Thread: What to do first

What to do first

I have DIRAC that sees my system with 4 subs as a whole and I can use DSP on the 4 subs as a stand alone system via a miniDSP4x10
    Currently I set everything to flat , including the subs , then DIRAC the whole thing and only then tweak the subs for flatter room response and to taste
    Should I rather tweak the subs with dsp and then do DIRAC on the whole system?
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Banned
    try it yourself, see what brings the best result.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    I have DIRAC that sees my system with 4 subs as a whole and I can use DSP on the 4 subs as a stand alone system via a miniDSP4x10
    Currently I set everything to flat , including the subs , then DIRAC the whole thing and only then tweak the subs for flatter room response and to taste
    Should I rather tweak the subs with dsp and then do DIRAC on the whole system?
    I too have 4 subs and I use a miniDSP to fix some stuff and then run Dirac. I set delays, adjust trims, use some shelf filters, and some PEQ's and generally clean things up. Dirac sees one sub. Works great and sounds great.
    “Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    The usual way IME is to use the miniDSP to dial in delays plus whatever else you want, then run Dirac Live (or whatever) to handle the complete system. That should reduce processing load on DL and allows you to fine-tune the system response using DL alone (don't have to go back and forth between applications). Changing things after DL could make things worse by upsetting the filters and phasing DL created.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Banned
    You should optimize your subs through DSP and location to remove as much of the nulls as you can as Dirac can't fix those. Let the peaks get exaggerated as that is what Dirac can fix.

Actually, I have heard that Dirac will apply up to +8 dB of boost as necessary to get to the target curve. I can confirm that it measurably fills in most small dips for me. Most powered subs will have ample headroom to handle this much boost under normal music listening circumstances. So, it seems a workable design idea by Dirac.

Banned
    Problem with Dirac is that its post correction curve is wishful thinking. What it shows is not what is happening in the room. If you measure it you realize it has not filled in the gaps. It's only tool is to pull the entire response down so that the dips are not as pronounced. But then if you turn up the volume, you are really pushing your amps and speakers hard.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Problem with Dirac is that its post correction curve is wishful thinking. What it shows is not what is happening in the room. If you measure it you realize it has not filled in the gaps. It's only tool is to pull the entire response down so that the dips are not as pronounced. But then if you turn up the volume, you are really pushing your amps and speakers hard.
    Maybe so. But, are you measuring in the same multi-point averaging way they are? That could make a difference, as their whole measurement/filter design concept is predicated on that, and their scheme is proprietary to boot. That creates difficulties in trying to reconcile their predicted response to independent measurements, especially single point ones.

I personally experience no such overload issues, but that is my own particular situation. But, your advice might be a good way to stay out of trouble.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    According to Dirac Live it will apply up to 10 dB of boost and "infinite" cut.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Dirac actually will boost to whatever you have set the default attenuation.. user selectable to 0 , -3, -6 or -10db but it wont boost destructive very steep nulls
    ill try the minidsp 4x10 on the subs first and then do dirac on the whole system and further tweak using either the 4x10 or with the target curve in dirac
    I have my 4 subs stacked 2 up at the midpoints of my sidewalls right now ..seems to work the best..
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room