Approachable Reel-to-Reel deck

niklasthedolphin

Aug 28, 2010
Studer is really great but there have been substitutes:

I Quote:
"Lyrec PTR-1

Lyrec PTR-1 Frida. On this machine the IEC or CCIR setting is called ICIR. It's a piece of ingeneering art. These machines are impossible to operate without reading and understanding the manual. Rec level and Eq are adjustable for each channel, for each speed for PB and for Rec and Bias is adjustable for each channel/for each speed. Runs at three speeds: 3,75 ips; 7,5 ips; 15 ips. But with fully adjustable pitch control it also runs up to 48 ips. Display switchable between Real Time Counter and speed read out. Shows also pitch speed. Precisely. It has head wear protection in cue function. Has a dump-tape option, cutting board and scissors. Takes 11,8 inch/30 cm reels. Real time counter w/two flags and goto, HX-Pro, ICIR(IEC)/NAB EQ, calibration in/out, fader start, editing board, remote controlled etc. Remote control pin code in manual. You can build you own very advanced remote from that. It is modular built with insert cards and is really a piece of engineering art. It was meant to take over from B67, A80, A810 or any other Studer, Nagra T, Stellavox SP9, 3M, Otari, Tascam, Sony APR or whatever but very limited production, no advertising or marketing didn't realy give it a chance international. Specs are next to none.These products range in the same class as the Nagra T and the Stellavox SD9 and certainly leave behind Studer, Tascam, Otari etc. The machine is portable. Price tag from new at Dkr. 76.000. Today currency exchange ~ us$ 16.000."
Quote end.

"dolph"

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's a nice looking machine! Researching it, I landed on video of our own Ki with one! Is than R2R that he doesn't own???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Ki. What do you think of its performance? And how the heck did you find it? Seems like it is a challenging unit to find. I saw one on ebay but it is the other model.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
I just sold a restored pair of these to a Stellavox/Nagra collector. They were in use in my system for a few months and I found them to deliver good results. I took one out for a location recording gig last year and found it to be too mechanically noisy to use(no control room at the hall). Tape handling is fine, weight is under 30 pounds and the sonics were very fine. Charlie and I compared the sound(playback) of the PTR-1 to the ASC5002(great German deck based on Braun), Stellavox and King/Cello/MCI combo. THe PTR-1 was comparable to the ASC and Stellavox. It is a nice package. IT does not have built in mic preamps- I used Manley for the orchestral recording with it last year.
Harold has about 10 of these gems and is super obsessed with the machine and company. I hope he chimes in about them. We are both lusting after the Lyrec turntable-a magnificent piece of industrial art. That is for another thread...

Rich Brown

niklasthedolphin

Aug 28, 2010
I just sold a restored pair of these to a Stellavox/Nagra collector. They were in use in my system for a few months and I found them to deliver good results. I took one out for a location recording gig last year and found it to be too mechanically noisy to use(no control room at the hall). Tape handling is fine, weight is under 30 pounds and the sonics were very fine. Charlie and I compared the sound(playback) of the PTR-1 to the ASC5002(great German deck based on Braun), Stellavox and King/Cello/MCI combo. THe PTR-1 was comparable to the ASC and Stellavox. It is a nice package. IT does not have built in mic preamps- I used Manley for the orchestral recording with it last year.
Harold has about 10 of these gems and is super obsessed with the machine and company. I hope he chimes in about them. We are both lusting after the Lyrec turntable-a magnificent piece of industrial art. That is for another thread...

Rich Brown

If you have information on Lyrec turntables, please lead me to any websites with documentation or if you start up a thread on this subject, please link from here.
I believe Lyrec made cutting equipment but never any turntables.

"dolph"

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Rich,

Have you been able to record, on location, with a Nagra IV-S? If so, any observations?

Thanks,

Sam

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Hi Sam
I did use the Nagra IV-S on location a few times in the 80s. It is a fine recorder for location recording with excellent mic preamps. Not so great for playback IMO. The Stellavox is slightly better for record and FAR superior on playback in comparison to the Nagra.

Rich

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Sam
I did use the Nagra IV-S on location a few times in the 80s. It is a fine recorder for location recording with excellent mic preamps. Not so great for playback IMO. The Stellavox is slightly better for record and FAR superior on playback in comparison to the Nagra.

Rich

Hey, Rich,

Your reply is appreciated...I'll research it -- thanks! :cool:

Klangquali

Jul 18, 2012
I asked a former importer of Lyrec equipment and he said Lyrec never manufactured turntables only cutting machines. Maybe one of the Asian audiophiles uses a Lyrec cutting machine as a turntable like some do it with Neumanns?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing