Change of Flavor

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I want to try a new set of power tubes in my Rogue ST100 power amp. This amp sounds too solid state for a tube amp. Recommend a power tube other than the stock KT120 than will give me more of a lush tube sound. I need four so please keep it reasonable in cost.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Marty

Have you tried your amps in triode mode and the 8 ohm taps? If I recall you were using these amps on the M/T unit in bi-amp yes?

Jack

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Hi Jack, I change amps with the wind. My 80s vintage Anodyne design amps are my mains so I will play with the ST100 when I get bored. The ST100 is the most non tube sounding tube amp I have ever heard. I think it sounds best full range on the VR5, biamping creates a disconnect for me. I am using the 8 ohm taps in ultra linear mode mostly. To be honest I really just want to hear what other power tubes sound like compared to the stock KT120. The endless tinkerer in me.

Hi Marty

Have you tried your amps in triode mode and the 8 ohm taps? If I recall you were using these amps on the M/T unit in bi-amp yes?

Jack

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Marty

Tough one. I don't think there are many 120 variants out yet. In the meantime I guess you can roll the au7s and ax7s first. It would probably cost less too. I'm also not sure if 150s are direct drop ins for 120s across the board. They are with VA900s but I'd make sure with Rogue before trying that route. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interesting so you can do KT88s, 90s and 6550s?

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Yes to the KT88 and KT90 not sure on the 6550. I really want to hear what you hear people talk about as that syrupy tube sound. Slightly rolled off top with a euphoric midrange.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Marty and good evening to you. Would you be interested in trying out an Anthem1 tube amp Marty? I have one down in Hotlanta that a buddy of mine has had for a while. We could knock out two birds with one stone. I'd get to see him again and you could try out a different flavor of tube amp. I think I have a stash of some rather good tubes for the Anthem as well. Just LMK and I'll make it happen.

On a different note. Glad to see you back playing in the sandbox sir. :)

Tom

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Hello my friend Tom, I am always ready to listen to new audio gear. Let's put the wheels into motion sir.

Hello Marty and good evening to you. Would you be interested in trying out an Anthem1 tube amp Marty? I have one down in Hotlanta that a buddy of mine has had for a while. We could knock out two birds with one stone. I'd get to see him again and you could try out a different flavor of tube amp. I think I have a stash of some rather good tubes for the Anthem as well. Just LMK and I'll make it happen.

On a different note. Glad to see you back playing in the sandbox sir. :)

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Idgit. (me) I forgot to ask....Have you tried the Shuguang KT-88's?

Will do sir. ;)

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hmmm a lot of that is circuit dependent usually more on the rectification and output transformers used. That "sound" is also sometimes a symptom of being underpowered with respect to a given set of speakers. I still think changing the input tubes is the place to start investigating because none of the Pentodes we've discussed are syrupy and rolled off by nature. You've got me thinking though....

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I think the 12au7 are in the phase inversion and the 12ax7 are the front end gain / drive tube. I recall this is what Mr. Obrien told me. Basically the 12ax7 are what will change the sonics the most? I am using new production Mullard 12ax7 at the moment. Do you have other suggestion? Please no $300 each NOS unobtanium tubes.

Hmmm a lot of that is circuit dependent usually more on the rectification and output transformers used. That "sound" is also sometimes a symptom of being underpowered with respect to a given set of speakers. I still think changing the input tubes is the place to start investigating because none of the Pentodes we've discussed are syrupy and rolled off by nature. You've got me thinking though....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ok cool the AX7s are the input tubes. Makes sense. Psvanes are supposed to be sweet. I'll ask around the DIY community over here about new production ax7s. For some reason this particular tube type is helluva expensive NOS.

mbskeam

Sep 28, 2012
some place in seattle area
I use these 12ax7's. "The fisher"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telefunken-...460053?hash=item33b191e295:g:Ta0AAOSwezVWvjpv

you can get these for a fairly good price. Cant beat the telly sound.
Changing the input tubes in my amps made the most difference in sound.

I also run these kt88's. http://www.jacmusic.com/valveart/intro.htm about 35 bucks each if you look around.
All around good sounding tube.

Not sure if you have been on this site. http://www.jacmusic.com/valveart/intro.htm

The only other kt120 besides the tungsol??? http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/treasure-kt120-z-select-quad/

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I want to try a new set of power tubes in my Rogue ST100 power amp. This amp sounds too solid state for a tube amp. Recommend a power tube other than the stock KT120 than will give me more of a lush tube sound. I need four so please keep it reasonable in cost.

I have a Rogue Stereo 90 which is a very similar amp.
First off, if you are using the Tung Sol KT120, I think that tube is very dry and solid state sounding in my Stereo 90 and definitely contributing to your issue. You have several different ways to go. If you want to stick with KT88/KT120 I recommend the Psvane grey glass KT88 or Treasure black glass KT88, these have much more air up top and bloom in the middle than the Tung Sols. For less money, the Penta Labs KT88SC (also marketed as the Preferred Series by thetubestore.com) is also a good sounding tube in the Rogue.
If you can afford to loose some power, a 6L6gc can sound great, the Russian 6P3S-E is very good, Tung Sol 6L6gc-str or Tung Sol 6L6-G or any RCA or GE 6L6gc.
Vintage Mullard EL34 are very tubey sounding in my Rogue. KT66 can sound very good but I don't think that is the sound you are looking for.
Up front, vintage Mullard 12ax7s are very tubey sounding, or try a US 5751 blackplate. I would definitely go vintage for the 12ax7 spot, any RCA, GE, Sylvania, Raytheon or European tube from the 1950s or 1960s will smoke the stock tubes IMO. My personal favorite 12ax7 in my Rogue is the RCA black plate square getter. The 12au7s are driver tubes, maybe a vintage Mullard or Amperex in that spot. My Stereo 90 uses 6SN7s as drivers so I can't help you there.
I prefer using my Stereo 90 with the 4 ohm taps, bass is much better. If you can afford to give up power, Triode sounds better than Ultralinear IMO.
The Rogues are great amps enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing