Mola Mola Makua Pre-DAC

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Just so I can answer the most important questions from all the self-proclaimed "DAC is the best" experts (you know who you are):

1. I use AES/EBU.
2. I'm using the out of the box power cable.

Numbers 1 and 2 will never change. You may now avert eyes. :p

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Hope you aren't referring to me. ;)

Just so I can answer the most important questions from all the self-proclaimed "DAC is the best" experts (you know who you are):

1. I use AES/EBU.
2. I'm using the out of the box power cable.

Numbers 1 and 2 will never change. You may now avert eyes. :p

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I am really intrigued by this preamp. Fully configurable via Bluetooth with an iPad correct?

Yes and no. It works only on android. I had to buy a cheapy Galaxy pad. But it does work very well. It's easy to use. The volume control knob is super sweet. It's very sensitive and moves in unison with the android app volume. The front is very clean. Mola Mola is the best industrial design/fit finish I've seen and touched. And that includes brands like Dartzeel and Soulution; both I've owned.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I thought your setup has a lot DSP and bass management and require multi channel DAC?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Michael. Looking forward to your thoughts as break in continues.

So, are the Mola Mola amps keepers? I'm on my first taste of Ncore amps with the Nord One up NC500's and I am just amazed with the sound. They are great and I can only wonder what you are hearing.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Hello Michael - is your Makua configured with both the internal DAC and an internal Phono stage? Sorry it seems based on your post title that it is at least the former, but just wanted to double check.

I have been very curious as to the quality of the DAC and/or phono stage, so looking forward to your thoughts on this item.

Barr

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Hello Michael - is your Makua configured with both the internal DAC and an internal Phono stage? Sorry it seems based on your post title that it is at least the former, but just wanted to double check.

I have been very curious as to the quality of the DAC and/or phono stage, so looking forward to your thoughts on this item.

Barr

No phono. The DAC has an AES for now. There will be more input boards available soon (USB, Ethernet and spdif). But I'll keep the AES.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
So, are the Mola Mola amps keepers? I'm on my first taste of Ncore amps with the Nord One up NC500's and I am just amazed with the sound. They are great and I can only wonder what you are hearing.

Thanks.

Thanks Joe. I was one of the first to get the Kaluga amps in the US. I've had them for 18 months or so. That's a long time for me. For me, they are the perfect amps.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Awesome, great to read that. Now I need to give them a listen. :D

Thanks Joe. I was one of the first to get the Kaluga amps in the US. I've had them for 18 months or so. That's a long time for me. For me, they are the perfect amps.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Yes and no. It works only on android. I had to buy a cheapy Galaxy pad. But it does work very well. It's easy to use. The volume control knob is super sweet. It's very sensitive and moves in unison with the android app volume. The front is very clean. Mola Mola is the best industrial design/fit finish I've seen and touched. And that includes brands like Dartzeel and Soulution; both I've owned.
I had to borrow my son's Galaxy tablet !
I do hope you like it , mine has been flawless , the phono is superb, and it hugely versatile , I am interested to hear your thoughts regarding the dac section, especially compared to the Hilo, which I owned and am a fan of.
Keith.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I had to borrow my son's Galaxy tablet !
I do hope you like it , mine has been flawless , the phono is superb, and it hugely versatile , I am interested to hear your thoughts regarding the dac section, especially compared to the Hilo, which I owned and am a fan of.
Keith.

I love the Makua and Kaluga combo with the JBL horns speakers. Horns are really great at delivering all the very low level details. Those details are like the background of a beautiful painting. They add all the context to the true meaning being offered. It's just music; nothing else.

I like listening to all types of music. I've found that some of the harshest sounding (on most other systems) music can be the most difficult to reproduce for all parts of the system. It's ironic and difficult to understand for me to say that so called crappy recordings can reveal big differences where other types of music make those differences mere subtlety. I'm listening to M. Ward now. The music feels like it wraps arounds me like a warm embrace. :D

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Bruno personally signed the manual after an initial statement he offers to summarize his design goal and some innovative features.

I get the feeling that Bruno is even more proud of this accomplishment than his amp designs. I agree. It's a lifetime keeper.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing