Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The inaudibility of Ethernet

Addicted to Best!
    Oh, you misunderstood my meaning. I'm well aware its a data cable incidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    No they don't in this system. TCP packets have checksums. That checksum allows the TCP layer in the operating system to detect bit errors. If that happens, it discards the packet and the sender will retransmit it. So unless the link is broken solid in which case you get a glitch or playback stops, you are good on bit errors.

The player software and DAC are downstream of the above. They have no ability to see or know about packet bit errors. They either get reliable bits or nothing.

Now if there is noise that is riding on Ethernet connection that gets coupled to an internal DAC in a streamer, then it could cause jitter and other distortions. The measurements provided before in that test fixture shows that such noise does not bleed. Of course broader tests are necessary to make sure that test was representative.
    I think the number of cables tested speak very well to the outcome. Various manufacture, and length. Boutique outfits could replicate this and show the superiority of their CAT5/6/6a offerings.

There was a batch of Rasberry Pi's produced where the manufacturer cut corners and used an Ethernet PHY w/o magnetics. This reported to be very noisy and something even a $340 1.5 meter Ethernet cable wasn't going to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by opus112 View Post
    Oh, you misunderstood my meaning. I'm well aware its a data cable incidentally.

Sorry. Are you postulating there could be 2nd order effects of differing nature based on the Ethernet cable used?

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Let me know if I answered the question adequately .
    Yes, thank you -- I may be conflating audio cable with data cable
    Vbr,

Sam
    SPQCV

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post
    Are you postulating there could be 2nd order effects of differing nature based on the Ethernet cable used?
    That's my conjecture, yes. No need to postulate data differences, just as for S/PDIF and USB cables. Amir makes the point in his post about noise, that's what I was referring to by '2nd order effects'. Any clearer now?

Quote Originally Posted by opus112 View Post
    That's my conjecture, yes. No need to postulate data differences, just as for S/PDIF and USB cables. Amir makes the point in his post about noise, that's what I was referring to by '2nd order effects'. Any clearer now?
    When someone says 2nd order effects I think of odd and even harmonics of the fundamental.

Addicted to Best!
    I use inexpensive CAT7 cables, but I have found that leakage through Ethernet PHY transformers is audible.

This can easily be solved by connecting the DC common of the Router or Switch to earth ground in wired systems. Also, Ethernet isolators, like those used in hospitals can help as well. I like the EMO EN-70e. Tried several and this one is cheap and sounds great. Others use optical, but I'm not convinced it's better yet.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

I have to disagree Bruce I believe it depends on the system as in my set up I can differentiate between generic cat6 Audioquest Forest cheap Vodka a sweat slightly warmer sounding cable to the Audioquest Diamond which has a lower noise floor cleaner more pristine sound.The Chord Sarum Tuned array ethernet was nice a different balance but noisier ,The Chord Music was better than the Sarum TA cable a nice cable a has a pleasing balance but still not as quiet as the Diamond cable and it is 5-6 times the cost??????????I understand solutions and cables for courses ,but everyone of those cables has a signature in my system .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123