RMAF Show Report

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks for the excellent report Miles--and the stunning TT photos!

I guess my worry with this show is that its just turned into another Stereophile show with super high end stuff and not much affordable gear---that wasn't what this show was created for a few years ago.

I understand why at CES the best of the best is displayed---but at a true "consumer" show it would be great to see more value options.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I guess my worry with this show is that its just turned into another Stereophile show with super high end stuff and not much affordable gear---that wasn't what this show was created for a few years ago.

I understand why at CES the best of the best is displayed---but at a true "consumer" show it would be great to see more value options.

Hi Keith,

My report is not a statistical slice of what was out there :) There were plenty of rooms with equipment covering all price ranges for audiophiles of all means. Check out Dave and Carol's piece to get an idea of all the rooms out at RMAF this year.

See: http://positive-feedback.com/Issue51/rmaf1.htm

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Yes I agree about Miles, no to almost eveything else

I think the show was created exactly for this reason. Originally, RMAF took whatever they could get, just like any show starting out. Now, I believe this is what they hoped for from the beginning.

The "value options" are always there, you just need to attend and find them. Everyone, including reviewers, have their agenda on what they want to see and hear. For example, some might not think of a $3k turntable as a "value option", but I visited Dan Meinwald's room and heard probably the most impressive vinyl at the show. It was the most impressive because not only did it sound terrific, but it was quite a bit less expensive than most of the vinyl rigs there.

Maybe I should ask you to clarify. What do you consider "value options" or "more affordable gear?"

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think the show was created exactly for this reason. Originally, RMAF took whatever they could get, just like any show starting out. Now, I believe this is what they hoped for from the beginning.

The "value options" are always there, you just need to attend and find them. Everyone, including reviewers, have their agenda on what they want to see and hear. For example, some might not think of a $3k turntable as a "value option", but I visited Dan Meinwald's room and heard probably the most impressive vinyl at the show. It was the most impressive because not only did it sound terrific, but it was quite a bit less expensive than most of the vinyl rigs there.

Maybe I should ask you to clarify. What do you consider "value options" or "more affordable gear?"

The Daedulus/Modwright room used to be what the RMAF seemed to be about---a few more smaller companies with fresh new ideas. I guess throw in Acoustic Zen as well.

As far as price---would it be a shame to see a 5-10k speaker? 5k amp and preamp? Yes, there was the VSA speaker and several outliers like the Clue---but most RMAF reports I have seen show a bunch of 75k+ rooms. I will have to check out the Townshend Rock 7 which I believe you are referring to, thanks!

I just remember at the last few Stereophile shows (I met you in SF btw Jonathan--great sound) that attendance started to dwindle...and I can't help to think that it was because of lot of the gear has gotten so expensive. Perhaps I'm totally wrong about this. I am a younger audiophile (33) and my friends think I'm crazy for having a 20k system, much less a 75-100k system (which I will have some day).

Keith

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
The Daedulus/Modwright room used to be what the RMAF seemed to be about---a few more smaller companies with fresh new ideas. I guess throw in Acoustic Zen as well.

As far as price---would it be a shame to see a 5-10k speaker? 5k amp and preamp? Yes, there was the VSA speaker and several outliers like the Clue---but most RMAF reports I have seen show a bunch of 75k+ rooms. I will have to check out the Townshend Rock 7 which I believe you are referring to, thanks!

I just remember at the last few Stereophile shows (I met you in SF btw Jonathan--great sound) that attendance started to dwindle...and I can't help to think that it was because of lot of the gear has gotten so expensive. Perhaps I'm totally wrong about this. I am a younger audiophile (33) and my friends think I'm crazy for having a 20k system, much less a 75-100k system (which I will have some day).

Keith

Keith,

I understand were you are coming from and I know others who feel the same way as well. I just think the majority is really itching to hear the "out of reach" stuff that they generally cannot get a chance to experience.

This coming CES I am going to be showing a pair of Evolution Acoustics loudspeakers called the MMMicroOne. The retail on them is 2k and I expect we will get great writes ups and generate a lot of talk.

It is always easy to get great sound and great press with top of the line gear. It is much more difficult to put together a small inexpensive system that provides great sound and attracts the same attention.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing