Mysterious damage to LPs

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
For the past year I have been using an SME 20/3 TT with the Series V arm and a Lyra Skala cartridge.

Lately I've noticed damage to 3 or 4 new LPs unlike anything seen before, very localized groove damage from <a half inch to about 2 inches, the rest of the disk being pristine. The groove looks as if scored by a tiny chisel. The sound is a brief, "zip" noise lasting up to 4 or 5 passes, after which the record plays normally.

My first thought was cartridge trouble, but the Skala tracks perfectly and silently, and the damage is localized to one spot on the disk. Therefore I don't blame the cartridge but don't want to risk further harm to my record collection either.

I suspect that the groove damage on these new LPs might be a flaw from the manufacturing process but seek some advice.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
For the past year I have been using an SME 20/3 TT with the Series V arm and a Lyra Skala cartridge.

Lately I've noticed damage to 3 or 4 new LPs unlike anything seen before, very localized groove damage from <a half inch to about 2 inches, the rest of the disk being pristine. The groove looks as if scored by a tiny chisel. The sound is a brief, "zip" noise lasting up to 4 or 5 passes, after which the record plays normally.

My first thought was cartridge trouble, but the Skala tracks perfectly and silently, and the damage is localized to one spot on the disk. Therefore I don't blame the cartridge but don't want to risk further harm to my record collection either.

I suspect that the groove damage on these new LPs might be a flaw from the manufacturing process but seek some advice.
You call them new lp's but you have previously played them with no issues noticed? Same area of platter? Same label?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Probbaly due to mistracking due to improper VTF or alignment. Timited area of damage would suggest misalignment. Of course to damge your record it would have to be severely misaligned.

Just my guess.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^^. I find it hard to believe that such severe mistracking would not be noticed while playing the platters.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
True.OTOH prexisting damage should have been audible on the first play also.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
You call them new lp's but you have previously played them with no issues noticed? Same area of platter? Same label?

Thanks for your response. The LPs with the worst damage were played once before I noticed the damage. Since the noise is localized and lasts only seconds I might have missed it first time around. The affected areas on the disk are different as are the labels, WaxTime and DOL (European reissue labels which usually do an excellent job on 180 gm vinyl).

The reason for concern is the remote possibility that the cartridge is the culprit but it shows none of the usual signs of a worn stylus, e.g. distortion, surface noise, mis-tracking, etc., has had moderate use and never roughly handled. A faulty stylus would damage the whole surface of the record, not just one spot.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would suggest having the stylus tip examined,

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for your response. The LPs with the worst damage were played once before I noticed the damage. Since the noise is localized and lasts only seconds I might have missed it first time around. The affected areas on the disk are different as are the labels, WaxTime and DOL (European reissue labels which usually do an excellent job on 180 gm vinyl).

The reason for concern is the remote possibility that the cartridge is the culprit but it shows none of the usual signs of a worn stylus, e.g. distortion, surface noise, mis-tracking, etc., has had moderate use and never roughly handled. A faulty stylus would damage the whole surface of the record, not just one spot.

I notice the same sort of thing on almost all Speakers Corners LPs and they are pressed in Germany somewhere.

It's a real shame because I love their catalog and mastering.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I notice the same sort of thing on almost all Speakers Corners LPs and they are pressed in Germany somewhere.

It's a real shame because I love their catalog and mastering.

WaxTime is based in Spain and DOL is I think a subsidiary of a Russian company. Between them they have the rights to classic jazz titles from the 1950s and 1960s. In the past few days there have been no further problems with playback so will assume that the issue is with the manufacturing process. If there is a repeat, the stylus will have to be checked.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Highly probable that it is a faulty pressing. Amazingly, I have seen several faulty pressings from reissue companies in the past few years. None of the labels seem immune to this issue! I have received faulty Music Matters Lp's, MFSL's and AP's! However, usually if you look carefully at the disc prior to play, you can see some perceptible damage. Luckily, I have been able to replace all of these LP's. Manufacturing defects in vinyl should be a thing of the past...unfortunately IME, it is not.:(

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Highly probable that it is a faulty pressing. Amazingly, I have seen several faulty pressings from reissue companies in the past few years. None of the labels seem immune to this issue! I have received faulty Music Matters Lp's, MFSL's and AP's! However, usually if you look carefully at the disc prior to play, you can see some perceptible damage. Luckily, I have been able to replace all of these LP's. Manufacturing defects in vinyl should be a thing of the past...unfortunately IME, it is not.:(
I'm going to return one of these disks where the groove damage is pretty apparent to see if it can be replaced. It is Sonny Rollins, The Bridge, an excellent LP in every way. They know me at the store so that might help. It is amazing that the quality is as good as it is since there is a shortage of LP pressing machines and they are old. I don't think that the vinyl "boom" has reached the stage where new machines are being produced.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm going to return one of these disks where the groove damage is pretty apparent to see if it can be replaced. It is Sonny Rollins, The Bridge, an excellent LP in every way. They know me at the store so that might help. It is amazing that the quality is as good as it is since there is a shortage of LP pressing machines and they are old. I don't think that the vinyl "boom" has reached the stage where new machines are being produced.

Actually there is a company in Toronto doing exactly that.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/stop-presses-new-presses-coming#skrxSAl5Wb2pc61w.97

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good to know, news hot off the press, so to speak. I've bought many of these European pressings in Portugal and wondering if the DOL and WaxTime jazz labels are available in North America?
I don't own any titles from those two labels, but I've heard of them. Not sure if there is NA distribution of them, but surely they are easily ordered from overseas.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
It's hard to tell without hearing it or a photo. It might be a pressing defect... try Googling "non fill vinyl".

I think that Don Hills has identified the problem as "non-fill vinyl since the "ripping sound" described could be the zipping sound that I hear. I attach a couple of photos to illustrate the problem on two records, and BTW I apologize for the dust since I didn't clean it for photography. The damage show up as grey streaks following the grooves. LPs 004 - Copy.JPG LPs 006 - Copy.JPG

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Good job Don. A refund or exchange is definitely in order.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Good job Don. A refund or exchange is definitely in order.

Second the motion. All credit to Don Hills and thanks to you all for your help. While I regret the damage to individual LPs (and I shall ask for replacement) my big concern was that the cartridge was to blame which seems not to be the case. These postings have been invaluable to me and we all have learned something. Thanks again.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Like i said earlier, it is most likely a manufacturing defect. However, looking at your photo something else also occurred to me. If you rotate a record in its inner sleeve, and that record is not clean or the inside of the inner sleeve is also contaminated, then it is very possible to cause the damage to the groove that I see. Many of the current inner sleeves, particularly the one's that are coming on some of the new re-issues are made from some kind of plastic. They're not made from rice paper or the like...as are the excellent MFSL inner sleeves. I make it a point to NOT store my new LP's in the harder plastic sleeves...or for that matter in any other sleeves like the old paper ones from the day ( only in the MFSL inner sleeves). Plus, I also make sure that the inner sleeves are clean on the interior. VERY important to also clean the LP before putting it into any inner sleeve.
I'm not saying you have stored your LP's incorrectly, but it is always best to replace those inferior inner sleeves with something that can do no harm. IMHO.

:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing