Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: CJ Announces GAT Series 2

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    That is very interesting, LL21!

I am wading into the vintage tube waters, and I hope not to drown in cost and confusion.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    That is very interesting, LL21!

I am wading into the vintage tube waters, and I hope not to drown in cost and confusion.
    Hey Ron - I think it is very clear to me that when great designers with mature designs build them around a specific tube (Lamm, CJ, Aesthetix), i think you are in very good hands...and equally if not more importantly, very RELIABLE hands. That reliability and consistency is incredibly important as you already know, in trying to calibrate and voice a system in a room.

For me, I was having trouble with the original Electroharmonix stock tubes of the original CJ...and needed something super-robust. The military grade Mullards were it...and never once gave out other than age (ie, well over 3 years of significant playing). (The EHs would go out in a matter of a few months sometimes.)

So for me, it seems that I have already voiced the system for the Mullards...and therefore, it is not at all critical of the Philips which by most if not all accounts is a great tube for the CJ GAT 2. It is simply a personal choice I have made some time ago for reasons above, which I am happy to keep.
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Thank you for that background, LL21.

Jim White knows I'm going to use the .23 mV output ZYX, so I'm sure he will do his best with the tubes. The stock tubes may well be perfectly okay. I have enormous confidence in Jim. I am certainly hoping that the stock tubes will be all I need.

But I am taking Kedar's and Greg Beron's suggestion to acquire some vintage tubes as back-ups. I am going to have the Io forever, so there's no harm in having a small collection of vintage tubes for it. I suspect those tubes will only get more rare and expensive over time.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Thank you for that background, LL21.

Jim White knows I'm going to use the .23 mV output ZYX, so I'm sure he will do his best with the tubes. The stock tubes may well be perfectly okay. I have enormous confidence in Jim. I am certainly hoping that the stock tubes will be all I need.

But I am taking Kedar's and Greg Beron's suggestion to acquire some vintage tubes as back-ups. I am going to have the Io forever, so there's no harm in having a small collection of vintage tubes for it. I suspect those tubes will only get more rare and expensive over time.
    Most manufacturers will likely say stick with stock, because unlike individuals, they have a liability. Nothing you dont already know. However, I would say in many cases, the manufacturers are probably correct...and those that care enough should definitely be correct or at least guide you to some alternatives that could work for you.
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789