Maria Sharapova tests positive for banned substance

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For some unknown reason she is the highest paid female athlete in the world. A position I for one thought should be held by Serena Williams. That may explain why Serena treats her like a doormat every time they play. Her loses seem to have had no effect on her sponsors. The sponsors are jumping ship like the proverbial rats on the heels of her positive drug test.
She will miss the French Open. That is her best hope to win a major.
Because she confessed that is a minimum two year ban.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Every year they ban new stuff; the athletes can't keep up...too much reading...they'd rather go yachting on the ocean instead.
She had no clue that what she has been taking as a supplement for years had another name and was recently declared illegal.

That "substance" has been legal and natural for years, they just decided to ban it not long ago, and according to her; it was called another name.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
She should hire me. I' ll get an app on my smartphone that allows me to maintain a database of all the banned substances. I'll get an automatic update for new substances. Before she takes any medicine she can clear it through the database. To be sure I cross -check it through the anti-doping agency.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Sharapova is a drug cheat - simple as that. She should get the 4 years suspension.

Meldonium company says normal course of treatment is four to six weeks. Certainly not 10 years for a drug only sold in Latvia and online - not approved in the USA or Europe in general.

• Meldonium is used to treat ischaemia: a lack of blood flow to parts of the body, particularly in cases of angina or heart failure.

• It is manufactured in Latvia and only distributed in Baltic countries and Russia. It is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in the United States and is not authorised in the rest of Europe.

• It increases blood flow, which improves exercise capacity in athletes.

• Wada found “evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance” by virtue of carrying more oxygen to muscle tissue.

• The decision to add meldonium to the banned list was approved on 16 September 2015, and it came into effect on 1 January 2016. Wada had spent the previous year monitoring the drug before adding it to the banned list.

The drug was name-checked in the latest investigative documentary on Russian doping reforms by the German Hajo Seppelt on Sunday. The documentary referred to a 2015 study in which 17% of Russian athletes (724 of 4,316) tested were found to have meldonium in their system. A global study found 2.2% of athletes had it in their system.

• L’Equipe reported that the scientific advisor to the French Agency Against Doping (AFLD), Professor Xavier Bigard, said in interviews with athletes at last year’s European Games in Baku that a wide proportion of athletes admitted taking meldonium.

• It is classed as an S4 substance under the Wada code, which addresses hormone and metabolic modulators.

• A memo was sent out to athletes by Russia’s anti-doping agency last September informing them of the decision to ban its use.

Several athletes have been suspended since the turn of 2016 after testing positive for the dug. Abebe Aregawi, the 2013 women’s 1,500m world champion, has been provisionally suspended after meldonium was found in a sample she provided. Endeshaw Negesse, the 2015 Tokyo marathon champion, was also banned after reportedly testing positive for the same substance. Others include Olga Abramova and Artem Tyschcenko, two Ukrainian biathletes, Eduard Vorganov, a Russian cyclist and Ekaterina Bobrova, a Russian ice dancer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You beat me to the punch.
It is interesting to see if she gets a pass or is stripped of her titles.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
You beat meto the punch.
It is interesting to see if she gets a pass or is stripped of her titles.

People seem to forget she is part of the Soviet block. They have had systematic systems of cheating over the years with many performance enhancing substances that were not banned - but certainly were banned after WADA found out about them.

I would hate to think what substances Maria Sharapova has allowed herself to be administered over the years.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
People seem to forget she is part of the Soviet block. They have had systematic systems of cheating over the years with many performance enhancing substances that were not banned - but certainly were banned after WADA found out about them.

I would hate to think what substances Maria Sharapova has allowed herself to be administered over the years.

This might sound a little odd, but I am not sure how a performance enhancing drug really helps that much in the game of Tennis. Long distance running or biking or weight lifting or swimming, those I can understand....but Tennis?? This will sound even worse...Women's Tennis???:p

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
She is super hot.

That is pretty much her defence. Works for me.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Maria took full responsibility ... unlike most in this situation, she didn't hide behind some obvious lie, nor duck the issue.

Personally, I wish more athlete's were this accountable ...

And let's not suddenly ignore her PLENTY charitable endeavors/donations, proving one of the more giving athlete's.

Maria deserves better than above.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Maria took full responsibility ... unlike most in this situation, she didn't hide behind some obvious lie, nor duck the issue.

And let's not suddenly ignore her PLENTY charitable endeavors/donations, proving one of the more giving athlete's.

If not ducking the issue means she felt it was better PR to announce it before the official announcement then yes agreed.

Her excuses sound like obvious lies to me.

Does Lance Armstrong deserve better because of his charitable deeds?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Easy when you have already earned a boatload of money ... That is not accountability... This is Convenience

but She is hot ... Oh God! She's HOT! :D

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I can't help wondering how forgiving everyone would be if this was about Serena Williams?

Why would they be? They weren't about Lance in spite of his good deeds

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

OK I guess it is just lawyer in me. Yes she deserves credit for getting out in front of this. But the real issue is did she cheat by using a PED. That she has at least tacitly denied by offering a benign excuse.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I can't help wondering how forgiving everyone would be if this was about Serena Williams?

She would be hung out to dry. She would receive the Lance Armstrong treatment

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
She would be hung out to dry. She would receive the Lance Armstrong treatment

Conjecture, and only that ... bringing Serena into this mix, isn't fair to her, or anyone else for that matter.

AFIAC, Lance did -FARRR- more (damage) then just taking a pill, he (and his assigned posy) defined and regimented practices with the CLEAR intent to cheat, forced THAT on all his teammates, and continually told lies to justify his actions. Never any accountability, little responsibility. The lowest common denominator between all these athletes is simply the drugs ... that part is all too easy related. The rest ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing