Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Symmetrical Crossovers - Why? - Advantage/Disadvantage

Symmetrical Crossovers - Why? - Advantage/Disadvantage

I have a pair of Gauder Akustik speakers (ex Isophon), which I'm very happy with. This thread is not about the speakers but the crossovers.

Speakers are equipped with Passive Symmetrical Crossovers with >50dB slope. This type of crossovers is the hallmark of Gauder Akustik.

My questions to you all knowledgeable WBF'ers are as follows (Google has not been my friend in finding this out):

- What are the rationales behind symmetrical crossovers, if any?

- Are there specific demands on the power amplifier driving speakers with symmetrical crossovers with this slope or will they relieve the amp in any way?

- Advantages / Disadvantages (apart from being expensive) with symmetrical crossovers?

/Best
    Lars

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Most crossovers are symmetrical between drivers. The crossover can make a big difference in the speaker's polar response and distortion. Without measuring, it's impossible to know why a specific crossover was chosen for that speaker. My experience with digital crossovers between subs and full range speakers tell me that symmetrical crossovers are usually the best way to go. But with multiple subs, that may not be the case. I plan on setting up an asymmetrical crossover sub array next week using Acourate. I believe I can get best results this way. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsS View Post
    I have a pair of Gauder Akustik speakers (ex Isophon), which I'm very happy with. This thread is not about the speakers but the crossovers.

Speakers are equipped with Passive Symmetrical Crossovers with >50dB slope. This type of crossovers is the hallmark of Gauder Akustik.

My questions to you all knowledgeable WBF'ers are as follows (Google has not been my friend in finding this out):

- What are the rationales behind symmetrical crossovers, if any?

- Are there specific demands on the power amplifier driving speakers with symmetrical crossovers with this slope or will they relieve the amp in any way?

- Advantages / Disadvantages (apart from being expensive) with symmetrical crossovers?

/Best
    Lars
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Please explain symmetrical vs asymmetrical crossover.

Tim
    In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    I think the proper term would be series vs parallel crossover. I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
    Please explain symmetrical vs asymmetrical crossover.

Tim
    Marty

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I think the proper term would be series vs parallel crossover. I might be wrong.
    The OP is asking about symmetrical vs non-symmetrical XO slopes. Sometimes it makes sense to cross one driver over with a steeper slope than the counterpart driver.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

....only in the lower registers though, correct?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

I am sorry I misunderstood. My apologies. Crossover slopes typically are asymmetric to achieve proper phase response. First order designs typically in my experience are more likely to be symmetric.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    The OP is asking about symmetrical vs non-symmetrical XO slopes. Sometimes it makes sense to cross one driver over with a steeper slope than the counterpart driver.
    Marty

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    I'm not sure symmetric slope is what he's talking about... Symmetric might mean using the same components on the - leg and the +?
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Dave after reading the OP question, what a concept, I think he is asking about infinite slope crossovers. Maybe the OP will clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I'm not sure symmetric slope is what he's talking about... Symmetric might mean using the same components on the - leg and the +?
    Marty

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Dave after reading the OP question, what a concept, I think he is asking about infinite slope crossovers. Maybe the OP will clarify?
    Yes, I'm not really sure... Magico also claims to use symmetric elliptic crossovers. I'm not sure a passive xo can be infinite slope, but 50 dB can be achieved passively. I think in this symmetric means the layout of the xo parts and not the slope. Slope is determined by driver characteristics for the most part. Gauder uses ceramic drivers so the xo is critical to avoid the nasty regions of the drivers. I have to admit I don't see the attraction to these drivers, in stock form they are not very good sounding... with damping and an overly complicated crossover they can sound ok but I'll take a softer, more well behaved driver anyday.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast