The look, the sound, the price, the bragging right or something else..?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
On another forum, one of the members there ( who happens to be an audio dealer) stated something that I have heard as a prevalent comment. His comment was that he believed that a lot of a'philes buy gear only due to the aesthetic and price tag...not at all interested in the sound, or really that concerned about the price or anything else. IOW, akin to picking up a piece of jewelry and having the bragging right that goes along with the brightest and biggest bauble.
He used the Dan D'Agostino gear and the new SAT tonearm as an example of his comment. The copper heatsinks and the steam type gauge on the front as an example on the DAG..and with the SAT arm...all of the brass and shiny fittings and the numerous adjustment mechanisms...leading to a much higher cost factor, but in his opinion doing nothing for the sound!
In reality, i question how many of us choose their gear based exactly on what this dealer is pointing out....and that the manufacturer's know this and are simply building gear to accommodate a need. Is SQ the prevailing reason that we buy our gear...I know speaking for myself it is...:)
Is that the case for other members...and if not, what are the prevailing reasons why you open your wallet? How much does the 'bragging' right really play into the purchase decision...how much the aesthetic, how much the price....and lastly how much the sound?
Let's be as honest here as we can....:cool::D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
IMO Bragging rights is the worst motivation. How long do you get to brag and who really cares anyway? There will always be something newer and shinier just as there will always be someone richer and with our luck much better looking to boot LOL.

I don't know who that dealer is but I think he went a bit too far. The design goals of D'Agostino were to shoehorn the horsepower of his earlier works in a smaller package. The Cu heatsinks are a technical solution given the limited surface area. That D'Agostino also wanted to exude the build quality of swiss timepieces with the Breguet looking meter, well, why not?

To be honest I don't see anybody staying in this hobby long term if the motivation is anything other than getting the sound you like. Looks are a bonus but as far as looks alone, where the systems usually hardly get played, I'd say the better investment would be art and a good interior designer!

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I chose my giyas cos I loved both the aesthetics and the SQ .. I wouldn't have bought wilsons (sorry wilson guys) if the SQ and price of both had been the same.
My rack is not pretty or impressive tho , devialet , miniDSP , touch

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
His comment was that he believed that a lot of a'philes buy gear only due to the aesthetic and price tag...not at all interested in the sound

I don't think it's "either-or", and I think you can be very interested in sound but still want shiny toys and bragging rights. In fact, I think that's the niche that most audiophiles I know inhabit, somewhere on the spectrum but not at either end. Personally, I've sampled pieces of equipment hoping I wouldn't like them because they were too ugly for me to buy. What that does for expectation bias I have no idea, but let's just say I've never ended up buying them! Certainly I understand that for many the hobby is primarily about playing music with great sound, but not exclusively that. There are other aspects that many of us enjoy: the exclusivity, the geeky passion aspect, yes the bragging rights, the way a system looks whether beautiful and shiny or a mass of cables and boxes strewn on the floor.

Actually, only last night my wife wandered into the nerd-cave as I was listening and admired how the speakers looked. She said "you must look at these every time you sit down and think 'oh yes'". She's right. I do.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I personally only go by sound as my stuff sits in its own room out of public view. However, I have known some audiophiles ( are they really audiophiles?) who clearly purchased based on looks. Theirsystems are prominently displayed in their homes and when people ask about the stuff, you never hear about how great is sounds but how great it looks. I think that these types do exist but are in the distinct minority.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I like my room to look neat and pretty... just for myself

from that, to this

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
You can't blame a manufacturer for making a product which he believes is saleable. Technically and in terms of performance the Agostino amps offer nothing new, in terms of sound quality I am sure it would be indistinguishable from any other capable Class A/B amp.
Diamond encrusted Rolexes target the same niche, in terms of high fidelity very few designers are pushing the boundaries IMHO.

Keith.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
What stirred you when you selected your significant other?

Initially it has to be something to deal with looks in most cases
then performance....

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Many here are passionate enough to go for gears they like whatever the cost (again up to a point ) . I would say most but there is that kind of thing. No doubt. I know for a fact that a very big ex-basketball, Hall-of-Fame-bound player had a system that likely cost millions. He acquired it on the whim of "Best Hifi system my money" could buy. He played it for a few times and reverted to his Pro system in his private disco a few weeks later .. The system was mothballed after he was traded and his ex-wife wanted these "things" out of her sight.. Extreme example? of course... But there are many who buys gears just for the sake of their exclusivity and price. The dealer is right and knows what he is talking about. Any manufacturer worth its grain of salt will make sure of having a stupendously expensive item in his catalog ... We can see it everywhere .. The market for those are not the SQ guys but those with money to burn...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I bought my Magico Mini II based on the way they sound. I'm having a difficult time upgrading them because of the way they look in my room. There are no bragging rights with SME gear. It sounds great though. Pass electronics sound great and work with the rest of the system. I also like their looks. The Vibraplanes and compressor in the living room are for sound only.

DSC_0030.jpg

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
I bought my Magico Mini II based on the way they sound. I'm having a difficult time upgrading them because of the way they look in my room. There are no bragging rights with SME gear. It sounds great though. Pass electronics sound great and work with the rest of the system. I also like their looks. The Vibraplanes and compressor in the living room are for sound only.

View attachment 25881
I think that is a purposeful system, SME is solidly engineered, as are the amps and speakers, arguably a contemporary pair of active loudspeakers might yield higher sound quality, in terms of room interaction.
Keith.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
if you chose your gear by any other means than engineering and sound then you're not a audiophile, you're brand and status oriented. having said that people like to be able to identify with others, for some having a certain brand is a way into a exclusive club, a way to belong and feel valid and accepted some guys want to be envied... how aware or honest they are of their true motivations is another matter.

i would not like to say how many here fit into what camps, that would be unfair and pointless. i don't know if the membership here reflects the typical hi-end consumer type or not. the dealers here would know.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My girlfriends always chose me for the looks and bragging rights of my, er, gear

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Even if a guy chose a piece of gear for the bragging rights, there are so many planes he could brag on...why is only an expensive well-known box considered a bragging right? Many seasoned audiophiles think that it is the immature ones who stick to the high-street brands, and they even include the audioresearch, focals, wilsons as high street... and they brag about the exotic rareties they have stumbled on. Some brag about how well they have put a system together, or how flat their frequency curve is. There is a camp for each. Someone who owns a 100k dac would be seriously embarrassed if he tried to brag about it in the wrong camp.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Vanity,vanity all is vanity.
Keith.

Take Keith, for example. He is always trying to brag all his speakers and electronics sound the same, just that he is presenting it to the wrong camp

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Take Keith, for example. He is always trying to brag all his speakers and electronics sound the same, just that he is presenting it to the wrong camp
Speakers sound very different, anything with a valve in sounds different, NOS dacs sound different , any product which has been delibrately engineered to sound 'different' will sound different .
I just want to replay the file with the highest fidelity possible, because that's what I believe.
Keith.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The only gear I can personally say clearly gets sold for bragging rights the most is McIntosh. Aside from that there's a lot of dealer interpretation on the situation. Perhaps some prefer to take it home and listen, even purchased, before they really know how much they like it? Unless they literally walk in and say, "that looks cool" and walk out with it, it's hard to make these claims. There's factors like just because someone doesn't know how to setup a stereo well doesn't mean they aren't in it for the sound, but the dealer might think that.

For future reference if I go to a dealer knowing I already want to buy something I think I'll do my best to feed this notion. "Wow that will look wonderful next to my leopard skin, I'll take it"

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
On another forum, one of the members there ( who happens to be an audio dealer) stated something that I have heard as a prevalent comment. His comment was that he believed that a lot of a'philes buy gear only due to the aesthetic and price tag...not at all interested in the sound, or really that concerned about the price or anything else. IOW, akin to picking up a piece of jewelry and having the bragging right that goes along with the brightest and biggest bauble.

There are a few on this forum but they won't admit to it, but you know who they are.

You can also add the Dartzeel monoblocs. Just give me a good sound without the bling.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't really understand how there is a problem with people buying real audio products as bling. If you're not into doing that, don't. They are, and it supports the industry.

The companies offering straight bling without much for sound quality admit to it. They call it lifestyle, and art, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing