Bring Back the CLS

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It s the only ML I thought to own.Throw in woofer tower and call it a day. Cross it over @60hz. I hope I can start a movement. subwoofer.jpg

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Heard this with the Kinergistic (?) woofer tower that was made specifically IIRC for the CLS.. Very good sounding for me then things may have changed since :). I would cross it even higher 80 Hz would make a lot of a difference for the CLS. They may need to widen the listening windows as well as tame up the brightness and threadbare sonic signature of the original. Interesting idea.. Why haven't they?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think one reason is the trend for a smaller footprint of the hybrids.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
In case you're not aware of it the current version is available as their CLX-ART which is similarly designed to be integrated with a subwoofer.
Thank you for the information. I think the CLX isdiffers from the CLS because it is a two way design croossing over at 350HZ.The CLS is a full range driver.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It s the only ML I thought to own.Throw in woofer tower and call it a day. Cross it over @60hz. I hope I can start a movement.

With that design brief are you sure you would not miss dynamics, impact and oomph in the 80 Hz to 200 Hz (or in the 80 Hz to 400 Hz) range?

(I'm being somewhat rhetorical because that is my personal issue with that design brief. I wish it weren't so, but it is. This is why I find the Neolith attractive.)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I never had any problem with "oomph" eith or without subs. I was crossing my Janis subs over at 100hz.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Greg

I understand the Love and everything but AUthorty will never be something one associates with CLS with subs and esecially without.. There is from the CLS a lack of information in the important mid-bass region from <80 to 400 Hz it is lean and however much you move it around it would sound lean putting the emphasis on the lower treble on a psycho-acouystic level .. I had it and did everything possible to bring back these .. to no avail it is simply not there... SO we may bneed to have a larger radiating surface to bring some oomph in the critical 80 to 400 .. subwoofers crossed in under 80 Hz will not help in this department ... So it could be a super CLS with a larger diaphragm ... for those frequencies .. this seems to be the recipe for the CLX

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I, obviously, agree with Frantz. More importantly, ML agrees with Frantz; hence ML's focus on the 60 Hz to 400 Hz range with the Neolith and the newer hybrids.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
.t stand by my statement. I not only heard it but could feel it on my skin.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
.t stand by my statement. I not only heard it but could feel it on my skin.

No one is arguing with you. These are just personal preferences. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I hate that term "personal preference. "It always sounds like code for something more pernicious. Any way I know you accept that as my impression.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hate that term "personal preference. "It always sounds like code for something more pernicious. Any way I know you accept that as my impression.

I absolutely accept that as your impression. I promise that when I write (or say) "personal preference" I am not using it as code for something negative or sarcastic.

I truly think much of this hobby is subjective and is personal preference. I write (and say) frequently that this or that is my own personal preference.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sure Ron.I don't know how the wrord subjective became a "dirty"word.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
It certainly shouldn't be, since listening is subjective by nature. While objective measurements can give you an indication of certain technical aspects that a system may have, the best systems are those that bring you an emotional connection to the music. I don't know of any objective measurements that can reflect a piece of gear's ability to achieve that goal.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Has anyone compared the CLS/CLX to the big Soundlabs? I think those are the only "mainstream" full-range ESL competition? Quads are not really full-range, Sanders are hybrids, as is the rest of the ML line. IIRC the original Monolith was a hybrid, and that was ML's genesis -- blending ESL panels with a dynamic woofer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Has anyone compared the CLS/CLX to the big Soundlabs? I think those are the only "mainstream" full-range ESL competition? Quads are not really full-range, Sanders are hybrids, as is the rest of the ML line. IIRC the original Monolith was a hybrid, and that was ML's genesis -- blending ESL panels with a dynamic woofer.
Alright Don, mea culpa. Full range to me means top to body without a crossover. I concede Soundlab goes deeper.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Gregadd

What is clear is that one driver can't do all that. Full range seems to equate different drivers: You need at least two and more often 3: .. One small for the highs .. one medium for the ... mids :), and one large for the lows... You know, Physics and all that.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Multiple drivers bring in their own set of problems. Lack of Coherence is at the top of the list. Certainly bass requires movement of substantial amounts of air. I think CLS suffered from amplifiers and preamp designed for dynamic speakers. For example switching from the CJ P V 5 to the ARC SP9 was quite a revelation. Real bass is tight and coherent. Dynamic go low but they are boomy and sluggish.
As for what ML knows there is pre and post Gayle Sanders. Gayle abandoned the CLS in favor of the Sequel. The Monolith never had the success of the CLS. It never had the CLS coherence.
With amplification like the ARC SP9 and VTL the CLS was capable of excellent bass. It still only went so low.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Alright Don, mea culpa. Full range to me means top to body without a crossover. I concede Soundlab goes deeper.

Deeper, maybe, but "better"? I have not been a fan of the big Soundlabs, as I have stated before, and am really curious what you and others think of them today. Last time I brought it up, I was dismissed because I have not heard Soundlab in many years (still true, no dealers around). Nor have I spent any time recently with ML speakers, although the little I have indicated (to me and perhaps nobody else) that the issues they (at least that I felt they) had ten-plus years ago integrating the woofer and panels had been much improved. Still think they cross a little high, but years ago I thought the integration was really poor and it seems much better today. Probably just me. One reason I like Magnepan is they generally provide a more seamless image to me from top to bottom than most of the ESLs I have heard. In any event, the call for a return of the CLS begs (to me anyway) the comparison to Soundlab designs, and I am curious.

Frantz, I do not think the multiple drivers issue is cut and dry. Too many variables at play, and as Gregg said they do have their own set of problems. It's all a compromise among a myriad of design trades, natch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing