What to do first

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have DIRAC that sees my system with 4 subs as a whole and I can use DSP on the 4 subs as a stand alone system via a miniDSP4x10
Currently I set everything to flat , including the subs , then DIRAC the whole thing and only then tweak the subs for flatter room response and to taste
Should I rather tweak the subs with dsp and then do DIRAC on the whole system?

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
try it yourself, see what brings the best result.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have DIRAC that sees my system with 4 subs as a whole and I can use DSP on the 4 subs as a stand alone system via a miniDSP4x10
Currently I set everything to flat , including the subs , then DIRAC the whole thing and only then tweak the subs for flatter room response and to taste
Should I rather tweak the subs with dsp and then do DIRAC on the whole system?

I too have 4 subs and I use a miniDSP to fix some stuff and then run Dirac. I set delays, adjust trims, use some shelf filters, and some PEQ's and generally clean things up. Dirac sees one sub. Works great and sounds great.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The usual way IME is to use the miniDSP to dial in delays plus whatever else you want, then run Dirac Live (or whatever) to handle the complete system. That should reduce processing load on DL and allows you to fine-tune the system response using DL alone (don't have to go back and forth between applications). Changing things after DL could make things worse by upsetting the filters and phasing DL created.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You should optimize your subs through DSP and location to remove as much of the nulls as you can as Dirac can't fix those. Let the peaks get exaggerated as that is what Dirac can fix.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Actually, I have heard that Dirac will apply up to +8 dB of boost as necessary to get to the target curve. I can confirm that it measurably fills in most small dips for me. Most powered subs will have ample headroom to handle this much boost under normal music listening circumstances. So, it seems a workable design idea by Dirac.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Problem with Dirac is that its post correction curve is wishful thinking. What it shows is not what is happening in the room. If you measure it you realize it has not filled in the gaps. It's only tool is to pull the entire response down so that the dips are not as pronounced. But then if you turn up the volume, you are really pushing your amps and speakers hard.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Problem with Dirac is that its post correction curve is wishful thinking. What it shows is not what is happening in the room. If you measure it you realize it has not filled in the gaps. It's only tool is to pull the entire response down so that the dips are not as pronounced. But then if you turn up the volume, you are really pushing your amps and speakers hard.

Maybe so. But, are you measuring in the same multi-point averaging way they are? That could make a difference, as their whole measurement/filter design concept is predicated on that, and their scheme is proprietary to boot. That creates difficulties in trying to reconcile their predicted response to independent measurements, especially single point ones.

I personally experience no such overload issues, but that is my own particular situation. But, your advice might be a good way to stay out of trouble.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Dirac actually will boost to whatever you have set the default attenuation.. user selectable to 0 , -3, -6 or -10db but it wont boost destructive very steep nulls
ill try the minidsp 4x10 on the subs first and then do dirac on the whole system and further tweak using either the 4x10 or with the target curve in dirac
I have my 4 subs stacked 2 up at the midpoints of my sidewalls right now ..seems to work the best..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing