Vinyl Rips: Where analog meets digital and what can they tell us?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
There has been some discussion lately about listening to vinyl rips through the latest generation of DACs. The idea is that the newest DACs are so transparent to the source that listeners cannot actually distinguish between the digital replay of the vinyl and the original vinyl itself. For the moment, and for the sake of argument, let us assume that this is the case.

Ideally, and in theory, the vinyl rip, or perfect digital copy, is played through a transparent digital source in a system. We can now hear the sound of certain combinations of cartridges/arms/turntables/phono cables/phono stages without physically having the gear in our system. This would seem to be a great tool for evaluating the sound of analog components.

We assume that a vinyl rip tells us what the gear used for the rip would sound like in our system and room context. However, we cannot also make assumptions about how the same gear sounds in the original system in which it is actually located. That system has different amps, speakers, and cables, and it is in a completely different room than ours. So we should conclude that the vinyl rip sounds different in our system than the actual LP sounds in the other system.

I was reminded of this today when I heard a vinyl rip in an extremely transparent system with one of the latest DACs. The rip sounded unconvincing. I do not really know why, but the voice was completely different from how this singer usually sounds. The pitch was off as though the turntable used for the ripping was being played at too high a speed. Strange. I wonder how different it sounds in the original system in which it was ripped or why it really sounded like this. Perhaps it was up sampling in the replay chain. I really can't say.

Furthermore, as technology improves, ADCs get upgraded and the vinyl rips will sound better. DACs continue to improve also. So how perfect is the copy and how transparent is the replay if the equipment to make them will be better next year? They can not be perfect copies now or played through completely transparent DACs now if they will be upgraded in the future.

I have directly compared an analog recording to a native quad DSD recording of the same performance. They did not sound the same, and I preferred one to the other. Analog and digital still sound different.

In theory, a vinyl rip could be a great way to listen to music and it could be used as a convenient tool for evaluation equipment. But I do not think that we can tell what a particular analog source sounds like in its own setting by listening to a vinyl rip of it in a different system context. And, next year, another vinyl rip made on the same system will sound different if newer ADC s and DACs are used to make and replay them.

What do others think about vinyl rips?

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The digital device(s) involved in the ripping should always be shut down and restarted prior to every single rip.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The ADC is very critical

changing to DSD ADCs was like night and day for me.....

haven't heard the Ayre but JA was very impressed

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The only ADC that I would trust is my Horus. Been there...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Sounds like a business opportunity. Sell vinyl ripped CDs, and the customer saves by not having to buy, and waste time with, expensive turntables, cartridges, and setup hassles.

esldude

This, http://www.analogplanet.com/category/vote, is an excellent resource for those who wish to explore this ...

Actually I like this one better>

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...hootout-which-sounds-best#di4mDzz3r0bSk7ob.97

Where in the comments some complain about hum in the resulting files. MF says it is the cable from the stepup transformer picking this up. But it is worth it because it is such an open and detailed sounding cable. Yeah, right, add a good dollop of mains hum and don't worry about it even in a $100k analog front end. What a load of malarky.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There has been some discussion lately about listening to vinyl rips through the latest generation of DACs. The idea is that the newest DACs are so transparent to the source that listeners cannot actually distinguish between the digital replay of the vinyl and the original vinyl itself. For the moment, and for the sake of argument, let us assume that this is the case.

Ideally, and in theory, the vinyl rip, or perfect digital copy, is played through a transparent digital source in a system. We can now hear the sound of certain combinations of cartridges/arms/turntables/phono cables/phono stages without physically having the gear in our system. This would seem to be a great tool for evaluating the sound of analog components.

We assume that a vinyl rip tells us what the gear used for the rip would sound like in our system and room context. However, we cannot also make assumptions about how the same gear sounds in the original system in which it is actually located. That system has different amps, speakers, and cables, and it is in a completely different room than ours. So we should conclude that the vinyl rip sounds different in our system than the actual LP sounds in the other system.

I was reminded of this today when I heard a vinyl rip in an extremely transparent system with one of the latest DACs. The rip sounded unconvincing. I do not really know why, but the voice was completely different from how this singer usually sounds. The pitch was off as though the turntable used for the ripping was being played at too high a speed. Strange. I wonder how different it sounds in the original system in which it was ripped or why it really sounded like this. Perhaps it was up sampling in the replay chain. I really can't say.

Furthermore, as technology improves, ADCs get upgraded and the vinyl rips will sound better. DACs continue to improve also. So how perfect is the copy and how transparent is the replay if the equipment to make them will be better next year? They can not be perfect copies now or played through completely transparent DACs now if they will be upgraded in the future.

I have directly compared an analog recording to a native quad DSD recording of the same performance. They did not sound the same, and I preferred one to the other. Analog and digital still sound different.

In theory, a vinyl rip could be a great way to listen to music and it could be used as a convenient tool for evaluation equipment. But I do not think that we can tell what a particular analog source sounds like in its own setting by listening to a vinyl rip of it in a different system context. And, next year, another vinyl rip made on the same system will sound different if newer ADC s and DACs are used to make and replay them.

What do others think about vinyl rips?

Hi

Recently this site has become extremely averse to any kind of questioning of subjective experiences and/or observations. I will venture there however; honest discussion is the only way forward to knowledge. I have thus a few questions and observation for PeterA:
A few truisms: The quality of a copy depends on that of the copying machine/chain. Poor ADC that is the Analog to Digital chain yields poor results. Without knowing what ADC chain was involved in the ripping process, we can't make any serious conclusions... You would take the best picture possible with the Hasselblad medium format digital camera if you scan it with a lowly bed scanner available at Walmart for <$50 the resulting image can’t be as good as the original. You may perceive a few things form the original but that could be all. Same here. However good the DAC chain, that is the digital to analog chain would be it wouldn’t matter.
Assuming a good to excellent ADC how was the comparison performed?
I will bet in full sight and not level matched, I could be wrong. A modicum of level matching is necessary for a good, honest comparison. Nothing scientific but a good way to not skew the results. Inexpensive SPL meter to match the levels. I don’t know if the Radio Shack SPL meter is still available but this would be a start.
Second I am not asking for DBT. It is much more difficult to pull off than many who brandish in any discussions fathom. Simple, removal of knowledge if feasible to reduce the likelihood of biases. However much we want to reject that we can be biased. Centuries of psychological research and observations of human behavior will prove us wrong. So not knowing what is playing could be a good start. Makes it more difficult but it would increase the value of the results IMO.
Those are important but even in their absence. Your post doesn’t mention anything about the ripping chain. The more transparent the DAC the more ripping faults/mistake will be apparent.

I would suggest to listen to some rips from an eminent mastering person such as our own Bruce Brown, it is likely your conclusions would have be different. Bruce could provide you with a rip from something you already have in vinyl (maybe) and you take it from there on the DAC chain you mention in your post else … not much one should say. Furthermore present DACs when fed with seriously made rips are likely to fool many perhaps not you .. although I doubt that they wouldn't :)

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Deleted.

Can't be troubled with the aggro. You are a braver man than I Peter...

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Where in the comments some complain about hum in the resulting files. MF says it is the cable from the stepup transformer picking this up. But it is worth it because it is such an open and detailed sounding cable. Yeah, right, add a good dollop of mains hum and don't worry about it even in a $100k analog front end. What a load of malarky.

Not forgetting that most of the time, the two channels are reversed on the rips. I have to be honest: The rips I have heard (where I own the exact same title myself) on that website are a very good advertisement for ditching vinyl and going fully digital.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not forgetting that most of the time, the two channels are reversed on the rips. I have to be honest: The rips I have heard (where I own the exact same title myself) on that website are a very good advertisement for ditching vinyl and going fully digital.

Very interesting. I will download them and listen. Appreciate your honesty Fiddle. Rarer than you would think.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Very interesting. I will download them and listen. Appreciate your honesty Fiddle. Rarer than you would think.

Yes, very refreshing.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

Arggh ... yet another "I think" theory ... void of any ACTUALITY!

Again, the digital rec.equipment/format of choice used for ripping vinyl, although important to a relative degree, is of minor influence ... when compared to ALL the important variables within the entire analog chain, its overall setup, refinements, the quality of the LP, how it's prepped, and ESPECIALLY the generational influences of the pressing itself ... ALL these variables are -MUCH- more influential to the end result.

Learning to rip takes time and experience past one's choice of ADC/DAC, and Fremer rips tells that tale ... although he's progressively getting better ... his initial rips posted for comparisons on his site were near useless, very noisy, totally opaque, they almost sounded "soft limited" and very disappointing especially given the $$$,$$$ equipment used. Like all things audiophile, actual hands-on experience trumps theory every time.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I would suggest to listen to some rips from an eminent mastering person such as our own Bruce Brown, it is likely your conclusions would have be different. Bruce could provide you with a rip from something you already have in vinyl (maybe) and you take it from there on the DAC chain you mention in your post else … not much one should say. Furthermore present DACs when fed with seriously made rips are likely to fool many perhaps not you .. although I doubt that they wouldn't :)

Hi Frantz,
This is great advice. Most of my post is an observation about the comments made of the vinyl rips that the group in the Pacific Northwest audio club heard and described in the Merging+NADAC thread. They listened to rips made from two analog sources. There was little discussion about what those sources where, or how they were made, so I could not add details in my OP but kept my points general in nature about what vinyl rips tell us.

I have knowingly listened to only one vinyl rip in my life on a good home audio system. I am not including listening to rips through my desk top computer speakers. That one vinyl rip was indeed made, as you suggest, by Bruce Brown. I heard it yesterday. It was of a Madonna song. I don't know how it was made, but I think I read that he is planning to upgrade his ADC. His vinyl rips, from everything I have read, are of the highest quality, so I was looking forward to hearing this rip because it was made on his SME turntable. I was curious to hear if it sounded like an analog source, hence my "Where analog meets digital" phrase. However, something sounded strange with this particular rip, as I mentioned. All three of us heard it. I do not know why it sounded strange. I suspect it had something to do with playing it back in the HQPlayer/NADAC chain in the superb system I heard it. But I really can't say. Anyway, that did not last long and we moved back to standard digital and analog listening.

The point I am trying to make, perhaps not clearly enough, is that one should not conclude from listening to a vinyl rip, what the analog playback chain and original LP sound like in the original system in which it was ripped. That sound is different because it is played through a different system - amps, speakers, cables - and in a different room. So, I can not conclude from hearing this rip that the analog playback in Bruce's system sounds anything like what I heard yesterday. I did not think that this is a controversial idea.

I started this thread because I got the sense from reading the Merging+NADAC thread that some assumptions were made about the vinyl rips and what the systems on which they were made, actually sounded like. The people at that audio meeting I do not think should make that assumption. There may have been something wrong there as well because of the negative comments about the rips and not about the other digital. That is all.

Anyway, that is my thought on this. I'm curious to learn what others may think.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
The point I am trying to make, perhaps not clearly enough, is that one should not conclude from listening to a vinyl rip, what the analog playback chain and original LP sound like in the original system in which it was ripped. That sound is different because it is played through a different system - amps, speakers, cables - and in a different room. So, I can not conclude from hearing this rip that the analog playback in Bruce's system sounds anything like what I heard yesterday. I did not think that this is a controversial idea.

You arrived at this theory/conclusion - by listening to 1 rip?

(big BIG sigh)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Arggh ... yet another "I think" theory ... void of any ACTUALITY!

Again, the digital rec.equipment/format of choice used for ripping vinyl, although important to a relative degree, is of minor influence ... when compared to ALL the important variables within the entire analog chain, its overall setup, refinements, the quality of the LP, how it's prepped, and ESPECIALLY the generational influences of the pressing itself ... ALL these variables are -MUCH- more influential to the end result.

Learning to rip takes time and experience past one's choice of ADC/DAC, and Fremer rips tells that tale ... although he's progressively getting better ... his initial rips posted for comparisons on his site were near useless, very noisy, totally opaque, they almost sounded "soft limited" and very disappointing especially given the $$$,$$$ equipment used. Like all things audiophile, actual hands-on experience trumps theory every time.

TBone, I understand your criticism. Have you heard an LP played on one analog system and then a vinyl rip of that LP played back in a different system somewhere else? If so, could you tell us if the two sounded the same? I have not actually done this, but I wanted to start the conversation.

I admit full well that I have not done this comparison. And I will also assume for the sake of argument that the vinyl rip is a "perfect copy" of the original LP. So essentially, the sound from the rip and the sound from the original turntable/arm/cartridge/cable/phono amp used for the rip are the same when heard in the same system.

Now, we take the rip and play it in a different system. It would be just like taking the actual physical analog front end into the new system and playing it. Do you think the LP in one location would sound like the analog rip of the LP in a different location, given that the two systems are different? That is the heart of my question.

I think the question can be asked and discussed as "Arggh ... yet another "I think" theory ... void of any ACTUALITY!"

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My question is.... Are we already at the pinnacle of ADCs? Maybe lets ask this more pointedly. As we do know from practice different ADCs end up sounding different through the same DAC in the same system, whether mic feed, DI box or any other line source like an analog playback system, are ADC's really there yet? If the answer is yes. Might the proponents of the perfect copy theory please tell us WHICH ADC is perfect?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing