Munich high-end show 2016: Who here is going?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It does but beware. On Sunday morning 2011 I spent a long time waiting for said bus. It never arrived. I ended up getting a taxi with a couple who were also waiting.

Ron, don't let influence your choice of hotel for that reason.

In 2014, the trains weren't running as far as MOC. Ended up getting a bus to cover the extra distance.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Anyone have some hotel recommendations? I am looking at flights/accomodation now.

I always stay at the Innside in North Munich which is on the shuttle bus route.
Modern Scandinavian style with good breakfast. 5 minutes walk from the Munich North airport bus stop and the S Bahn

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great story...which year were you there for Oktoberfest?

People wanting to go the Oktoberfest should remember that it takes place mostly in September - often tourists arriving in Munich in the beginning of October are disappointed to miss it! It starts on the third Saturday in September and lasts around two weeks, the exact number of days depending on the date of the weekend!

The great local joke about finding the way concerns the careful tourist who prudently copies the name of the street on the plate close to the hotel, fearing to get lost. He really gets lost and then does not understand why everyone laughs when he shows his notes - Einbahnstraße (one way street...).

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 232

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the hotel tips, User211 and Barry. My back-up plan is to use Uber.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
People wanting to go the Oktoberfest should remember that it takes place mostly in September - often tourists arriving in Munich in the beginning of October are disappointed to miss it! It starts on the third Saturday in September and lasts around two weeks, the exact number of days depending on the date of the weekend!

The great local joke about finding the way concerns the careful tourist who prudently copies the name of the street on the plate close to the hotel, fearing to get lost. He really gets lost and then does not understand why everyone laughs when he shows his notes - Einbahnstraße (one way street...).

We actually DID THAT! hilarious and funny to know we are not the only ones!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Thank you for the hotel tips, User211 and Barry. My back-up plan is to use Uber.

I would recommend staying in central Munich. There's more to life than hi-fi and if you want to enjoy some time there, an open top city bus tour is HIGHLY recommended. They are certainly NOT afraid to talk about Hitler and Nazi history. The bus tours are dome verbally (by a human!) in English and German.

Whilst I spent 2 days at the 2014 show, my wife really enjoyed herself sightseeing around central Munich. There's plenty to see. We then hooked up for the remaining days.

Just a thought.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would recommend staying in central Munich. There's more to life than hi-fi and if you want to enjoy some time there, an open top city bus tour is HIGHLY recommended. They are certainly NOT afraid to talk about Hitler and Nazi history. The bus tours are dome verbally (by a human!) in English and German.

Whilst I spent 2 days at the 2014 show, my wife really enjoyed herself sightseeing around central Munich. There's plenty to see. We then hooked up for the remaining days.

Just a thought.

Why would you go to a hifi show and think there was more to life than hifi. Spare that thought for other days, like when you are visiting your wife's family.

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
Why would you go to a hifi show and think there was more to life than hifi. Spare that thought for other days, like when you are visiting your wife's family.

Because hifi show finish at 6 and there is still a life in the evening :)
I have booked cheaper hotel, on tram route to the show (3 stops) and central Munich. This should be good enough location to be able to enjoy both, the city and the show.

Last edited:

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I have booked cheaper hotel, on tram route to the show (3 stops) and central Munich. This should be good enough location to be able to enjoy both, the city and the show.

and don't forget the DSD 512 May Fest in Munich on Friday May 6th at 7:30 pm

Ticket event featuring Vivid Giya G1, Top Secret amp system, T+A PDP 3000HV and T+A DAC 8 DSD fed DSD 512 from Sound Galleries Music Server running HQ Player with a variety of front ends including Roon

Program is
- Sound Galleries Music Server presentation of Roon feeding HQ Player delivering DSD 512
- Buffet dinner with wine and beer
- Skunkworks for the hardcore, tweaks for audiophiles who want to squeeze the extra tear drop of realism from DSD 512 and an explanation about how the SGM 2015 does it

The ticket price will be subsidized so that it is about the same as a dinner in town

Email me, Edward Hsu at eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com to reserve a ticket(s)

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

I'll be there - and did the same thing. Booked a hotel in Central Munich that's on the U-Bahn U6 line. That way, there's still life in the evenings after the show. I'm not showing, so just an ordinary visitor to the show.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ron, Uber is not available in Germany.

Christoph

Christoph,

Uber is having legal troubles in many countries in Europe, Portugal included, but last time I heard about (end of 2015) I was told they were able to operate in Germany, but just in Berlin and Munich. Did it change meanwhile?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
Thursday is the trade day. Trade ticket is 40 Euro, and is good for all 4 days

I am sorry EuroDriver, not sure what you mean exactly. Can normal visitor get trade ticket and it will be valid for all four days? That would be great.

/edit/ not really: 'provided that we can proof your trade status. Please have some company paper with you and at least your business card to get the ticket for only 40,00 EUR which is valid for all four days.'

Well, my girlfriend will be happy ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing