Denon Receiver as Pre/Pro

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Does anyone have any opinions on the newest Denon receivers when used as a pre/pro? I currently use a 4806 as my pre/pro/surround amps (the weak link in my system...) and am considering various ways to upgrade the performance of this section. I've thought about the Denon AVP pre/pro, but would also need 3 channels of amplification = $$$ right now.

Are any of the new receivers equipped with a preamp section that would better the performance of the 4806?

Thanks,

Lee

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I've thought about the Denon AVP pre/pro, but would also need 3 channels of amplification = $$$ right now.

While not free, there are some incredible amps available for three channels. I am using one that has three channels of 200 watts each. I'm using it to drive my rear channels and was using it to drive my center until I got a powered center channel. see http://www.emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm for about $500. Check it out!

I am stunned that this kind of quality and horsepower is available at this price point. There may be other options as well.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Chuck,

Thanks. I've looked at Emotiva, and they are good value. I was thinking the Krell KAV3250 when I made the $$$ comment. Since going from an all-Krell electronics chain in my two channel rig to the Denon for multichannel, this was the only piece I had to use to fill the gap. I'm also thinking of the top Integra pre-pro, etc. Still looking.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Sure. There are a number of features that have been developed since the 4806 although that one, imho, was probably the first of the modern line in many ways. Take a look at the 4311.

I'm familiar with the new line of receivers, but am primarily concerned with the 2 channel preamp performance in "Pure Direct". My local dealer says that only the 5308 may have a better sounding preamp section than my 4806, but I'm not sure. With inventory levels so low in this economy, it's hard to get a lot of home trials to examine things.

Lee

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I think Denons are great choices here. The internal amps has gone down a bit in quality but the preamp part is still great. Going for a 4520 rather than the Marantz prepro, which most likely is the same circuitry, is a good choice. I'm going to run a 2807 as prepro for a few years until stepping up to 11-channel (even if I have speakers abd cables ready for that already).

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I have a 2807 in the system in my gym, excellent performer/value. I stepped up to the Krell S12003D for my main processor since I started this thread a couple years ago. Your suggestions are right on, though!

Lee

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Listening in Pure Direct with an external amp means you are using none of the features a new AVR would provide. Might as well stick with yours or look into a new preamp instead.

Edit: If you are looking to upgrade overall, then I agree with the 4311 or 4520, or any AVR/prepro (Marantz AV8801 comes to mind) that offer Audyssey XT32 -- huge step up in the number of filters and room correction capability. Plus you'd get the latest surround formats.

Last edited:

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I'm familiar with the new line of receivers, but am primarily concerned with the 2 channel preamp performance in "Pure Direct". My local dealer says that only the 5308 may have a better sounding preamp section than my 4806, but I'm not sure. With inventory levels so low in this economy, it's hard to get a lot of home trials to examine things.

Given how good the preamp in 4806 is, I'd say you'd be wasting money trying to find more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing