Repeatable volume level / how critical?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I wanted to share some recent experiences that has reinforced my belief that volume level has a significant impact on the listening experience.

Over the past year, I replaced the IC's in my system (DH Labs to Shunyata Research) and over the past month cleaned all contacts, installed a used Furutech AC outlet and a new EAT ECC88 tube (previous tube was a very good NOS Telefunken) in my pre.

I recognize that the "O" crowd may claim hogwash (fine with me, I welcome dissenting views respectfully expressed) but these minor changes, in aggregate, have again amplified the importance of volume level and ones emotional response / connectivity to the music.

FWIW, my CJ has a volume control with a difference of 0.7db per click.

In the end, a minor monetary investment with huge musical rewards that validates the importance of volume level to musical enjoyment.

Best

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I cant see where the volume control level comes into this , is part of the post missing?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I am assuming he experienced a different volume level from the changes, and that is what the 'O' crowd would object to. The important point is that these types of changes can make a difference in the audio quality.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The post is about finding and repeating the "ideal" volume level when you are listening "one on one".

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You mean after finding the ideal volume level, you like to return to it in future listening sessions to better accuracy than 0.7 db?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Yeh, in my system there is a volume level where everything snaps into place..The room and system are tuned to playing best when loud

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've read that some people actually write the volume level on the album cover. it is very important imy opinion.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I do for each of my CD's. That's why I was asking.

If your VC is a knob, do you try to find the same "gain" setting or do you sorta wing it?

To Amir's question, I would like settings tighter than 0.7 db but that's what the CJ does so I live with it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The guys I know had digital readouts ala Audio Research. If you use a sound meter you usually need a tone for that.

Just off the top of my head you could print out a picture of your volume control and mark it. Or you could use the clock system.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can adjust by 0.5 increments, which I find very useful. However, I don't use my VC as a yardstick for noting an optimal/ideal reference point. And although my DSOTM may sound best at -17.5dB, I don't always want to listen at that level. Additionally every recording is different, some are louder than others, so I don't see how one level would be optimal.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I am a minimalist, so I replaced my linestage with autoformers. They allow for extremely fine steps. Exact volume repeatability is a given, and I like that. I can't say it's an "end all", however.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I have a "spread" on my numeric display from 40 to 68 for my CD's. That's a 20db difference.

And yes, when I had a VC without a display, I would put small dots on the VC knob so I could repeat the previous setting.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have a reference level of "65" on my pre-amp. I routinely adjust it +-5 to 10 db. Just like you thedudeabides.

I don't know how to live with one level given the large variations in recording level and my preference for whether I want to shake the walls or not. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing