next upgrade?

old school

Feb 24, 2016
My first post here.I built my system about18 years ago. Always been a Mark Levinson fan. I am just now getting back into high end audio. About 3 weeks ago, I upgraded to some new B&W 800 diamonds. Wow what a difference! Old speakers were B&W 801 series 3, I bought new in 1996.

My upgrade question is, what would get me the most sound improvement, on my current system? A mark Levinson no 32 pre-amp, a Mark Levinson no 30.6 Dac. a Mark Levinson no 31.5 transport. I know any would be an improvement, but which one should I start with? Also, looking to stay all Mark Levinson. thanks for the help guys, help me spend some$$$$$:D

Current system: ML no 336
ML no 360s
ML no 37
ML no 38s
B&W 800 Diamonds
I use Transparent super cables

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Welcome! The new B&W Diamonds are very good. We have many members who will come along to offer some options for you. If you don't have a "modern" DAC, that might be a good place to commence auditions.

Lee

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
hi, if you're enjoying your new speakers so much more so than your old ones that says to me you're only now hearing what your system is capable of. i love it when you suddenly realise what you had was even better than you thought. i would be with RBFC and look at the DAC option. that and having your ML kit looked at, serviced and maybe helped a little on the inside. this can bring great benefits without costing a arm and a leg.

i know its not part of your stated options but room acoustics and AC conditioning can be a fun way to drop some $$$:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Staying with 3 series Levinson my vote would be to go for the No.32 Preamp. It was and remains a great preamp with ergonomics to die for.

* I am a former owner of 380s, 360s, and three generations of the 200wpc models 23.5, 332 and 431.

The 32 and 432 combination was a very, very good one. I partnered with the then ML distributor. We had a blast. I would have taken them home if I had the scratch.

DSC_0083.jpg

Bit of trivia. That is an early Emm player on top when they were modding players and just before they started making the Emm stacks. :)

old school

Feb 24, 2016
Thanks spazmatron. I have had all of my gear serviced, new caps for all of it. You think the Dac would be a better improvement over the pre-amp? I know that is one nice pre-amp!!!

old school

Feb 24, 2016
JackD201, thanks. I was thinking about the no 32 pre-amp, first also. I have been away for years thou, and would like the opinions of people more up to date than I am.

I am having a hard time finding a no 32. Would a 326s be a good alternate? Or should I just hold out and keep looking?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
All teh people I know who have No.32s have no intention of selling so I'm not that surprised you're having a hard time finding any. I'm not familiar at all with the 326s to be honest so I have no basis for comparison. As far as DACs go I'm not familiar with the reference DACs either. I'm assuming your listening is CD only and that you might have some HDCD discs in your collection. I'm not sure if the 30.6 had HDCD support in it. I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to DACs when the source is 16/44.1 only. Many examples of great DACs from those days being competitive with 16/44.1 DACs today. The move might be sideways. If you're venturing into Hi-rez files with sampling rates higher than 96k then you will need a newer DAC. Ditto for DSD. Other than that you should be good with the 360s.

If you're looking at the DNA from the Madrigal era today, if I'm not mistaken, some of the gentlemen that were there then doing DAC work now work at Bricasti while the surviving amp honcho is at Viola.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Thanks spazmatron. I have had all of my gear serviced, new caps for all of it. You think the Dac would be a better improvement over the pre-amp? I know that is one nice pre-amp!!!

it depends on what you want to do playback wise, if you spinning discs then you could argue the first port of call would be the pre amp. the importance of the preamp is often understated. however if your looking to get into high rez then the functional benefits of a modern dac will get you there.

if i were you/ you were me we would be off to buy a preamp but i am a horse so caution needs to be taken when considering my advice.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
My first post here.I built my system about18 years ago. Always been a Mark Levinson fan. I am just now getting back into high end audio. About 3 weeks ago, I upgraded to some new B&W 800 diamonds. Wow what a difference! Old speakers were B&W 801 series 3, I bought new in 1996.

My upgrade question is, what would get me the most sound improvement, on my current system? A mark Levinson no 32 pre-amp, a Mark Levinson no 30.6 Dac. a Mark Levinson no 31.5 transport. I know any would be an improvement, but which one should I start with? Also, looking to stay all Mark Levinson. thanks for the help guys, help me spend some$$$$$:D

Current system: ML no 336
ML no 360s
ML no 37
ML no 38s
B&W 800 Diamonds
I use Transparent super cables

I would take a look at their new integrated amp as a first step.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...k-levinson-no585-integrated-amplifier-review/

old school

Feb 24, 2016
I would lose 150 watts per channel, with that integrated amp.....

old school

Feb 24, 2016
I think I might go with a no 326s preamp. I have not been able to find any of the other pieces....

Hellir Maour

Apr 26, 2016
I think I might go with a no 326s preamp. I have not been able to find any of the other pieces....

old school, any reason you're not considering the no 526?

FWIW, I too have 800 Diamonds (D2) and am using a pair of no 536s for amps, and a Bel Canto 2.7 DAC / REFStream as preamplifier. Love the sound, very clean and dynamic. Lots of detail.

Last edited:

old school

Feb 24, 2016
Well I found me a mark Levinson no 32. Should be here next week. It will replace my no 38s. Hoping for a nice improvement.

Next on the list, is a mark Levinson no 30.6. Wonder how long it will take to find one? Took years to find the pre-amp.......

old school

Feb 24, 2016
All I can say is Wow! Have been listening to it for a week now. What a difference. I hear so many more details?. What an incredible preamp!

old school

Feb 24, 2016
Any news and more feedback after one year?

Yes, I am really enjoying the preamp. It is a joy to use and has made a significant difference in my system. After my new speakers, I would say the preamp made the biggest difference! The Sound Stage and Clarity and quietness of it is incredible!

old school

Feb 24, 2016
About 3 weeks ago, I was able to find a No 31.5. It to made a nice Improvement. Nowhere near as much as the preamp but still an improvement.

I now would like to find a 30.6 processor.......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing