B&W DM601 S3 "Upgrade"

Don Sutherland

Feb 12, 2016
I recently bought a pair of B&W DM601 S3 speakers on eBay. Even though they are in excellent shape and sound great, I thought I would take a look at the crossovers to see if any of the components might need upgrading. When I opened them up, I was delighted that there were no electrolytic capacitors or iron-core inductors to be found inside. The capacitors are nice looking metal film units and the inductors are nicely made air-core pieces. I don't know how good the resistors are but, like the capacitors, they have the B&W brand on them, so they might be good. In addition, all the components were securely glued to the circuit board. I measured each component and the worst case variation from one speaker to the other was 1.2% and the inductors matched within 0.4%. So, after I had measured everything I put the speakers back together and enjoyed listening to all my favorite CD's. Thank you Bowers and Wilkins!

rutcho

Nov 25, 2016
Yes, the crossover of DM601S3 was built with good components. Looking at the crossover PCB you can find two places not in use - for one resistor and one capacitor.
I used them to make a cheap and easy upgrade, that improves the overall sound performance and increases the tweeter's safety against overpower.
Here are the details and measurements:
http://rutcho.com/tweaks/01_bw_dm601s3/bw_dm601s3.html
The upgrade is reversible, so if you don't like the result, you can turn the crossover in the original factory condition.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing