DCS Or LAMPIZATOR- YOUR CONSIDERATIONS.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I've now had my 'replacement' Elrog 300b's running on the 2a3/101d setting on the SE GG for 4 months, listening 2-5 hours daily.....without one issue. my first set did 'go weak' with the 300b setting after about 150 hours.

and I think they are better than any other tube I've heard as far as the combination of space, mid range magic, nuance and agility. there is no slowing down the snap or bass articulation compared to the Psvane 300b.....which does get a bit 'thick' compared to the 101d or 45.

I also own the Psvane 101d WE Replicas, the Psvane 300b WE Replicas, and the NU 45's. the 'melt into' mid range of the Elrog is really nice. the word visitors have used is 'glorious'.

my preferred recti is the Takatsuki 274b.

Cool - that is great Mike. 2-5 hrs listening a day is awesome and I am very jealous. Your visitors use of the word "glorious" makes me smile because it really does sound that way with 300b's. I ought to try the Elrog - I am using Kron 300b balloons that have an addictive midrange that no other tube type surpasses IMHO.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Bill, you are a Total Kron guy!

KR45/px4 and 300B!
Only Kron tubes I tried were the 242.

I mostly have EML...300b/and the 2 mesh 45.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Was talking to Thomas Meyer and he said the ELROG 300B has a really fine filament which is a reason why it sounds so good. Consequently, it isn't very robust, but TBH I can't see a Lampi giving it a hard time.

He said he inspired ELROG to do the 300B.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, you are a Total Kron guy!

KR45/px4 and 300B!
Only Kron tubes I tried were the 242.

I mostly have EML...300b/and the 2 mesh 45.

Norman - you forgot my Kron 274b recti ;)

In all seriousness the Kron recti is like installing a turbo or supercharger in your car. I would not recommend it with a 101d or 242 heaven forbid. But if you found a really rich, mellow, and fruity 300b or 45 but it lacks a little punch of dynamics, this is your boy.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Norman - you forgot my Kron 274b recti ;)

In all seriousness the Kron recti is like installing a turbo or supercharger in your car. I would not recommend it with a 101d or 242 heaven forbid. But if you found a really rich, mellow, and fruity 300b or 45 but it lacks a little punch of dynamics, this is your boy.

Oh I love it with 242. Or 101D.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Was talking to Thomas Meyer and he said the ELROG 300B has a really fine filament which is a reason why it sounds so good. Consequently, it isn't very robust, but TBH I can't see a Lampi giving it a hard time.

He said he inspired ELROG to do the 300B.

I have to agree.......it's superb, very sexy sound.

a number of folks have had issues with the Elrog 300b's on the GG (do a search, particularly on Audiogon). so after my first set failed the manufacturer investigated the GG circuit and then recommended to my dealer that I use the 101d/45 setting. the performance did not change but it's been smooth sailing since.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Harlequin one more for your consideration - though I did listen to it compared to the Feickert Firebird at Munich Rossini - Spectral

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Reg Elrogs I did use the 101d setting in my lampi I know it's a lower Hester current and voltage. But they were also used in my woo wa5 amps as well. For me as it was a waist of money cause they worked when putting them away. And six months later do not. I do not know anyone but who I boight them from and am stuck with new Looking tubes that both have Heater issues. To add to it I know someone who has two pairs and two of the four wee bad shortly. He was smart and lucky to Ames them back under warentee. I am not so lucky. Who makes tubes that are new and work
Then stored and do not work. Elrog does.
Never will I buy anything from them. See my point.
For me the new eml globes seem better to me.
I have about sixty pairs of tubes new and old now. Only one tube has gone bad a 6A3 tungsol. I fixed it by soldering the socket
There is some thing very wrong when it's well known in public forums hat the tubes go bad. The company does nothing to fix it. He k is issue has been know for a few years. This is not cool.
My next tube to try is the PX4

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, I am newbie here. Not sure why but my eyes are set on Lampizator GG balanced. Haven't auditioned it yet but my heart felt for that already.

Hi, what's the rest of your system

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
I am using Auralic Aries, PS Audio Directstream DAC, Aesthetix Eclipse Linestage, Aesthetix Atlas mono amp. Currently the weak link is my Sonus Faber Toy Tower but I will only upgrade that after getting a better dac. :)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I am using Auralic Aries, PS Audio Directstream DAC, Aesthetix Eclipse Linestage, Aesthetix Atlas mono amp. Currently the weak link is my Sonus Faber Toy Tower but I will only upgrade that after getting a better dac. :)
talk to AlRainbow...he sold his DS and is keeping his Lampi b7 headdac and his recently upgraded b7...yes he's has 2 lampis and boxes of tubes.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
talk to AlRainbow...he sold his DS and is keeping his Lampi b7 headdac and his recently upgraded b7...yes he's has 2 lampis and boxes of tubes.

Thanks! I am still new in this forum and still guessing around how to use it. LOL. I saw one ads on GG Balanced for sale yesterday. The problem is, I have to use google translate to communicate with the seller. :(

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks! I am still new in this forum and still guessing around how to use it. LOL. I saw one ads on GG Balanced for sale yesterday. The problem is, I have to use google translate to communicate with the seller. :(

There is a balanced GG for sale in New York for an interesting price. See Audiogon. I suppose you were not referring to this GG?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I would suggest putting more budget on your speaker and getting the Big 7. The B7 is very close to GG if you put in 242 valves. You can always upgrade later at low costs. Also, start with single ended, check if you like PX4 or the 300b or the 242, and then go balanced, as that will save you much on costs now and then you can upgrade

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Thanks Bonzo75. I had that thought earlier and right now, I think upgrading the speaker would be very costly judging from the model I am eyeing. I have just made several purchases which I didn't initially plan on like Trinnov Altitude 32 surround processor, Lumagen Pro 4242 and a full set of Massif Audio Design rack. I just received the Trinnov, Lumagen is fully paid while the dealer loaned me another model before they got here. Massif racks, fully paid except the shipping cost and I guess, they're now being made. These three upgrade had sucked out most of my budget for speaker upgrade. So, I am left only with DAC upgrade option. Yes, I will need to do another big saving for speaker upgrade in the future.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing