Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mola Mola Makua Pre-DAC

Congratulations Michael. Looking forward to your thoughts as break in continues.

So, are the Mola Mola amps keepers? I'm on my first taste of Ncore amps with the Nord One up NC500's and I am just amazed with the sound. They are great and I can only wonder what you are hearing.

Thanks.
    Last edited by joeinid; 02-20-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    Joe

Hello Michael - is your Makua configured with both the internal DAC and an internal Phono stage? Sorry it seems based on your post title that it is at least the former, but just wanted to double check.

I have been very curious as to the quality of the DAC and/or phono stage, so looking forward to your thoughts on this item.

Barr

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
    Hello Michael - is your Makua configured with both the internal DAC and an internal Phono stage? Sorry it seems based on your post title that it is at least the former, but just wanted to double check.

I have been very curious as to the quality of the DAC and/or phono stage, so looking forward to your thoughts on this item.

Barr
    No phono. The DAC has an AES for now. There will be more input boards available soon (USB, Ethernet and spdif). But I'll keep the AES.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    So, are the Mola Mola amps keepers? I'm on my first taste of Ncore amps with the Nord One up NC500's and I am just amazed with the sound. They are great and I can only wonder what you are hearing.

Thanks.
    Thanks Joe. I was one of the first to get the Kaluga amps in the US. I've had them for 18 months or so. That's a long time for me. For me, they are the perfect amps.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Awesome, great to read that. Now I need to give them a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    Thanks Joe. I was one of the first to get the Kaluga amps in the US. I've had them for 18 months or so. That's a long time for me. For me, they are the perfect amps.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    Yes and no. It works only on android. I had to buy a cheapy Galaxy pad. But it does work very well. It's easy to use. The volume control knob is super sweet. It's very sensitive and moves in unison with the android app volume. The front is very clean. Mola Mola is the best industrial design/fit finish I've seen and touched. And that includes brands like Dartzeel and Soulution; both I've owned.
    I had to borrow my son's Galaxy tablet !
    I do hope you like it , mine has been flawless , the phono is superb, and it hugely versatile , I am interested to hear your thoughts regarding the dac section, especially compared to the Hilo, which I owned and am a fan of.
    Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    I had to borrow my son's Galaxy tablet !
    I do hope you like it , mine has been flawless , the phono is superb, and it hugely versatile , I am interested to hear your thoughts regarding the dac section, especially compared to the Hilo, which I owned and am a fan of.
    Keith.
    I love the Makua and Kaluga combo with the JBL horns speakers. Horns are really great at delivering all the very low level details. Those details are like the background of a beautiful painting. They add all the context to the true meaning being offered. It's just music; nothing else.

I like listening to all types of music. I've found that some of the harshest sounding (on most other systems) music can be the most difficult to reproduce for all parts of the system. It's ironic and difficult to understand for me to say that so called crappy recordings can reveal big differences where other types of music make those differences mere subtlety. I'm listening to M. Ward now. The music feels like it wraps arounds me like a warm embrace.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Bruno personally signed the manual after an initial statement he offers to summarize his design goal and some innovative features.

I get the feeling that Bruno is even more proud of this accomplishment than his amp designs. I agree. It's a lifetime keeper.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Here's some tech stuff.
    http://mola-mola.nl/index.php/dak

The measurements are legit and are state of the art. Distortion is too low to measure with the best AP test gear.

The DAC design is fully discrete and can be updated at anytime via software. This is the worlds first complete pulse width modulation ("PWM") DAC. Here's Bruno describing his design.
    http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/...audio-part-two

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LNvVXCqEtEU
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Great info Dallas. How is Mola Mola US distribution? Do they use a dealer network?
    Marty

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast