Do any DSD DACs have PRAT of PCM? Or just inherent downside of DSD technology?

caesar

May 30, 2010
DSD DACs have always had great harmonic richness, but always lacked PRAT. Is there a DSD DAC that does dynamic snap like PCM, or is it an inherent failure of the technology?

I hate to fall asleep when I listen to music.

DSD DACs have always had great harmonic richness, but always lacked PRAT. Is there a DSD DAC that does dynamic snap like PCM, or is it an inherent failure of the technology?

How can anyone possibly provide an answer to that question given the myriad of other system factors that define / affect "dynamic snap"?

How can anyone possibly provide an answer to that question given the myriad of other system factors that define / affect "dynamic snap"?

I'm hoping someone who understands it deeply can. Or better yet, there is an engineer who has solved this problem.

Are you sure your 'dynamic snap' is an accurate reproduction of how the music should sound?

Not sure what you mean by that question, because to me, DSD recordings have better attack transient reproduction at least in my system (I chose a DAC which can do native DSD, up to Quad rate).

Actually, I also prefer my PCM files to be offline or online converted to DSD before sending to my DAC (YMMV depending on your DAC and the actual filters and algorithms used on your server - HQ Player is fantastic for that, but on PC you can also use the free Foobar2000 and configure it).

Well I can play both. PCM (16/44-24/392) and DSD. I do think DSD is more harmonically rich (to a small degree) and PCM hi res more inciteful (to a small degree). In no way would I ever say DSD via the dCS Vivaldi lacks dynamics snap-in fact it oozes dynamics. As far as PRAT, I feel both formats excel here. With out knowing which dacs you've heard...it's hard to understand why you feel this way...source material is crucial here also.

I love to fall asleep, it's like yoga or....and give a total relax:)

I love to fall asleep, it's like yoga or....and give a total relax:)

Yes, I concur with that. Falling asleep is not the effect I get when listening to boring reproduction. Boring reproduction instead drives me to distraction. Boring music reproduction is not unpleasant, it's uninteresting. Which is not the same feeling as reproduction that induces deep relaxation. Some music is composed to be restful. The sleep inducing effect should of course be composer and composition dependent. Mozart's adagios, in particular, induce a therapeutically relaxing effect on me, often culminating in peaceful sleep. Music can induce all manner of emotional states, in addition to relaxation. If playback only ever induces boredom or sleep, then something is probably very amiss with that system.

Last edited:
Yes, I concur with that. Falling asleep is not the effect I get when listening to boring reproduction. Boring reproduction instead drives me to distraction. Boring music reproduction is not unpleasant, it's uninteresting. Which is not the same feeling as reproduction that induces deep relaxation. Some music is composed to be restful. The sleep inducing effect should of course be composer and composition dependent. Mozart's adagios, in particular, induce a therapeutically relaxing effect on me, often culminating in peaceful sleep. Music can induce all manner of emotional states, in addition to relaxation. If playback only ever induces boredom or sleep, then something is probably very amiss with that system.

I could not express it better, this is exactly what I meant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing