Remembering the NASCAR legend, Dale Earnhardt Sr.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Today marks 15 years since the death of Dale Earnhardt Sr.. NASCAR has not been the same ever since. That day the world lost a great friend, a great driver and a great person on the final lap of the Daytona 500. His death happened during something that wasn't a typical Dale move, not to mention a selfless act, holding off others so that Michael Waltrip could win. You are remembered brother and you sure are missed.

Tom

I heard through the grapevine that God was looking for a race car driver, so that day he choose the best.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
NASCAR has never recovered from his death as evidenced by the grandstands being increasingly empty on race day.
I used to watch every race in its entirety every week, heck even my wife got into it because of rainbow warrior Jeffy.
My interest has gone to watching a few laps a few times a year. Bristol night race is the only one I watch in full.
Mr. Simpson got the raw deal out it also. The seat belt broke because of incorrect installation that caused the belt to cut on its mount. Crucifying him over that was a scapegoat. Bill has protected and saved more lives than can be measured.

The safety measures that were implamented as a result of his wreck has definitely unquestionably saved lives.

Ask ANY driver from that era the one thing they hated. The response was always the same, looking in the mirror and seeing the Intimidater coming up on you.
People say he wrecked a lot of people and he no doubt did, BUT he always gave you about 5 laps to go faster or move out of the way. If you didn't do one or the other, he moved you!
My favorite quote from him, as he hated restrictor plates was, "If you don't want to race without restrictor plates you need to tie rags soaked in kerosene around your ankles to keep the ants from getting to your candy ass"
NASCAR changed forever that day and will never recover. It's far to corporate now,the points system sucks and the races are flat boring now.

R.I.P.Dale

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
I went to Daytona a few times starting in 1969.

From the infield you could step up on a car bumper and see the whole track - no sea of motorhomes completely blocking the view in all directions.

If you wanted to go into the pits you just waited till the the guy at the gate wasn't paying attention or walked off and slip in.

They didn't always have as many rules on what a "car" was:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing