low end dsd adc

Harlan Brezhler

Feb 19, 2016
Hello:

I also read the 'which is the best ad converter' thread and have a question about this new Korg ds-dac-10r.

For location recording I am looking into the Korg mr1000,mr2, ds dac 10r, pcm d100, or a portable pcm high quality converter.

Bruce you were recommending the mr2 somewhere and then I had also read that you preferred the Tascam da3000.
(currently I'm only looking at portable machines). Mainly I'm interested in the adc side not the dac or anything else.

Is it still worthwhile to purchase the mr2 vs. the dac 10r?
Is 256mhz much better than 128mhz?
Do you feel that it is only worthwhile getting into dsd at a higher quality point, ie the da3000, or would it better to stay with a high quality pcm vs lower end portable dsd?

(I posted this in the DAC section with no replies, please delete my other posting)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would definitely stay away from something that is no longer supported. Also, as far as I know, the Korg DS DAC 10r needs a computer to record to (AudioGate software). For remote recording, it's not very convenient. The reason I like the Korg MR2/MR2000s and the Tascam DA-3000 is that they have either a hard drive or SD cards built in to record to. Everything is all inclusive. I also like the Tascam because it has digital in/out so you can use a higher end A/D converter if you like.
As of this moment, I still don't think Quad DSD will give you any more than Double DSD. The returns are not worth it and on lower end converters, I highly doubt you will hear a difference. I'm still not convinced I hear a difference even on my Horus.

Harlan Brezhler

Feb 19, 2016
Thanks, that helps narrow the field.

The DA3000 is too big so it's out of the running.

I might be able to figure a way to make the ds dac 10r portable.

The mr2 is not capable of 5.6Mhz, just 2.8Mhz. Right now I'm trying to decide between 2.8Mhz and 5.6Mhz or higher end pcm.

Is there a big difference between 2.8 and 5.6? and would either be preferred to a higher end pcm?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks, that helps narrow the field.

The DA3000 is too big so it's out of the running.

I might be able to figure a way to make the ds dac 10r portable.

The mr2 is not capable of 5.6Mhz, just 2.8Mhz. Right now I'm trying to decide between 2.8Mhz and 5.6Mhz or higher end pcm.

Is there a big difference between 2.8 and 5.6? and would either be preferred to a higher end pcm?

Yes, there is a much larger difference between 2.8 and 5.6 than 5.6 and Quad. If I had a choice between higher end pcm and single rate DSD, I'd pick the PCM.

Harlan Brezhler

Feb 19, 2016
Great that about answers everything for me. So entry point into dsd must be 5.6Mhz which is the mr-1000 or ds-dac-10r. Hopefully someone will come out with a smaller footprint solution soon enough.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have been pondering the exact same question

Bruces answers concur with my research

The Tascam is great as is standalone and you can add better outboard converters and it supports spdif 3 for DSD

The korg 2000 I have used and has a hard drive and you can input and export files with a computer

My own use of dsd recordings concurs with Bruce in double dad 5.6 is big difference

This is if for no other reason than that the noise is pushed way higher

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
i just had a though...what about the older Korg mr 1000, this was portable and supports dsd 5.6 and has a hard drive

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
i just had a though...what about the older Korg mr 1000, this was portable and supports dsd 5.6 and has a hard drive

They are fine if you can find one. I just don't like buying things that are not current and without a warranty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing