Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROON and DRC Software

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar

ROON and DRC Software

Hi

I love ROON Labs Music Player. It is a gift to music lover. I am also using TIDAL with it. For now my listening is headphones-based and I am slowly learning how to use ROON and TIDAL. I will move soon to a speakers-based system, although the headphones and their amps will go nowhere .
    Right now, ROON doesn't support VST plugins or any convolver. How does one uses ROON with software based DRC; I am interested in using Acourate or Dirac.. Do not know yet. A bummer I was/am so happy with ROON + TIDAL.
    I understand that a mini-DSP DI or equivalent could be used between the DAC and the ROON player output but are there ways to avoid this?
    Last edited by FrantzM; 03-09-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    I use Roon with Acourate.

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    Hi

I have love ROON Labs Music Player. It is a gift to music lover. I am also using TIDAL with it. For now my listening is headphones-based and I am slowly learning how to use ROON and TIDAL. I will move soon to a speakers-based system, although the headphones and their amps will go nowhere .
    Right now, ROON doesn't support VST plugins or any convolver. How does one uses ROON with software based DRC; I am interested in using Acourate or Dirac.. Do not know yet. A bummer I was/am so happy with ROON + TIDAL.
    I understand that a mini-DSP DI or equivalent could be used between the DAC and the ROON player output but are there ways to avoid this?
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Banned
    I used Dirac with it. Dirac emulates a sound device. You do your measurements. Tell Direc what your sound device is. It then wraps that device under its own name and applies EQ to it on the fly. That way, any application talking to that device through Dirac will get the benefit of EQ. Roon is just one such app.

In Roon you simply select Dirac as your output device and you are done. The changes to Dirac setting is done inside Dirac controller and its measurement suite.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    You can also use HQplayer's convolver but I don't know anything about it.

If you use Acourate, it makes the most sense to also use Acourate Convolver. In Roon, you select Acourate ASIO as output.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Thanks People .. Way easier than I thought. I will look in to this. There will be more question concerning the use of those software. I will use multiple subs so more questions will come

Thanks again!
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

I use MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI in front of my DAC.

It takes digits from all sources and does its manipulations:

CD, Video Player, HDRadio, TV, and PC sources.
    I'll be back later...

System: Equitech 1.5RQ - OpenDRC-DI w/AcourateDRC - DAC2 - Krell KCT and FPB 350mcx - MartinLogan reQuest

I just send output of roon/Tidal to my squeezebox which feeds my miniDSP dirac box
    the pre outs of my devialet feed into a 4x10hd and that controls 4 subs
    roon will see any device that your system/network sees is capable of outputting audio as an endpoint

I use dirac with my speakers and all 4 subs to sort of panel beat it all into place and then tweak with the 4x10
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    I just send output of roon/Tidal to my squeezebox which feeds my miniDSP dirac box
    the pre outs of my devialet feed into a 4x10hd and that controls 4 subs
    roon will see any device that your system/network sees is capable of outputting audio as an endpoint

I use dirac with my speakers and all 4 subs to sort of panel beat it all into place and then tweak with the 4x10
    Where in your chain do you apply volume?
    Preamps: ADA Reference (multichannel); VTL 7.5 II (two channel)
    Digital: MSB Transport+ Platinum V DAC. Core Audio + MicroRendu streaming; Roon+HQP+FabFilter/Acourate; Trinnov (multichannel)
    Speakers: PRO Audio Technology 2115sm across fronts; 4x 18" PRO subs; 11.4 overall
    Room: Design by Dennis Erskine and Keith Yates. Extensive use of RPG custom bass traps
    Power: Richard Gray 20A UPS and isolation transformer. Triton/Typhon and Sound Application. Shunyata Sigma

In the Devialet
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I used Dirac with it. Dirac emulates a sound device. You do your measurements. Tell Direc what your sound device is. It then wraps that device under its own name and applies EQ to it on the fly. That way, any application talking to that device through Dirac will get the benefit of EQ. Roon is just one such app.

In Roon you simply select Dirac as your output device and you are done. The changes to Dirac setting is done inside Dirac controller and its measurement suite.
    I am not myself even tempted by Roon at this point for several reasons, although it seems to be a big hit and it might well revolutionize PC audio. I could become tempted to change my mind someday.

Right now, I use JRiver feeding Dirac on the PC as my only "front end". My full "HTPC concept" setup incorporates my libraries, my player, my TV cable box replacement AND it also acts as my preamp/processor. That eliminates several items, sometimes costly and rapidly obsolescent, like the pre/pro, from my system. There are three main roadblocks to me using Roon in place of JRiver, at least as far as I know:

(1.) it does not do multichannel audio, my irreplaceable favorite of a lifetime.

(2.) it does not have "preamp/Mch controller" functionality, most notably bass management to a subwoofer, which Dirac also does not have. JRiver does a good job with that for me. But, does Roon do volume control integrated with my Exasound DAC? Can it handle my DSD library with conversion on the fly to hi Rez PCM for Dirac processing?

(3.) it does not handle video formats, like my BD-A and BD-V libraries, as well as live TV video feeds and recording capabilities from my HD Homerun Prime/Cable Card replacement for my cable box.

So, if I am wrong about understanding Roon's capabilities vs. these requirements of mine, I would surely like to know.

Incidentally, for some of these issues, I can see the possibility of using Roon - JRiver via its WDM driver - Dirac - DAC driver, etc. all within the PC as "virtual sound cards". That could solve some of these Roon limitations for me, albeit with more software interconnections. But, the rest are killers for me with Roon at the current time. It is just a library system, and a very nice one within its limitations. I need a more comprehensive, full HTPC/Music system for what I need to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast