Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: ZYX UNIverse Supreme ll / SME 3012R versus Ortofon Anna /Graham Phantom Elite

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    The other factor that no one has mentioned yet is the difference in arm lengths and I know that must be a very big factor
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Hi Steve.

an easy swap is the tonearm cables. swap them over and let us know what you hear.

cheers
    Do both tonearm cables have the same termination into the arm? I thought the SME is a DIN connection and the Graham has RCA? I could be wrong.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    The other factor that no one has mentioned yet is the difference in arm lengths and I know that must be a very big factor
    Steve, I seem to remember that the two armboards are also slightly different. The main mount on the right is integral to the main body of the turntable and the armboard in the back is a cantilever. They may even be different materials and take different length arms. This too would contribute to differences in sound. There are so many variables. I found this photo:

Name:  9720_1_IMG_8250-TechDAS-Air-Force-One-turntable_large.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  50.9 KB
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Do both tonearm cables have the same termination into the arm? I thought the SME is a DIN connection and the Graham has RCA? I could be wrong.
    actually it's the other way around
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

As I posted before, there are numerous variables in the set up and running of an analog front end. There is a camp that strongly believes that a DIN connection at the tonearm is the only way to go, conversely there are people who believe that no connections should be between the cartridge pins and the connection to the phono preamp. Just as there is a strong movement for extreme rigidity in the tonearm and of the cartridge mounting connection to the headshell ( or lack thereof). IME, all of these points have value and are to be considered...assuming that one has the basics correct first. ( correct setting of the VTF and VTA and SRA and lastly...azimuth). I think the difference in arm length is also a factor...as Steve points out. Interestingly, MF has gone away from the 'longer is better' camp ( no jokes here) and now states that the extra length of a tonearm is not beneficial due to the decrease in rigidity and potential fulcrum problems..vs. the benefit of 'slightly' better geometry. Many thoughts here, but I personally believe that one's ears have to be the final arbiter...and if an a'phile is happy with his set up, then that is all that is truly required. Steve, if you are happy with your Graham/ Anna combo, then all else is moot, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I knew the Graham was SME mount by looking at the photos in Mono&Stereo so is DIN. I just assumed the SME was DIN like all their production arms, however as Steve has confirmed it is indeed RCA.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3, Technics SP10mk3, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas SL, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    As I posted before, there are numerous variables in the set up and running of an analog front end. There is a camp that strongly believes that a DIN connection at the tonearm is the only way to go, conversely there are people who believe that no connections should be between the cartridge pins and the connection to the phono preamp. Just as there is a strong movement for extreme rigidity in the tonearm and of the cartridge mounting connection to the headshell ( or lack thereof). IME, all of these points have value and are to be considered...assuming that one has the basics correct first. ( correct setting of the VTF and VTA and SRA and lastly...azimuth). I think the difference in arm length is also a factor...as Steve points out. Interestingly, MF has gone away from the 'longer is better' camp ( no jokes here) and now states that the extra length of a tonearm is not beneficial due to the decrease in rigidity and potential fulcrum problems..vs. the benefit of 'slightly' better geometry. Many thoughts here, but I personally believe that one's ears have to be the final arbiter...and if an a'phile is happy with his set up, then that is all that is truly required. Steve, if you are happy with your Graham/ Anna combo, then all else is moot, IMHO.
    All else is moot Davey. I'm really happy with the two setups. Merely different flavors. I happen to enjoy both. Perhaps when David visits again we can do that experiment as I am most interested.
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456