VPI Owners

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK, can't believe there aren't any VPI table owners here :)

So who has the new Classic and how do you like it? Seems like it delivers a lot for $2750.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Former VPI guy here. Aries 2 then HRX. Loved them when I had them. Good value in my opinion.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
anyone heard or are using the HRX Rim Drive and if so what are its virtues

The rim drive is so much better than the belt drive version. The music just flows better, has better dynamics and imaging and more soul and body. I think that goes to show the importance of microspeed stability.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have the TNT 3.5 with the 12.5 JMW arm. Just purchased a center weight and outer ring clamp from TTWeights (see http://www.ttweights.com/page/page/6597621.htm.

I have no interest in make any TT changes. I love what this table does for music. I looked into going to the HRX and decided to stay where I am. There is ALWAYS better!

Did you have the VPI clamps/center weight first or just upgrade with the TT weight accessories? How did you like the changes?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I had the VPI screw down clamp. Since I also added the TTWeights outer ring at the same time, I can't compare apples to apples.

OK...what do you hear with the clamp/weight?

Myles

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have the original VPI TNT. The two extra spindles have been romoved per VPI recommendation and the holes plugged with caps provided by VPI. I wrote a thread on Audiogon about all of the recent work that was done to my bearing by a machinist. Suffice it to say that it is better now then when it was new. I did add the 300 RPM motor and I bought a new SDS. I am using the ET-2 arm because I have found nothing yet that is better that I can afford. I just recently performed a shoot-out with the Fidelity Research FR-64s arm mounted to my VPI and it wasn't close for me. I also had the JMW-10 arm (that came with the table when I bought it) and it was OK, but I couldn't get excited about it. I get excited about the ET-2 every time I cue up a record. I don't have a burning desire to upgrade to a different table or arm. I think the basic design of the original TNT is so sound (no pun intended) that it would take mucho dollars to better it. I know this isn't supposed to count, but I really like the way the ET-2 looks on the TNT. They were made for each other. Oh, I also have the VPI TNT stand that I bought brand new as well. The legs are filled with lead shot.

Mark

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just joined, VPI Aries 3, sitting on custom granite shelf. Getting Stillpoints today to try them out. Tried the HRS isolation platform, but doesn't really fit my Zoethecus stand.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just joined, VPI Aries 3, sitting on custom granite shelf. Getting Stillpoints today to try them out. Tried the HRS isolation platform, but doesn't really fit my Zoethecus stand.

Keep us apprised of the Stillpoints. Many seem to like them; a good friend switched to their equipment rack and stand under his amps and swears by them!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So I actually bought Stillpoints and their HC Mini Inverse Risers, plus 2" diameter Sorbothane Hemispheres. I placed the Stillpoints under the granite shelf and did my basic tapping test on the rack and the granite, and back and forth. I also used the Revox at maximum input to assert the findings.

The Stillpoints are extremely effective in reducing feedback, to the tune of about 20dB, and as you can tell, quite audible. Then I placed the sorbothane feet under the VPI's feet - yes, actually the pointy feet sink into the sorbothane, quite a bit in fact (pics will be provided tomorrow). Tapping test again on the rack and granite - also extremely effective in reducing feedback by about another 20dB. That's probably not surprising. But when I compare these results to what the HRS S1 isolation platform gave me - at $1000 more - which was about 30dB total reduction, I was stunned to have been able to find such an effective isolation at a much lower cost.

OK obvious question - how can I be so sure there was this kind of difference? The Revox did the job: with the HRS, after tapping there was residual subsonic energy clearly shown in the VU meters, which took about 1-2 seconds to dissipate! With my tweaks, no such energy, no matter how hard I tapped. Consider this: with the HRS, the VU meters first go sky high, then drop, then back up again (no audible sound at this point), and finally oscillating as they eventually slowly go silent. With my tweak, pure linear travel - up and then quite fast down to rest, with no overhang. Really fun to watch.

When I moved on to the listening tests, the audible effect of these two tweaks wasn't any different than what I achieved with the HRS platform. Surprising??? Probably not - the granite is a 50lb shelf much like the HRS, and the tweaks are just as effective as the HRS's rubber-like (polymer?) feet. The 'table is also very stable because the feet sink very deep into the Sorbothane. Will the Sorbothane eventually survive the VPI's weight? Unknown yet, but this is a configuration worth keeping for now.

The audible improvement is as you would expect - gone is any bass overhang, rendering clear and tight bass drums, and any ringing of the granite and any motor-induced noise is largely absorbed by the Sorbothane, so the sound is very crisp - frighteningly so in fact, especially with drums... Next up is actually more Sorbothane, this time as thin sheets under the motor, for which I will design some sort of mini platform to sit on, with the Sorbothane sheet underneath it. Stay tuned.

(The Sorbothane hemispheres are a mere $17 for four - http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Rubber-Bumper-Non-Skid-Feet/dp/B003IMODW8/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1)

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have been using a VPI HW 19MKII since the late 80s. There were offers to upgrade it to the Mk IV but I'm not that hot on upgrading things piece by piece. And it meant re-soldering those thin litz wires of my ET2 from its RCA box just to remove the TT plinth, I said no just thinking about it. lol. I never had a second TT in my room so never had an A/B test with anything that could potentially beat my present TT so that has kept me happy all these years. I just had a cartridge change within the last 10 years and that's it. Happy sleuthing and playing my vinyls.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's the pic
IMG_1986..jpg

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Myles,

Following a 25+ year departure from vinyl, I returned with an HW-19 MKIV. An ET-2 adorns the tt and I'm listening through a Tri TRV-EQ3SE phonostage. A Benz Micro cart will soon be changed...An SDS complements the vinyl rig.

-Sam

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

Following a 25+ year departure from vinyl, I returned with an HW-19 MKIV. An ET-2 adorns the tt and I'm listening through a Tri TRV-EQ3SE phonostage. A Benz Micro cart will soon be changed...An SDS complements the vinyl rig.

-Sam

That's a great sounding combo! Had that some years back :) Are you using a surge tank/low flow rate air pump too?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
That's a great sounding combo! Had that some years back :) Are you using a surge tank/low flow rate air pump too?

Thanks, Myles :) Yes, an Air Tech Surge Tank/Air Reservoir and Herb Wolfe-modified WISA pump are in the chain...uncertain if the WISA is of the low flow variety.

-Sam

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks, Myles :) Yes, an Air Tech Surge Tank/Air Reservoir and Herb Wolfe-modified WISA pump are in the chain...uncertain if the WISA is of the low flow variety.

-Sam

Yes, the Wisa is. The other thing that helps is keeping that in line filter. That air flow still cools things down and causes condensation in the line. Don't want water -- or for that matter, motor oil--in the bearing.

The other thing I really loved about my ET 2 was being able to mount a micrometer on the arm and measure extremely fine changes in VTA!!!

Satch

May 16, 2010
Cocoa Beach, Fl.
I don't have a VPI turntable, but I do have a VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine and a VPI center weight that I use on my Scheu Analog Cello turntable.

audioguy posted the TTweights.com sight and I found something I might be interested in. The 600 gram TT Outer Ring. I've been checking out VPI TT's with an outer ring, now I see that I could get one that would fit my TT. I like the nickle plated one. I wonder if it would be worth the $450.00 or so for this tweak...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing