Mysterious damage to LPs

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Like i said earlier, it is most likely a manufacturing defect. However, looking at your photo something else also occurred to me. If you rotate a record in its inner sleeve, and that record is not clean or the inside of the inner sleeve is also contaminated, then it is very possible to cause the damage to the groove that I see. Many of the current inner sleeves, particularly the one's that are coming on some of the new re-issues are made from some kind of plastic. They're not made from rice paper or the like...as are the excellent MFSL inner sleeves. I make it a point to NOT store my new LP's in the harder plastic sleeves...or for that matter in any other sleeves like the old paper ones from the day ( only in the MFSL inner sleeves). Plus, I also make sure that the inner sleeves are clean on the interior. VERY important to also clean the LP before putting it into any inner sleeve.
I'm not saying you have stored your LP's incorrectly, but it is always best to replace those inferior inner sleeves with something that can do no harm. IMHO.

:D

Just to say that in many years of playing records and putting them away in sleeves, this is the first time that I have seen this phenomenon of non-fill vinyl. Also the dust on the one LP is untypical since that disk had been out and in its sleeve and wasn't clean as usual. (Also we get dust from the Sahara here on the Iberian Peninsula.) Also it seems that the groove damage is too "surgical" to have been caused by rubbing on the inside of a record sleeve, at least on my two LPs. Good advice though and it's also important to bulge out the sleeve as you insert the disk.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Interesting, that looks vaguely similar to a 4-LP Miles Davis set from Analogue Productions I had issues with. Three tries later and I finally gave up and kept the least troublesome. Disk 1 had the same sort of pattern, though it took closer inspection to see the problem.
It looked like someone had one of those fabric wheels used to imprint a clothing pattern onto the material for cutting, and gave the LP a going over. I figured it had to be the result of a bad stamper or pressing issues. This has been a big problem for me in the past couple of years and I've pretty much given up on new vinyl. No QC at all. The only new label I will buy is MFSL. I've had nothing but awesome quiet vinyl from them.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It is definately non -fill

Pressings from RTI seem to have it more than other pressing plants from time to time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing