Neat trick to facilitate Ultrasonic cleaning

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
We all have records that despite US cleaning are still sub par :(

i have a few like this

I found using a large pad wetted micro fibre sponge had a dramatic improvement on a few

clearly some are groove damaged and don't

but i have been surprised i have resurrected a few i thought beyond help ;)

A

muncybob

Dec 17, 2015
We all have records that despite US cleaning are still sub par :(

i have a few like this

I found using a large pad wetted micro fibre sponge had a dramatic improvement on a few

A

A large micro fibre sponge wetted with "what"?

muncybob

Dec 17, 2015
I am about to start US cleaning for the 1st time soon. From what I've read it's important to give the vinyl a good rinse after the US process. So in effect, is the sponge wipe you suggest the only rinse? I am planning to use a small pump up sprayer and give a final rinse with DI water.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Disk Doctor Brush with Audio Intelligent No. 15 Enzymatic cleaner, dry with micro towel, drop in KL Audio ultrasonic for final clean/rinse/dry. There is no better way to clean a record, imo. IF you think you have a better more effective way, I am all ears.

distilled water and a micro sponge is not it...sorry ;)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I use the Klaudio, but don't use the blow-dry. After the ultrasonic process, I take it out and use a Nitty Gritty to vacuum dry the record. It sounds much better. Even with care to change out the distilled water very often, blow-drying evaporates the water and could still leave behind a film. Just like after a car wash, towel dry ensures that there are no water spots left behind.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I use the Klaudio, but don't use the blow-dry. After the ultrasonic process, I take it out and use a Nitty Gritty to vacuum dry the record. It sounds much better. Even with care to change out the distilled water very often, blow-drying evaporates the water and could still leave behind a film. Just like after a car wash, towel dry ensures that there are no water spots left behind.

Gary,

the blow dryer does not induce a static charge to the record surface, vacuum does in my experience. Also, purified water leaves no film.

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary,

the blow dryer does not induce a static charge to the record surface, vacuum does in my experience. Also, purified water leaves no film.

Yes - vacuum does sometimes induces a static charge to the record surface.

Purified water leaves no film. The film is due to what was dissolved in the purified water. I guess if I changed the water more often - may be every 2 or 3 albums, it should be OK. But since I've been sucking the water off using the Nitty Gritty, my records have been sounding even better.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yes - vacuum does sometimes induces a static charge to the record surface.

Purified water leaves no film. The film is due to what was dissolved in the purified water. I guess if I changed the water more often - may be every 2 or 3 albums, it should be OK. But since I've been sucking the water off using the Nitty Gritty, my records have been sounding even better.

I understand where you are coming from but I feel vinyl has an intrinsic property to bead away/repel water, hence...any lightly soiled water from the KL unit blows off the record quickly and does not adhere long enough to leave a film that could impair stylus tracing of the groove. Just my own homegrown theory.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
LOVE your avatar, Christian.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Been using & selling ultrasonic cleaners for a while now, they're good and convenient but do have some issues that made me go back to my old Keith Monks machine. The thing that bothers me most is washing the records in dirty & dirtier water. Sometimes I have to clean LPs with with fungus on them or a lot of dirt I can see stuff floating in the bath so I have no choice but to empty and replace the liquid with every wash. There has been some sonic issues with one of the ultrasonic cleaners in some cases I noticed a roll off of high frequencies as have several friends & customers. All this made me dig out my old professional Keith Monks machine that I've owned since the 90's, using it again reminded me why it was the best out there for decades. My only problem with that machine was the size so I contacted Jon Monks at KM and he told me about their new product line which is more compact and quieter than ever before. New for 2017 are even more compact units, had one in our suite at CES which we used with great results. I was most impressed with the new Discovery RC machine with it's new turntable platter & motor, same high quality build as before but more compact. KM machines eliminate all the problems mentioned above and it's a one step cleaning with clear new bath.

KM-Discovery.jpg

KM-Discovery-Inside.jpg

david

Disclaimer- In case you missed it below I am a Keith Monks dealer but I wouldn't carry or write about KM if the product as well as their service wasn't first class!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing