45 RPM reissues- Are they better than high-res downloads?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Has anyone done any comparisons? I know of a guy who will not acquire anything else. Some are pricy with limited musical content. They do however minimize crosstalk and inner grove distortion.
I have limited experience. They were quite good. We talk a lot about best digital versus best vinyl. There does not appear to be a clear idea of what that is.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Here we go. If you like the sound of vinyl that is best, if you prefer digital then... There are also those who don't believe that 45 RPM LPs are better than 33s. I suggest that you buy quality pressings and downloads whenever possible.

Of course I prefer tape when available.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I cannot comment on hi-res as I don't partake in downloads, but I do believe that 45rpm is better than 33rpm in most cases. I didn't really think that Fleetwood Mac - Rumours was a great example of 45rpm being better than anything else out there. Regardless of format one will get hits & misses.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I cannot comment on hi-res as I don't partake in downloads, but I do believe that 45rpm is better than 33rpm in most cases. I didn't really think that Fleetwood Mac - Rumours was a great example of 45rpm being better than anything else out there. Regardless of format one will get hits & misses.

No question in mind that in a high end system, vinyl is superior, even 33 RPM. Only situation where it isn't is if the turntable or phono stage is entry level vs a very high end DAC or where the mastering on the digital is superior to the mastering of the vinyl.

That said, it takes a substantial investment to get a good vinyl playback system - much more than digital (or at least that's been my experience).

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Actually the opinion that 45 isn't necessarily better sounding came at a demonstration of the Kronos turntable.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Actually the opinion that 45 isn't necessarily better sounding came at a demonstration of the Kronos turntable.
What was being played, if I can ask?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Has anyone done any comparisons? I know of a guy who will not acquire anything else. Some are pricy with limited musical content. They do however minimize crosstalk and inner grove distortion.
I have limited experience. They were quite good. We talk a lot about best digital versus best vinyl. There does not appear to be a clear idea of what that is.

I've done thousands of comparisons. I do it every day for 15 years.

game , set, match to the 45 vinyl when it is analog based. and it's not even close.

if the high rez digital is the native format of the recording and you have good enough digital then the answer could be anywhere on the scale. it will depand.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Rumours was a case where the original pressing of the 33 RPM was much better than the 45's. and the 15ips 1/4" tape is better than the 33 original pressing.

downloads of Rumours are ok; somewhat close and different than the 45. the 33 OP kills the download.

the underlying issue is that the best vinyl version of an analog recording is best. occasionally that is not the 45.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Rumours was a case where the original pressing of the 33 RPM was much better than the 45's. and the 15ips 1/4" tape is better than the 33 original pressing.

downloads of Rumours are ok; somewhat close and different than the 45. the 33 OP kills the download.

the underlying issue is that the best vinyl version of an analog recording is best. occasionally that is not the 45.

Like d/l's I don't have tape to compare, but otherwise I agree with your assessment.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No question in mind that in a high end system, vinyl is superior, even 33 RPM. Only situation where it isn't is if the turntable or phono stage is entry level vs a very high end DAC or where the mastering on the digital is superior to the mastering of the vinyl.

That said, it takes a substantial investment to get a good vinyl playback system - much more than digital (or at least that's been my experience).

You should hit Bruce up for some quad DSD vinyl rips and see how they compare with digital downloads of the same album.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
You should hit Bruce up for some quad DSD vinyl rips and see how they compare with digital downloads of the same album.

it still comes back to the native format.

hirez downloads in the native format of a digital recording can sound and likely do sound superior to a vinyl rip in 2xdsd or quad dsd.

hirez downloads of analog tape sourced recordings will generally sound better in vinyl; and the vinyl rips many times are better too whether 2xdsd or quad dsd.

you cannot just generalize about how this stuff goes without qualifying by the recording native format.

and if you are using moderate level gear to play it back then all expectations are adjusted by that variable.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Blizzard, that suggestion might be interesting, but it would answer a different question and it is not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is not about vinyl rips, it is about 45 LPs and hi rez downloads. The consensus so far seems to be that vinyl is "better", it is unclear if that means that it is preferred by the listener, or if it sounds more real, or if it is more transparent to the original recording.

Greg, what do you mean by "better"?

The other interesting issue is this: are you really asking about the recording or the playback chain sounding better, or are you implying that it is by necessity, the combination of the two?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Blizzard, that suggestion might be interesting, but it would answer a different question and it is not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is not about vinyl rips, it is about 45 LPs and hi rez downloads. The consensus so far seems to be that vinyl is "better", it is unclear if that means that it is preferred by the listener, or if it sounds more real, or if it is more transparent to the original recording.

The other interesting issue is this: are you really asking about the recording or the playback chain sounding better, or are you implying that it is by necessity, the combination of the two?

my experience with 2xdsd transfers verses quad transfers is that the difference is not significant enough to justify the bandwidth difference. you cannot reliably tell the difference. so therefore vinyl rips make more sense for 2xdsd than quad.

OTOH native 2xdsd is easily heard to be not quite on the same level as native quad recordings. the difference are still not dramatic but they are easily heard and have musical consequences. it's not just difference for difference's sake.

tank64

Feb 13, 2016
I own about 30 LP's in 45rpm. It takes time and careful system matching to get things right, but I prefer the vinyl sound to any Hi Rez digital that I have heard.
A expensive road, but a worthy one.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

If I were a tree what kind of tree would I be?

i'm all about the result being pragmatist. My reference is real music in real space. I know of now way to listen to digital files or vinyl records without the associated equipment. By better I mean which one sounds most like real music.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

+1

I think that a great 45rpm LP is most times going to sound better than the same LP in the 33rpm format.OTOH, I own a few Music Matters LP's that are very slightly superior sounding in their 33rpm versions. As a rule though, the 45rpm is going to have the higher SQ. As to high-res downloads...what are they, LOL.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
It wasn't a specific recording. I think we were about to play a 45 LP when he made a comment about SQ. it was kind of general about trade offs and such.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
it still comes back to the native format.

hirez downloads in the native format of a digital recording can sound and likely do sound superior to a vinyl rip in 2xdsd or quad dsd.

hirez downloads of analog tape sourced recordings will generally sound better in vinyl; and the vinyl rips many times are better too whether 2xdsd or quad dsd.

you cannot just generalize about how this stuff goes without qualifying by the recording native format.

and if you are using moderate level gear to play it back then all expectations are adjusted by that variable.

What it will show is if the vinyl coloration's of Bruce's rig are subjectively preferred over the master tape sourced digital copy.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing