What is the correlation b/w measurements and good sound?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Measurements can be manipulated.All kind of ills can be masked with copious amounts of negative feedback.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
My Audio Buddy has a pair of CLS, driven by Parasound, with Rythmik F12G subwoofers.

He has an SPL meter and a 30 band digital EQ. I need to get over there and see what a sweep looks like. Sounds good, though!

Oooooh! Happy days with my old departed pair of CLS iiZ, I would be most interested in your results Ray, most probably sound great yet measure like Pooh!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's just marketing. Rarely does anything measure truly bad. It depends on definition of good. Frankly 1% distortion isn't worth raising an eyebrow, but we nit-pick at thousands of a percent all day. How you achieve distortion figures means more than the figures themselves.

Dynamix

Banned
Feb 24, 2016
Scandinavistan
Is that where our Trans Galactical Probe ended up !

Nah, it landed in my backyard. I'm currently salvaging pieces of it that I'm planning to use for the audiophile tweaks I'm going to market. "NASA technology" and all that...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just a tad nebulous Greg.
There are such things as "octave smoothing" "A-weighted, etc." To go even further most measurements are subject to varying interpretations.

Dynamix

Banned
Feb 24, 2016
Scandinavistan
There are such things as "octave smoothing" "A-weighted, etc." To go even further most measurements are subject to varying interpretations.

Yes, and some people know how to interpret meausurements (and knows when to ask for more), and some people don't.
Those who don't are usually from the "measurements are meaningless" camp.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Nah, it landed in my backyard. I'm currently salvaging pieces of it that I'm planning to use for the audiophile tweaks I'm going to market. "NASA technology" and all that...

If only a few yards to the left sigh!

Anyhoo, I am on the cusp of launching my new business venture, Area51 Audio Tm, so no corporate trespassing please.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes, and some people know how to interpret meausurements (and knows when to ask for more), and some people don't.
Those who don't are usually from the "measurements are meaningless" camp.
That is the sort of Catch 22 argument that I have no hope of settling here. There are those who have mastered measurements and readily admit to there shortcomings. I fall in the group of not really knowing how to interpret measurements. I have picked up a few things here and there. It just brings us to that fire flame argument of ,can you trust your ears. So I don't think measurements are meaningless. Trying to find someone who really understands measurements and,is willing to be candid about them is difficult and rare.

Dynamix

Banned
Feb 24, 2016
Scandinavistan
If only a few yards to the left sigh!

Anyhoo, I am on the cusp of launching my new business venture, Area51 Audio Tm, so no corporate trespassing please.

No problem. I'm thinking "Visitors Inc" or "I Want To Believe Audio".

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
What I "measure", that I find important, is distortion. Of the system in total. But I do it subjectively, using my ears only. In the same way one can "measure" how quiet the interior of a car is, not by an soundmeter reading, but by listening for extraneous noises, the rattles and buzzes so to speak. They may not have a high acoustic level, but they are extremely irritating, in a car!

In an audio system this is something one can learn to do, by using the 'right' recordings to provoke the system to misbehave - the process of eliminating "rattles and buzzes" in an audio setup ends up giving one good sound ...

BE718

Sep 30, 2015

Thats only an issue to the uninformed. Marketing will always try the bigger/smaller number better routine.

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
What I "measure", that I find important, is distortion. Of the system in total. But I do it subjectively, using my ears only. In the same way one can "measure" how quiet the interior of a car is, not by an soundmeter reading, but by listening for extraneous noises, the rattles and buzzes so to speak. They may not have a high acoustic level, but they are extremely irritating, in a car!

In an audio system this is something one can learn to do, by using the 'right' recordings to provoke the system to misbehave - the process of eliminating "rattles and buzzes" in an audio setup ends up giving one good sound ...

Thats not measurement, thats guesswork. Thats just tuning to your personal preference, which of course there is nothing wrong in doing so.

The other night a bunch of audiophile friends thought a recording of a DAC output was superior to the original. (blind test) It of course had been degraded in every respect by the re-recording process.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

That's fine except you're really trying to gauge the amount of noise in the system, and clipping. You couldn't tell a 5% distortion from a .0005% distortion by ear.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Thats not measurement, thats guesswork. Thats just tuning to your personal preference, which of course there is nothing wrong in doing so. The other night a bunch of audiophile friends thought a recording of a DAC output was superior to the original. (blind test) It of course had been degraded in every respect by the re-recording process.
So if you get into your car, and there's a rattling noise that wasn't there yesterday, then it's only a guess that perhaps something is not quite correct? Would you require someone to do a spectral analysis of the interior sounds, before thinking it might be worthwhile lifting the bonnet, or having a quick gaze under the vehicle? My personal preference is for a system to work 'correctly', not 'wrongly' - "superior" means nothing unless it actually relates to an absence of flaws ... if I didn't want to hear unpleasant noises inside my car then as a quick fix I could always stuff cotton wool in my ears - that's classy problem solving, right there ...

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
That's fine except you're really trying to gauge the amount of noise in the system, and clipping. You couldn't tell a 5% distortion from a .0005% distortion by ear.
The answer is to focus in on precisely one aspect that's wrong - one and only one for the moment - you're looking for a signature to the system sound. If the playback is "perfect" then it has no signature, it just sounds like the original instruments and the distinctive quality of the recording environment, which includes the electronics used at that time. As soon as you hear the same quality, in some area of the reproduction, being imparted to the sound through a diverse range of recordings then you know you've got distortion of the playback happening. Of course, you may like that "tonality" being injected all the time, but personally I don't ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
if you have a human designed device you have distortion.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Though, the good news is that the level of distortion can be reduced to a point where it's not audibly significant - audiophiles recognise this in a system, except they call it "magical", "organic", "immersive", "just music", "natural", etc, etc, etc ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing