Foundational Recordings

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I had an enjoyable exchange with another forum member the other day and it inspired me to share the focus of that talk.

When we either evaluate or discuss audio system performance, we will play certain recordings that we feel will illuminate the strengths and weaknesses of a system. I mentioned the concept of "foundational recordings". To me, the audiophile history has held certain recordings as perennial favorites and references. This is not to say that these are the only excellent recordings in existence, but rather that they are well-known enough that they may be referred to in discussions about a system's sound and how various aspects of these recordings are reproduced on a given system. Just as in various scientific endeavors, certain "controls" are put in place as standard experimental conditions, so that the plague of confounding variables can hopefully be eliminated. In my work, when testing devices which handle blood, engineers hold blood temperature and hematocrit (red blood cell % in the liquid which determines viscosity) constant so that changes in flow and pressure can be attributed to the device under test. Likewise, it makes sense to me that when audiophiles compare system performances, they have a common ground from which to describe auditory impressions.

There have been many "lists" of recordings that might serve this purpose, here's a couple examples:

Harry Pearson's Super Disc List, which has appeared for decades in The Absolute Sound, recently listing both LP and CD recommendations.

Penguin Guide, which lists many versions of works and ranks them sonically and performance-wise

The point is: I believe it makes sense to have SOME recordings that are widely used and discussed for system evaluation purposes. Also, and perhaps more importantly, many of these recommended recordings are part of the foundation of audiophile history. Mercury's Living Presence series, RCA's Living Stereo series, the "shaded dog" EMIs, the Blue Notes, the 6-eye Columbias, etc. all have been favorites mentioned more often than others in audiophile literature. Recently, labels such as 2L are making wonderful high-res digital recordings, both in stereo and surround.

I am not suggesting that anyone be told that ONLY recordings from the "famous" lists be used for equipment evaluations, but I firmly believe that having some well-known recordings with detailed descriptions (by many authors) of their sonic attributes assists in the discussions with other audiophiles.

For instance, here are a few of the musical moments that stand out to me, and tell me a great deal about a system's performance:

1. Pavarotti in Rigoletto, where he walks across the stage while beginning the famous aria.

2. Mickey Hart, when he pushes over the "Beast" drum kit on Reference Recordings' Dafos

3. The pizzicato strings on Benjamin Britten's Serenade for Strings from 2L

4. Heifetz's violin entrance in the first movement of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto on RCA Living Stereo

5. The 4th movement of Scheherezade with Reiner and the CSO on RCA Living Stereo

6. The duet between Bonnie Raitt and John Lee Hooker "I'm in the mood" from The Healer on Chameleon Records

There are so many more, and likely your choices may not all be the same, but I hope that our members might suggest some recordings that they feel should be in the "foundational recordings" list to form common ground in discussions around the world.

Thanks for the thoughts to a new friend from across the pond!

Lee

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Here's another few:

Recorda Mea from McCoy Tyner's "New York Reunion" on Chesky. The sax solo that opens the tune is one of the best examples of this instrument in a solo recording I've heard.

Blame it on My Youth, sung by Eden Atwood on Groove Note records. I have this song on a sampler, but I know that there is a full album also. Interestingly, the sampler has both stereo and multichannel versions of this song. Ms. Atwood's beautiful, holographically-presented voice opens the tune alone, followed by a string bass coming in, also very well recorded.

Lee

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If you are talking about a 'reference' record to check your system or your ears or both, one of my go-to records for decades has been Janis Ian's Between the Lines. Standard issue Columbia pressing, mastered by RL, something you should be able to find relatively inexpensively. It was recorded in a small suburban studio not far from where I live in New York, female vocal, string and horn parts, so it covers many bases. The board was an early op-amp board, and the guy behind the recording, Brooks Arthur, has mixed and produced some wonderful stuff over the years. I've talked with Brooks at some length about how he recorded and mixed it, and have a test pressing that really doesn't sound much different than the commercial copies that were sold back in the day. One of the other reasons I like it as a reference is that it isn't a "special" "audiophile" recording- though it sounds great, you are in effect using a standard commercial record to hear the system, check VTA, whatever.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^^ BTL pressing always had a clean natural sound to my ears from day one when I picked up the lp in '75, if I remember correctly on the release timeframe.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
of course; there is always 'Malletoba Spank' from the 4-disc 45rpm pressing of 'Jazz Party In Stereo'. it seems to reveal every tiny little step one way or another. I cringe sometimes when I think of playing it now; but then it speaks to me about where I've come to.

then there is disc one of the 45 rpm box set of 'The Royal Ballet-Gala Performances'' by Ernest Ansermet. a recording masterpiece by K.E. (Kenneth) Wilkerson if ever there was one. love the sound of the busses and subway. every molecule of the room gets energized. it stretches any system to the limits.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
In the original post, I was referring to some recordings that interested audiophiles "should" have, so that we may have a common reference when discussing the sound of various systems and components. So many recordings have been praised in the audiophile literature over the years, I was attempting to get our membership to form a short "consensus" list that should be in everyone's collection.

Lee

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
1. Saul Goodman's Mallets Melody and Mayhem - Columbia 6 eyes Stereo. Side 2 has a wealth of spacing, pinpoint imagine and dynamics.
2. Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman. UK Solid Pink Label. Father and Son track unravels the complexities of blending '2 voices' (from the same singer) and various band instruments. The stage is also breathtaking.
3. La Fille Mal Gardee. UK Decca Wide Band ED1. Glorious soundstage, sweet flute and strings. Great dynamic contrasts from soft to loud.

+1 on Dafos' The Beast track. It is something that has to be experienced at full capabilities of a system.

Mario Martinez

Aug 17, 2016
www.playclassics.com
In the original post, I was referring to some recordings that interested audiophiles "should" have, so that we may have a common reference when discussing the sound of various systems and components. So many recordings have been praised in the audiophile literature over the years, I was attempting to get our membership to form a short "consensus" list that should be in everyone's collection.

Lee

We have been working on this line for years. We have developed a recording technology that will consistently reproduce the same space from the same listening point on all our recordings.

We use a fixed phisical setup with two microphones always placed on the same spot of our auditorium (outside of the stage area). We do not do any mixing o mastering. We have calibrated the phisical setup and the recording chain to be totally transparent (it took us 8 years to get there) But now that we have done that you can hear every recording as if you were in that room.

All things stay equal across recordings (same hall, same piano, same recording setup and gear) that way you can really see what each performer is taking out of the instrument without having other factors affect the sound.

If you are looking for an "absolute sound" of "Foundational Recording" nothing will get closer to the actual sound of the instrument on a real space than what the result of this technology is able to produce.

We have published our results on the Computer Audiophile forum with a lot of success: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...e-giveaway-computer-audiophile-members-26426/

One of the CA users posted a comment that is totally inline with the approach of this thread:

I for one am very happy to see the discussion here about these recordings. Mr. Martinez has given out a valuable reference. Two mics, the same place in the same hall for these different performances. A documentary approach. An approach after my own heart felt opinions regarding proper recording technique.

So much time has been spent talking about the Absolute sound of real music in real space as a reference. The problem is without recordings like PlayClassics has made available you have no chance of accurate appraisals of your playback accuracy. Someone pointed out there is little energy above 15 khz. Yet from an audience perspective without close miking on these instruments that is usually the reality. I have read of people speaking of natural sounding unforced detail in good playback. Here you have the real thing, no need for uptitled response or close miking, plenty of detail and naturally unforced. I would not be surprised if a good many systems have been dulled to compensate for the majority of recordings done with multiple microphones and these excellent recordings may sound a touch dull. Nevertheless these recordings provide you a way to evaluate the balance, and imaging of your playback hardware with some genuine insight because of the way the recordings were done. Close the loop somewhat by hearing some acoustic guitar and a large piano then you will be able to fairly judge how well everything hangs together in your playback system.

We would be very please to offer a giveaway here at WBF if you would like us to do so.

Mario Martinez

Aug 17, 2016
www.playclassics.com
Here is a demo you can use to test the sound of the Truthful Recording Technology (calibration v2.0) on your systems.

Albéniz Iberia. El Corpus en Sevilla. Luis Grané, piano. (flac 24bit 96kHz. Zip archive 153mb)
www.playclassics.com/direct_download_demo4

Everyone is welcome to download. We would really appreciate your feedback :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Agree strongly with this one - heard the songs a million times, the system should allow the emotional connection to happen with ease ...

Funny, I was supposed to see Brooks earlier tonight- there was a plaque dedication ceremony for 914 Studios; I don't know whether Brooks flew in for it. I need to follow up w/ him. He's a wonderful man. There is a piece I published not so long ago about the making of the record, how he mic'd it, mixed it, did the overdubs and strings. He was a partner of Phil Ramone's- and had an interest in the fabled A&R Studios, which was Phil's lair back in the day. There's a great new book by Glenn Berger about working with Phil-Glenn got a job at 17 (coincidence viz Ian) as a "schlepper" at A&R and worked his way up to a senior engineer. Some of his stories about the intensity of the sessions with Dylan, Paul Simon and others are not surprising, but he tells of a time when a tape was completely screwed up--and had to be flown out to the West Coast that night for mastering. Phil managed to play back the entire album's worth of tape, adjusting azimuth on the fly constantly, while feeding another two track, to make the "safety" a useable master. I highly recommend the book. (in fact, I just reviewed it!).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing