Cape Town South Africa
We all focus on various parts of our hifi as to improve or change or whatever
Mine at the moment is advanced bass control and digital room correction

what's your focus on right now?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Currently in the "smelling the roses" part of the cycle.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
enjoying what i have, buying more music. though i am doing my mains sockets at the mo, and looking into zenwave audio (daves) cables. got a pair of his speaker jumpers that have got me questioning my cable choices. thanks dave :mad::D

recently i did a load of room acoustic stuff.. but that's over for now

the objective i guess is more ambient detail and better soundstage but not at the expense of musicality and drive.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Also buying plenty of music, happy with my main system. Now considering throwing myself into a diy build with dual 15inch field coils in open baffle and running with a mid/tweeter raal ribbon amorphous core and going reasonably hard core with duelund crossover and wired with silver foil in air dialectic cabling.

The aim is for around 8ohm and 95db sensitivity so I have another setup so I can also explore some different options on DHT amps. This will be dedicated all triode fun.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Also buying plenty of music, happy with my main system. Now considering throwing myself into a diy build with dual 15inch field coils in open baffle and running with a mid/tweeter raal ribbon amorphous core and going reasonably hard core with duelund crossover and wired with silver foil in air dialectic cabling.

The aim is for around 8ohm and 95db sensitivity so I have another setup so I can also explore some different options on DHT amps. This will be dedicated all triode fun.

Sounds fun :) Which RAAL are you looking at Tao? Is the Lazy in the running?

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Now this sounds interesting. Please elaborate.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not focusing on it (I reserve that for music), but I'd like to up my game on the analogue front-end.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sounds fun :) Which RAAL are you looking at Tao? Is the Lazy in the running?
Hoping it'll be simple pure fun but given the level of my technical expertise it could start with laughter and end in tears? but I decided at the New Year that it would be good to play a bit this year and keep it light.

Jack I was thinking I might even sacrifice a few db over the Lazy and go with the 140-15d and Marty not a lot of detail as yet to add as I only really decided on heading towards a ribbon field coil hybrid as the direction just recently as I had been playing with either open baffle or going front loaded horns with maybe a fostex horn tweeter. In the final wash up I realised I love the top end of my Maggie panels too much and think the field coils will make the difference over running it as a passive OB and be closer in spirit and have more chance of being coherent with the Raal.

Only just early days tho and I have given this year over to it and the year's budget as well. I have most of what I need to get under way with a second system and this will be for use down in our larger open living space while the Maggies have their own dedicated room upstairs.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

I have a few little projects going on to improve overall SQ further, but this is pretty much where I am at ever since having built and listened to my DIY SET Tube Amp (based on a design and PCB by George of Tubelab -the Simple SE).

Single-Ended, Triode, Tubes and Simple, what more could you want? Well perhaps a DHT, but this isn't one though, maybe one day.

One I heard this little SET with its 8W per channel max in default configuration, this opened up the path to follow for the rest of additional exploration in the pursuit of exquisite Tone.

Naturally, therefore, there is now a strong desire, veering on obsession, about providing the proper speakers and setup for the SET amp to work its magic in the mid-range.

Now, the current setup sounds great, for sure, and it's even quite solid in the bass department, probably helped by the big Edcor Transformers and the Electro-Harmonix KT-88, but we want more: more Mid-Range Magic and Tone insight.

Therefore, it comes as no surprise that I am currently obsessing about building the following:

- Multi-amping setup with the SET dealing with the mid-range and above and perhaps for now a SS amp dealing with the bass/sub-bass regions

- Open Baffles speaker construction, the design of which would be driven by the choice of a proper Full-Range driver with high-efficiency so that more of the SET Tube Mid-range Magic shines through, together with an appropriate strong Bass/Sub component, and perhaps a ribbon or AMT Tweeter if possible.

- Line-Level crossover, so that the amps connect directly to each driver ultimately. As an intermediate step, I may perform a hybrid cross-over arrangement with my existing boxed bookshelf speakers and with DIY bass units until I build the whole open baffle system.

I have been researching the theory of construction and design of open baffles and been looking at potential drivers for Full-Range and the bass regions. For instance, last night between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. I was reading about this.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Power and getting and new set of speakers.

Currently building a new power supply with a friend's help for the LH Labs DAC.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I would like a 1000-1200 square foot room (25 x 45 will do nicely) with 15 foot ceilings, but that's not going to happen, so I just listen to the music.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I have a few little projects going on to improve overall SQ further, but this is pretty much where I am at ever since having built and listened to my DIY SET Tube Amp (based on a design and PCB by George of Tubelab -the Simple SE).

Single-Ended, Triode, Tubes and Simple, what more could you want? Well perhaps a DHT, but this isn't one though, maybe one day.

One I heard this little SET with its 8W per channel max in default configuration, this opened up the path to follow for the rest of additional exploration in the pursuit of exquisite Tone.

Naturally, therefore, there is now a strong desire, veering on obsession, about providing the proper speakers and setup for the SET amp to work its magic in the mid-range.

Now, the current setup sounds great, for sure, and it's even quite solid in the bass department, probably helped by the big Edcor Transformers and the Electro-Harmonix KT-88, but we want more: more Mid-Range Magic and Tone insight.

Therefore, it comes as no surprise that I am currently obsessing about building the following:

- Multi-amping setup with the SET dealing with the mid-range and above and perhaps for now a SS amp dealing with the bass/sub-bass regions

- Open Baffles speaker construction, the design of which would be driven by the choice of a proper Full-Range driver with high-efficiency so that more of the SET Tube Mid-range Magic shines through, together with an appropriate strong Bass/Sub component, and perhaps a ribbon or AMT Tweeter if possible.

- Line-Level crossover, so that the amps connect directly to each driver ultimately. As an intermediate step, I may perform a hybrid cross-over arrangement with my existing boxed bookshelf speakers and with DIY bass units until I build the whole open baffle system.

I have been researching the theory of construction and design of open baffles and been looking at potential drivers for Full-Range and the bass regions. For instance, last night between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. I was reading about this.

Hi,

do you need Speakers like this..:D

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/bastanis2/1.html

Four Alnico Tone Tubbys 16Ohm 12"
Two Horn Drivers like B&C 250de
This Baffle Speakers are goes from 75Hz-20Khz with 102dB/1Watt Passive with your SET-Amp
What you need to Full Range is 18" Ripol Active Bass from 75-20 Hz
Subwoofer Amp-Modul
https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers

It is one of the Best Speaker i heared in my Live,sounds realistic open and a Wow dynamic
like you combinated a Horn with a Electrostatic Speaker.

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have decided to redo my room , I am contemplating an upgrade to the G1 spirits , production would take 6-8 weeks and in that time I will recraft the room based on my experience with the G1's

At the moment my ceiling is too low and it is giving my problems in that it resonates and it is cracked..It is 4" below the slab . I cant go higher
so I will dig down at least 2-3 ft and lower the floor of the room , making it sunken and thus giving me the leeway for a dropped acoustic tile ceiling ... so i get height and a ceiling that wont buzz when I play Yello at 90+ db :)
I might upgrade my 2 devialet D premiers to a 1000p system at the same time , but the room takes precedence in terms of spend.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Power and getting and new set of speakers.

Currently building a new power supply with a friend's help for the LH Labs DAC.

Power is incredibly important: I was just brushing up on electronics and reading Jung on his superreg before building my own Linear Regulated PSU. Good luck on the build!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I would like a 1000-1200 square foot room (25 x 45 will do nicely) with 15 foot ceilings, but that's not going to happen, so I just listen to the music.

Unfortunately for me, while I was researching and discussing Vibration isolation, I concluded I'd need to suspend the whole listening room. Won't happen so soon.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Hi,

do you need Speakers like this..:D

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/bastanis2/1.html

Four Alnico Tone Tubbys 16Ohm 12"
Two Horn Drivers like B&C 250de
This Baffle Speakers are goes from 75Hz-20Khz with 102dB/1Watt Passive with your SET-Amp
What you need to Full Range is 18" Ripol Active Bass from 75-20 Hz
Subwoofer Amp-Modul
https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers
It is one of the Best Speaker i heared in my Live,sounds realistic open and a Wow dynamic
like you combinated a Horn with a Electrostatic Speaker.

Hey Stephan,

Indeed actually the build is going to be similar on many respects and here are a few of differences:

- I am not too accustomed of horns and their audio behaviour, so for now they're out

- My Ripole will look more symmetrical with two 15" drivers per unit, with the front-facing opening right in the middle. I would also like it to go down to 20Hz, less if possible. Here, both the OB and the Ripole are quite new to me (as is speaker-building generally) so I've had to research a lot about the parameters to look for and about builds (I am still not done) - I think here Bastanis is using a dipole in a W frame, which is not the same

- I want the least number of passive elements as possible after the amp in the build, so there is likely little or none at the back of the OB in mine. In addition, I wouldn't want the elements if any to be physically right behind the baffle - they will be in a separate seismic vibration-isolated enclosure if any

- I far prefer setting up properly a crossover before the amp (it may be more practical for a 3-way to have a hybrid config and let the SET deal with a 2-way and a really, really small passive between them - it will depend on how much I can build and if I go 3-way rather than 2-way, the latter being easier, of course)

- Both my Ripole and the upper OB will be separately seismically isolated from vibrations

- Alnico would be ideal, but it could be difficult for me to source them in top form and I probably don't have the budget either to get them sent for recharged if I ever manage to score cheaper second-hand ones, so alternatives like Neodymium will most probably have to do

- I may never get to do a proper 3-way, so in that case I will try to set up just the Full-Range with the bass units, and strive to do away with crossovers as much as possible. Here again, in my build, I will use a single Full-Ranger per side instead of two as the Bastanis

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
a ceiling that wont buzz when I play Yello at 90+ db :)

Hehe, I need to try some, but I have already tested my SET Tube amp with some Kraftwerk :D

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello YashN,

The Drivers+DSPAmps cost 1800$+DIY Energy and Woodwork extra,you build a
Loudspeakersystem who beats all under 20k$ easy...

Ok look at Hawthorne Audio they have 15" Fullrange driver combinated with AMT Tweeter
at 95dB/1Watt sounds good.
I promise you will never find one single Driver,who sends the same Energy to the Music
like Bastanis speakers.Good luck;)
I had Lowthers,AER..Tagband etc no Way

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing