this might be a better place to ask and it deserves a topic for itself. In general, I found very little information about this system so I would need a bit of help here.

My plan would be to use SL S series mostly for music in a stereo setup. Given the product is on the market for some time now. It's kind of big chunk of money I plan on throwing in these.

Do you think their DSP technology is a bit outdated nowdays or it was so good at the release time that I won't hear any lack of music today?
Any rumors LS might be ready to update their S series?

What attracts me the most is the fact they use AER i.e. there is no a single sweet spot and more than one person can enjoy the music or movie. On the other hand their very expensive models (M and D) use a different technology. They are dipoles while these have a midrange in the box and AER for the tweeter.

Could anyone compare the sound differences between the M and S for example?
Does S sound less spacious as it is not a dipole or it uses the wall very well so they sound kind of the same?

In stereo setup there are two subwoofers in the corners. Are these shakers? I do like tight and precise bass and dislike the boomy, shaky or too punchy bass.
Are the subwofers self powered with dials on them or they are simply plug & play?

My alternative at the moment would be to go with used Devialet D200 and MBL 116F instead, but LS are more wife friendly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing