How fast should my computer be?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Looks good. Does anyone know if there are other connectors for external HD's? That thin thing is pathetic and doomed to leave you with an HD you can't access. I don't understand the obsession with pathetic made to fail connectors... that alone is a reason to buy an iPhone/pad right now.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Answering the original question: the computer should be no faster than you should a bear come chasing both of you.....

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You really need to outline your priorities for features to help decide. For example, portability (2-in-1, tablet or notebook), screen size, then touch. After that, all other components are common - processor, gfx, memory, storage, ports, etc. If you are landing on a desktop, I would not recommend an AIO (All in One). Having built them for years with several OEMs/ODMs they are a nightmare of a design waiting to break. If you do buy one, get the extended warranty, in this case it's well worth it.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Absent the issues related to hardware speed mentioned above, the other factor is how "fast" your internet provider is.

I was with Century Link. Download speed below 1 MB per second. :eek:

Switched to Charter. 50 to 60 MB per second. A "slow" computer suddenly became very quick.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I could only get 8 mbit/sec with CenturyTell. I paid for dual link at 15 mbit/sec but cost $110/month. Comcast finally ran their cable to our home and we now get about 170 mbit/sec for half the price. Live is good! :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some people in the USA and some Northern European countries get 1,000 MBPS. They can download quantum physic encyclopedias with 16K videos @ over the speed of light!

Here, on a wet day like today, I got about 0.22 MBPS. They don't have copper wires yet delivered to our igloos; we're on microwave audio signals generated by cold energy (polar ice). Youtube looks like Donald Trump on a good day! :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ouch. That is the speed we got for a while at our vacation house using the only option which was 3G cellular. Was happy to have it but boy was it slow.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's ok for slow people. :b

Look @ PC from twenty years ago with almost no RAM, and 40GB hard drive. Now you get 1,000 times better inside your watch!
Look @ cell phones from ten years ago with say the new Samsung Galaxy S7.

Look @ forty years ago when everyone was talking to everyone and jogging outside.
Today people commute on metros, buses, airplanes and all who they talk to is their screens.
They don't see the birds outside, the horses, the rabbits and they run no more chasing the girls. They stats dating and they finally have more choices instantly, instead of wasting time or ... :b

We are more consumers than ever, and our toys we just love them, as much as our pets.
Speed is time, and time is on the short supply on Earth. We need infinite time, and immortality if we want to make it to the next galaxy. :b
* I'll get more speed soon...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing