Entreq Ground Boxes Review

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
yep confirms my findings, seems to do nothing but when you take it off the sound goes thin and weird. a full switch off and drain of caps etc remedies this. i had no need for the device.

we don't need another entreq thread, we already have 3.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for that Dan.
As I read the whole review I kept saying to myself yes to that, yes to that.............based on my own listening experiences

I remember particularly playing an early Dave Edmunds CD and the track" Playing With The Queen of Hearts" before and after grounding the amp negative speaker terminals with two Apollo earth cables and two Silver Minimus. After the grounding it no longer sounded like an early CD but a decent much later recording.

It was even better when I replaced the two Silver Minimus with a Poseidon box and also grounded the amp to the Poseidon and which had previously been grounded to a Silver Tellus.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Fascinating to read his impressions of not hearing a difference multiple times. And then hearing it. If devices make such enormous difference, there should be no back and forth. Change one speaker for another. Do you have any occasion to think nothing is changed?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for that Dan.
As I read the whole review I kept saying to myself yes to that, yes to that.............based on my own listening experiences
Oh, so did you have all of those occasions where you did not hear any effect from the box too?

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
What interests me in a number of reports about the audible effects of the Entreq, is the perception that the sound worsens as soon as the device is removed.
Spaz, reports that (without the Intona inline) once audio system is turned off & back on again ( & the resevoir caps refill - his premise), then the sound is back to the way it should be.
Anybody care to explain what might be happening here (apart from people stating it's a imagination/delusion)?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Oh, so did you have all of those occasions where you did not hear any effect from the box too?

No actually.
From the totally unexpected initial experience of Entreq which I have reported in detail more than once on this forum, and my subsequent experiences, similarly reported, all my experiences have been entirely positive.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
THanks Barry. So a follow up if I may. Do you notice the effect when you take the unit away immediately? What about re-insertion? I am trying to figure out my listening test fixtures and this data is critical in figuring out that strategy.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
No actually.
From the totally unexpected initial experience of Entreq which I have reported in detail more than once on this forum, and my subsequent experiences, similarly reported, all my experiences have been entirely positive.
Have you ever carried out an unsighted comparison ,where you were completely unaware whether the unit was connected or not?
Keith.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Do you notice the effect when you take the unit away immediately? What about re-insertion? I am trying to figure out my listening test fixtures and this data is critical in figuring out that strategy.

Amir,

I am happy for you to PM me for further details of the tests I carried out. For good reason I did not wish to complicate matters on the forum more than they already were. I believe I am probably the only person here (and likely elsewhere outside of those directly involved with the development of the products) who has directly observed the insertion / removal effects with my eyes as opposed to my ears. I did much more testing than I described but much of it was for my own elucidation rather than for the digestion of the forum, since it would not have been particularly relevant and would have fanned the flames. But if you are really going to test a unit, it might be of help as to a certain extent, despite my lack of qualifications, testing experience and equipment, I have "been there done that" and I think most of us would like to see it tested fairly. There are so many variables at stake here that if I were to list them all I'd run out of toilet paper...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
THanks Barry. So a follow up if I may. Do you notice the effect when you take the unit away immediately? What about re-insertion? I am trying to figure out my listening test fixtures and this data is critical in figuring out that strategy.

Thank you Amir.
It's long time since I have done any withdrawal/reconnect.
Two reasons for that. Firstly, a very practical reason. I have two Silver Tellus, one Atlantis Tellus two Silver Minimus. a Receivus on top of my Vitus amp, and all my i/cs and speaker cables are Entreq and thus connected to ground boxes so it would be a substantial exercise. Secondly,and rightly or wrongly I don't believe I would derive any benefit from it.
Now I accept that is open to criticism but I'm comfortable with my listening experience.
I did undertake some connecting disconnecting at the beginning of this Entreq journey and experienced the same effects that have been reported by others and which are reported in the Stereo Times review that Dan has been good enough to provide us with.
As I mentioned when I replaced the two Silver Minimus with the Poseidon the improvement was quickly apparent but I should add that I did not just change the amplifier negative speaker terminal grounding but also the amp grounding from a Silver Tellus to the Poseidon. I also found, and reported it previously, that three or four weeks after that change I had a further significant improvement from the Poseidon which did make me wonder. On making some enquiries I found that others had had the same experience so stopped questioning what I was hearing.
Turning to your forthcoming tests and not wishing to dictate to Per, I am sure Per will be happy to send you a Silver Tellus which in my experience is significantly better than the base Tellus and would allow you to connect up more components. I say that because I have found that there are cumulative benefits with more of the system connected to the boxes, The Poseidon is big and heavy so it's understandable that he has not offered to send you one. It is,however, three Olympus Minimus in one box,(not sure what the plural word is), and if he was willing to send you one Olympus Minimus that would be interesting. Obviously you would need some earth cables and one copper, one Konstantin, and a couple of Apollos would be ideal. On some kit the copper works better than the silver ones as Roy Gregory found in his review quite a while ago with his amp.
You could then start with the Silver Tellus with one copper earth to the amp, then add another copper to the preamp. At a later stage do the same with the Apollos and then experiment with all four leaving the Olympus to last and probably starting using that with an Apollo to the preamp, At this stage I don't know what your system comprises so that could change. There would also be merit in the subsequent stages in grounding your digital source to the Minimus with the others relying on the Silver Tellus. The Atlantis earth in addition to being more expensive is acknowledged to be more system dependant but very good in the right system. Don't ask me why cos I don't know!
As I think is apparent from earlier posts and the OP review you do have to allow quite a bit of time for the Entreq components to settle in. It will be interesting to see if there is any validation of that in your proposed measurements but the experience is very consistent on that.
Throughout my Entreq journey I have used the Mofi Modern Cool SACD to evaluate the Entreq components and specifically track 11 Postmodern Blues. The piano kicks in after about 90 seconds and has showed a distinct improvement in sound as I have climbed the ladder, That track further on has some great double bass solos which again I have found to be a good test.
I hope that is helpful to you and please feel free to come back to me if I can help further.
Best regards
Barry

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi again Amir.
Two other digital listening suggestions I forgot to mention.
The Absence Melody Gardot SACD. Great for the improvements in the flow of the music and vocal articulation.
Any of the Abco Rolling Stones SACDs

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi again Amir.
Two other digital listening suggestions I forgot to mention.
The Absence Melody Gardot SACD. Great for the improvements in the flow of the music and vocal articulation.

Hi Barry. THanks a bunch for all the info and music info. Much appreciated. I do have Absence but only at 16/44.1. I almost bought the high-res version to compare this morning but didn't!

Any of the Abco Rolling Stones SACDs
Will look for this although it has been ages since I bought an SACD :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

I am happy for you to PM me for further details of the tests I carried out. For good reason I did not wish to complicate matters on the forum more than they already were. I believe I am probably the only person here (and likely elsewhere outside of those directly involved with the development of the products) who has directly observed the insertion / removal effects with my eyes as opposed to my ears. I did much more testing than I described but much of it was for my own elucidation rather than for the digestion of the forum, since it would not have been particularly relevant and would have fanned the flames. But if you are really going to test a unit, it might be of help as to a certain extent, despite my lack of qualifications, testing experience and equipment, I have "been there done that" and I think most of us would like to see it tested fairly. There are so many variables at stake here that if I were to list them all I'd run out of toilet paper...
Hi Fiddle. As an honorary measurement guy :D, I would more than welcome any information you can share in PM :). So please have it coming.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry. THanks a bunch for all the info and music info. Much appreciated. I do have Absence but only at 16/44.1. I almost bought the high-res version to compare this morning but didn't!

Will look for this although it has been ages since I bought an SACD :).

Thanks Amir.
One last thought and then I will leave you to decide how to proceed.
I would recommend you try first all the various combinations of connections by ears alone and obviously keep a note of what if any changes you hear.
After you have done that then start again from scratch and measure with and without at each stage. I can't see any way of doing that quickly and credibly because of the settle in factor.
Trust you will receive that in the altruistic manner intended.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing