Maria Sharapova tests positive for banned substance

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Conjecture, and only that ... bringing Serena into this mix, isn't fair to her, or anyone else for that matter.

AFIAC, Lance did -FARRR- more (damage) then just taking a pill, he (and his assigned posy) defined and regimented practices with the CLEAR intent to cheat, forced THAT on all his teammates, and continually told lies to justify his actions. Never any accountability, little responsibility. The lowest common denominator between all these athletes is simply the drugs ... that part is all too easy related. The rest ...

I don't think it's conjecture at all. Mary Carillo campaigned for Serena Williams' suspension for threatening a referee. She was punished on the spot with loss of point which cost her the match. I agreed with the punishment. I did not like it.
Imagine if Serenas' power game could be associated with PED and the firestorm that would ensue.
I have no idea what it is like to spend your entire childhood being told you are going to be the best player in the world and then reach a plateau short of your goal.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I don't think it's conjecture at all. Mary Carillo campaigned for Serena Williams' suspension for threatening a referee. She was punished on the spot with loss of point which cost her the match. I agreed with the punishment. I did not like it.
Imagine if Serenas' power game could be associated with PED and the firestorm that would ensue.
I have no idea what it is like to spend your entire childhood being told you are going to be the best player in the world and the reach a plateau short of your goal.

Why imagine?

Unless it's alleged and/or proven Serena did anything illegal on the PED front, all the other fluff is mere conjecture.

The real losers here are the charities/associations which unknowingly associated themselves.

Personally, I'm giving Maria the benefit of the doubt, at least until proven otherwise.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I too believe in the presumption of innocence. As it stands she tested positive for a drug that has PED qualities but also medicnal benefits. It was only added to the list of banned substances very recently. Most organizations allow you to apply for exemption. Right now she is guilty of negligence in failing to follow procedure. As far as sponsors go they may be taking advantage of an opportunity to bail out due to her lackluster performance against Serena. OTOH they may know more than we do.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Drugs should be allowed as dietary/metabolic supplements.

That is really no different from having a better diet with better nutrients or a better coach or training facilities.

If various chemicals help a player do better, fine.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I doubt that very much. Again, this has nothing to do with Serena!

Obcuously if you are a sponsor you want your product associated with the best player. Serena has been that way more than Maria. Other factors are involved. All things being equal Seren, despite often lacking humility in defeat, should hold that position.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Obcuously if you are a sponsor you want your product associated with the best player. Serena has been that way more than Maria. Other factors are involved. All things being equal Seren, despite often lacking humility in defeat, should hold that position.

You insist on dwelling on Serena (which isn't fair to her or anyone in this context) accomplishments in direct comparison to Maria's, reads more & more like a silly personal agenda ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It's debatable as to who has a silly agenda and who it is against. Suffice it to say this has been a topic of discussion on many sports talk shows. Sharapovas' demise will probably elevate Serena to #1 by default. A fact that unapologetically will make me happy.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I remember five or six years ago Maria grew two more inches after she was twenty. There were lots of questions about that and then no one talked about it any more. Serena did threaten to shove a tennis ball down the throat of a line judge. That was a nasty affair and changed a lot of minds.

Sponsors want to sell their products and choose their athletes accordingly. It does not always mean that they select the best athlete in a particular sport. Just look at how many posts here are about Maria's looks. They may transcend her tennis abilities and be the reason for all of the endorsements. Remember that blond tennis player, Hornakova?? or something, who never won a single tournament? The advertisers and fans loved her and it was probably all based on her looks, little more.

The interesting thing in this story is that Maria came out and held a press conference. That was unusual. I hope she saved her money. There sure was a lot of it.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
A fact that unapologetically will make me happy.

your personal agenda/bias was readily evident with your finger-pointing OP ... then in near every subsequent out-of-context post since, Serena this, Serena that ...

Just get a room.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
The interesting thing in this story is that Maria came out and held a press conference. That was unusual. I hope she saved her money. There sure was a lot of it.

The vast majority thought she was going to announce her retirement based on her injuries and performance, so it wasn't "unusual" at the time. As far as $, Maria has long been a VERY savvy business person, well past any tennis initiative. From what I`ve gathered, her tennis based earnings represent but a fraction of her total income ... she`ll be fine.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
."..Just get a room." TBone

I wish. She is way better looking than Maria.

The bottom line is no matter how great she is, if she got caught cheating she is gonna pay the price. No matter what she does there are those who will never believe her. At least I suggested a method for avoiding this in the future. I also am willing to give her due process.
It should be pretty easy to document her diagnosis. For the haters an independent medical exam could provide documentation.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The vast majority thought she was going to announce her retirement based on her injuries and performance, so it wasn't "unusual" at the time. As far as $, Maria has long been a VERY savvy business person, well past any tennis initiative. From what I`ve gathered, her tennis based earnings represent but a fraction of her total income ... she`ll be fine.

What I mean is that she seems to be admitting what she did and is out front about it and seems to be taking responsibility, unlike many other athletes getting caught taking drugs. Income is one thing. Savings quite another. I hope she will be fine.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/03/maria-sharapova-drug-scandal-may-be-darker-than-you-think

________

...Very young attractive ? woman with a gold smile.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So in summary, if you are a young, hot,white female it's ok to cheat.

Have I missed anything?

Of course it is not OK to cheat. She has admitted that she took a banned substance and seems to be taking responsibility. She may have had her endorsements for the observations in your summary. That is OK, and quit understandable. Another quality that you did not mention is that she is apparently a very good business woman and excellent athlete, though not as good as some of her rivals on the court.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Serena takes the high road and backs Sharapova.

Even though Sharapova is guilty of negligence in not seking a medical exemption that avenue is still available to her. There is something called a Retroactive Medical Certificate. There is no current plan to apply for it. Quite appropriate for a chronic disease.
She has promised to submit the supporting medical documents for review.
There is nowhere for her to hide.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing