ZYX UNIverse Supreme ll / SME 3012R versus Ortofon Anna /Graham Phantom Elite

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Another great read, Ron, thanks! FWIW, I've been listening to that Amanda McBroom LP since I was practically a kid, and I've always thought her voice is rather alto rather than "deep", as you put it wrt ZYX.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Brilliant Stuff, Ron! You are becoming a trusted and reliable source. Unfortunately, when others write reviews today, their tone reeks of vested interests. They come across as the Marketing Executive for the audio brand. The other guys are fake, while you are authentic.

More! More! More! More!

P.S. I have read some of the best audio writing on this site from you, Al, PeterA, Mobiusman, Marty, and others whom I can't recall at the moment.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hey Steve,

Obviously, I waaay behind on my reading, but I had no idea you had one of the best turntables in the world! Congratulations!!!! I always thought you were a playback designs DSD dude...

If you don't mind me asking, how did you pick the TechDas? And why did you pick the TechDas over, say, a Walker?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, ack and caesar. I am glad you are enjoying the reviews!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thank you, ack and caesar. I am glad you are enjoying the reviews!

Yeap, all of them; and because we don't laud you with each and everyone of them that doesn't mean they are not all superb!

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Brilliant Stuff, Ron! You are becoming a trusted and reliable source. Unfortunately, when others write reviews today, their tone reeks of vested interests. They come across as the Marketing Executive for the audio brand. The other guys are fake, while you are authentic.

More! More! More! More!

P.S. I have read some of the best audio writing on this site from you, Al, PeterA, Mobiusman, Marty, and others whom I can't recall at the moment.

I agree entirely. Great post Caesar.:D

WBF perhaps should consider a blog for reviews by invited reviewers. The talent on here is amazing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hate to rain on the praise parade here and not doubting what Ron heard on the day.

A somewhat flawed review as each cartridge was listened to on different tonearms. Over a period of a couple of hours not weeks like most reviews?

Is this what reviews have become now?

Why couldn't the cartridges have been changed over to the other tonearm and listened to for a week or so, or at least the next weekend?

Just makes analog reviewers like Fremer and our Myles Astor well worth their time and effort spent reviewing and listening to cartridges - IMO

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi which is why my review says SME+zyx vs Graham+Anna, and recommends not using Graham + Anna, and instead trying Anna on SME or Kuzma 4P. While one cannot choose between Zyx and Anna based on that review, one can decide to choose not having Anna on a Graham - and investigating further from there. For example I checked my findings with ddk and he too said it was the Graham holding the Anna back. It should be seen as a collective review - for example Steve has heard it more than a couple of hours - he lives with those combos.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post385049

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Bonzo. My main point is this is classed as a review and published in Mono & Stereo. Reviews are not generally published after a listening session of a couple of hours.

However, if the "reviewer"never bothered to change tonearms he had at his disposal, it can't seriously be viewed as a review imo.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Hi Bonzo. My main point is this is classed as a review and published in Mono & Stereo. Reviews are not generally published after a listening session of a couple of hours.

However, if the "reviewer"never bothered to change tonearms he had at his disposal, it can't seriously be viewed as a review imo.

Agreed, and more than just changing arms for comparison ... the most difficult items to "review" are analog based ... much time, w/proper references, and a bevy of experience is required. An afternoon listening session, is just that, an afternoon listening session.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
When reviewing cartridges or tonearms there are so many variables it is crazy! The wrong VTF, the wrong SRA, the wrong VTA, the wrong azimuth, the incompatible phono cable, the wrong cartridge loading, the wrong phono stage...and on and on and on!!
The only real way to determine the sound of a cartridge in one's system is to mount it on the tonearm that one uses and listen in one's own system for some extended period of time. Unfortunately this is virtually impossible to do
with numerous cartridges. An example of this is occurring with me right now, in another thread I ask about the Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru. It seems that few people have actually heard or use this cart.Yet, there is a general opinion that
it is probably great in the mids and soft everywhere else. Whether this is actually a set-up issue or other upline fault is unknown; but the 'stigma' is enough to give me second thoughts!
The example above of the Anna being less than a great match to the Graham is very interesting. This is not something that I would have expected, but it is also not that surprising given all of the above!!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
When reviewing cartridges or tonearms there are so many variables it is crazy! The wrong VTF, the wrong SRA, the wrong VTA, the wrong azimuth, the incompatible phono cable, the wrong cartridge loading, the wrong phono stage...and on and on and on!!
The only real way to determine the sound of a cartridge in one's system is to mount it on the tonearm that one uses and listen in one's own system for some extended period of time. Unfortunately this is virtually impossible to do
with numerous cartridges. An example of this is occurring with me right now, in another thread I ask about the Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru. It seems that few people have actually heard or use this cart.Yet, there is a general opinion that
it is probably great in the mids and soft everywhere else. Whether this is actually a set-up issue or other upline fault is unknown; but the 'stigma' is enough to give me second thoughts!
The example above of the Anna being less than a great match to the Graham is very interesting. This is not something that I would have expected, but it is also not that surprising given all of the above!!

I don't think one should infer that the sound of the Anna on the Graham Elite arm was shabby at all. It isn't. I have lived with and listened to it since last August and now the SME 3012R arm with the ZYX UNIverse Supreme 2 cartridge for the past 2 months as well. I must admit I am interested in how each cartridge would sound on the other arm.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

What-ever take away you get, from above, fine, good social media ... FWIW, IMO, all that jazz ... b/c the Anna uses a very aggressive stylus (replicant100) it may require VERY careful setup & matching. Like many aggressive stylus/stiffer cant types, performance goes south quickly when all the proper conditions are not met. I don't use Orts anymore b/c my preferred loading method dictates otherwise, but I consider 'em the best built carts in the business bar none. Tonearm choice is another matter altogether, esp with carts that throw a ton of energy back into the arm/TT, which IME aggressive stylus carts seem to do. Ironically, my only real exp with Koetsu is past afternoon listening sessions ... no worthwhile takeaway to express there.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
you also have to look at the cartridge<->phono stage optimization too....both gain and loading. and even phono cable.

it all matters at the top of the food chain.

I love my MC Anna but have not heard that ZYX so who knows how it would shake out when thoroughly vetted.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
it all matters at the top of the food chain.

absolutely, even thermal issues w/both the mechanics and electronics are monitored and optimized in my system, esp when archiving/ripping.

I love my MC Anna but have not heard that ZYX so who knows how it would shake out when thoroughly vetted.

The ZYX types are getting more popular in these hills, people seem to luv 'em, but that can be said for any brand eventually. So far, I've found 'em consistently a touch too soft, or as some may claim, "smoother", esp at the freq.extremes, a characteristic that may very-well compliment some systems/people more than others ... but all that is really here-nor-there considering my limited experiences with such.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The ZYX types are getting more popular in these hills, people seem to luv 'em, but that can be said for any brand eventually. So far, I've found 'em consistently a touch too soft, or as some may claim, "smoother", esp at the freq.extremes, a characteristic that may very-well compliment some systems/people more than others ... but all that is really here-nor-there considering my limited experiences with such.

Interesting observation that the Zyx' are soft at the frequency extremes. I do find that ride cymbals sound softer than I would like but didn't know why...

Do you hear the same thing with deep bass?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Do you hear the same thing with deep bass?

Can't really recall specific details with any accuracy, I do remember feeling at times that certain more dynamic LP were presented perhaps a bit too polite for my taste, but again, that's not necessarily a bad trait. I strongly suspect you have farrrrr more knowledge of these particular carts, in a relatively static environment for eval, than I ...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I strongly suspect you have farrrrr more knowledge of these particular carts, in a relatively static environment for eval, than I ...

Actually not really. Before my Zyx I've only owned Dynavector, so not much personal experience with carts!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing