Mola Mola Makua Pre-DAC

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
Any more users of the Mola Mola suite able to pitch in ?
I've done a little reading and the reviews are great other than Mono and Stereo who wasn't impressed with the monoblocks.
Every other review is nothing but glowing..
look forward to hearing more about the Mola Mola
Cheers

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
Hi Bobbi, I will be auditioning the MolaMola trio this week and I will post up my thoughts.

I am going to use it with the fidata and LuminS1 in the following set ups:

Lumin S1 to mono blocks only. Volume control by Lumin app.

Fidata USB to Mola Mola dac to SST SOA XLR. LuminS1 XLR to analogue input.

Mola Mola trio used together. Unfortunately I cannot connect the BNC digital output to the Mola dac because the Mola has AES digital inputs only on this particular model. I believe you can specify different inputs. AES is good but not compatible with BNC on Lumin. TheLumin U1 would work but I don't have one to hand at the moment.

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
I'm signed up as a Mola Mola dealer. Great sound and case work is immaculate. 5 inputs that can be set up individually as required. So with phono stage you can set it up for the type of cartridge you are using on each input. Built in dac is state of the art. Digital inputs are USB type B, AES/EBU, and optical. There is also a Ethernet port for future upgrades when a built in server becomes available. This is a product which is future proofed. Great match with fidata server. Looking forward to future developments. Stand alone DAC will be available later in the year. The Makua can be set up and controlled from any Android device. Apple controller included or Mola Mola hand set available as an extra.

We are waiting for our demo units to arrive and then after burn-in I can report back with further updates.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I'm signed up as a Mola Mola dealer. Great sound and case work is immaculate. 5 inputs that can be set up individually as required. So with phono stage you can set it up for the type of cartridge you are using on each input. Built in dac is state of the art. Digital inputs are USB type B, AES/EBU, and optical. There is also a Ethernet port for future upgrades when a built in server becomes available. This is a product which is future proofed. Great match with fidata server. Looking forward to future developments. Stand alone DAC will be available later in the year. The Makua can be set up and controlled from any Android device. Apple controller included or Mola Mola hand set available as an extra.

We are waiting for our demo units to arrive and then after burn-in I can report back with further updates.
Hope the line works out well for you, but they've been promising the stand alone DAC for about a year and still the product is vaporware...

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Michael, i think this is my first post but have read a lot of goid stuff on whatsbest. If i might ask a qiestion without derailing the thread and could have been covered elsewhere.

Why do you only use the power cord that came in the box? It seems a lower impedance cable would offer more instantaneous current delivery and also potential noise rejection depending on the specific design.

Being a scientist and engineer it took me a long while before i believed this could possibly matter.

Thanks,
Todd

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Michael, i think this is my first post but have read a lot of goid stuff on whatsbest. If i might ask a qiestion without derailing the thread and could have been covered elsewhere.

Why do you only use the power cord that came in the box? It seems a lower impedance cable would offer more instantaneous current delivery and also potential noise rejection depending on the specific design.

Being a scientist and engineer it took me a long while before i believed this could possibly matter.

Thanks,
Todd
I think Michael sold his Mola Mola combo early last year.

Any more Mola Mola Makua owners out there?

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK

Thanks,
Todd

Hi Todd

We are using the Makua with different mains cables as part of a dedicated spur, no plugs/sockets/fuses in line straight from CU to IEC plug. So in order to use the supplied cable we would need to introduce a socket block which would l feel be detrimental. I haven't been told that we should use the supplied cable for best results.

As regards the SQ of the Makua, (we are using the built in DAC) it is very open and natural sounding.

If you have any other questions please ask.

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
Hello,

Just an update on the stand alone DAC. My understanding is that it will be in a case the same size as one mono and include a server. The server can also be incorporated into the preamp and be retro fitted if you already have a dac/preamp. Availability sometime end of this year/early next year. The cost of the dac/server will be around £10k. Upgrade preamp boards around £4K.

If you are in the UK and would like to hear Mola Mola please drop me a line. I can arrange home demos as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing