Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-Conformist Speaker Bias?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar

Question Non-Conformist Speaker Bias?

I am loving my first ever pair of waive guide/horn speakers. Like many others, I had previously owned only dynamic driver floorstanders. I've heard great sounding planar speakers, dipoles and omnis as well.

Dynamic driver speaker designs dominate the high end speaker world. So it's not surprising that we see many speaker reviews of dynamic driver designs. However, it appears that Stereophile has wed itself to reviewing only uni-polar dynamic driver speakers over the last several years. Over the last five years, I count one horn review, one omni review and one planar review. That's it.

Is this lack of reviews of non-conformist loudspeaker designs merely a reflection of customer demand? Or does it reflect a genuine bias against non-conformist speaker designs?

IMO, the following non-conformist designs need a review. Can you think of any others?

1. JBL M2
    2. JBL 4367
    3. Quad 2912
    4. Linkwitz LX
    5. Geddes Summa
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Volti Vittora?
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Volti Vittora?
    I saw that art Dudley write up. I didn't count that as one of the horns because it wasn't a full review. I've never heard them. I bet they are a lot of fun.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Michael yes very fun to listen to, extremely dynamic with amazing bass punch. Narrow listening window but when you are in it they are pretty amazing. If you get a chance at a show to listen Greg is a super nice guy. Some of the best veneer work I have ever seen.
    Marty

[WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    Is it possible that planars, for instance, might be more likely to be damaged in shipping or unpacking/packing & setup for review? I don't have any specs on how many non-traditional speakers are reviewed by other publications, so this was a guess.

Lee
    Lee Aldridge

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    I am loving my first ever pair of waive guide/horn speakers. Like many others, I had previously owned only dynamic driver floorstanders. I've heard great sounding planar speakers, dipoles and omnis as well.

Dynamic driver speaker designs dominate the high end speaker world. So it's not surprising that we see many speaker reviews of dynamic driver designs. However, it appears that Stereophile has wed itself to reviewing only uni-polar dynamic driver speakers over the last several years. Over the last five years, I count one horn review, one omni review and one planar review. That's it.

Is this lack of reviews of non-conformist loudspeaker designs merely a reflection of customer demand? Or does it reflect a genuine bias against non-conformist speaker designs?

IMO, the following non-conformist designs need a review. Can you think of any others?

1. JBL M2
    2. JBL 4367
    3. Quad 2912
    4. Linkwitz LX
    5. Geddes Summa
    Great thread Dallas

I started some time ago a thread about Audiophiles and their prejudices and to me what you are referring to are prejudices at play. Aside from Quad most of the brands here would not pass the audiophile-approved test. However much we claim of the contrary and the test would be with out ever listening to a note from those speakers. It would be assumed that these speakers would not cut the mustard against "real" audiophile brands offerings. Mea culpa: I started taking JBL seriously only after a listening session in NYC which I summarily dismissed as being too short ( although it was 2 hours and I refused to believe my ears). Might have been the 3-way version of the 4367. It was driven by a tube amp which I can't remember. The sound was glorious but I pushed it out of my mind. TO the extent of not relating to many the superb session that I had with those speakers/system. I believe we audiophiles are geared for certain brands, a certain look and "audiophile" feel. Some push our buttons some don't.
    Just as an aside next time you see a speaker branded Danley Sound , please give it some time. Listen carefully and prepare yourselves to be truly but truly amazed. First reaction could well be PA system, where you mostly find these. On serious listening you may hear many things few audiophile-approved speaker cannot begin to approach. I don't have a real way to describe but I will give it a try: "Realism". The 3-way JBL I heard in NYC had that and I am beginning to think so do the 4367 and the Geddes speakers. I have never heard the JBL M2, 4357 or Geddes speakers BTW.

I will soon acquire nes speakers and I will not do so without listening to some Geddes and some JBL designs. I think these speakers and the aforementioned Danley designs (among many others) deserve recognition in the audiophile press and in audiophiles mindset.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Do any of those manufacturers take advertising with Stereophile?
    Keith.

Yes, we should add Danley speakers to the list. You are not the first respected friend who has recommended them. I bet they are uber dynamic and exciting.

Overall you are probably correct that waveguide and horn speakers aren't audiophile approved. I just think those who feel that way are the ones missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    Great thread Dallas

I started some time ago a thread about Audiophiles and their prejudices and to me what you are referring to are prejudices at play. Aside from Quad most of the brands here would not pass the audiophile-approved test. However much we claim of the contrary and the test would be with out ever listening to a note from those speakers. It would be assumed that these speakers would not cut the mustard against "real" audiophile brands offerings. Mea culpa: I started taking JBL seriously only after a listening session in NYC which I summarily dismissed as being too short ( although it was 2 hours and I refused to believe my ears). Might have been the 3-way version of the 4367. It was driven by a tube amp which I can't remember. The sound was glorious but I pushed it out of my mind. TO the extent of not relating to many the superb session that I had with those speakers/system. I believe we audiophiles are geared for certain brands, a certain look and "audiophile" feel. Some push our buttons some don't.
    Just as an aside next time you see a speaker branded Danley Sound , please give it some time. Listen carefully and prepare yourselves to be truly but truly amazed. First reaction could well be PA system, where you mostly find these. On serious listening you may hear many things few audiophile-approved speaker cannot begin to approach. I don't have a real way to describe but I will give it a try: "Realism". The 3-way JBL I heard in NYC had that and I am beginning to think so do the 4367 and the Geddes speakers. I have never heard the JBL M2, 4357 or Geddes speakers BTW.

I will soon acquire nes speakers and I will not do so without listening to some Geddes and some JBL designs. I think these speakers and the aforementioned Danley designs (among many others) deserve recognition in the audiophile press and in audiophiles mindset.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    Do any of those manufacturers take advertising with Stereophile?
    Keith.
    I don't think so. I might have seen something for Quad though. But certainly Harman has the money to advertise. They seem to avoid it. Maybe it's more the case that Harman doesn't want to support the audiophile press. I could understand that. Almost all audiophile speaker reviews are a huge waste of ink. There are a few exception but overall reviewers are clueless and have awful rooms to boot.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I have been trying to audition Danley for ages. The EU distributor tells me I should get a demo from the UK distributor, who is a distributor for clubs (Danley do commercial, like clubs) and does not have the gear for more residential purposes. I think Danley with the high sensitivity, the quality subs, and ability to be extended into an MCH system will be a winner.

With Quads I want to listen to triple stacked quads with OTLs. I have heard a Quad 2912 MCH (front 3 quads) - great tone and imaging, low in dynamics and bass - quite a steal though
    Last edited by bonzo75; 02-28-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast