What is the cause of PCM glare? Bad recording or Bad DAC? Anything banish it?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Comes from the recording. I heard very similar sounds that people call digital glare with many Philips or DG LP's (yes they were analog sourced and not LPs of digital recordings). Yet you didn't get glare like that from Telarc LPs which were sourced from digital nor from their CDs. Digital or PCM glare is not an inborn trait of digital.

I do believe the LP process blunts such sound, and is why it may be more common in digital sources. The problem is the recording though not digital.
Raison du jour 'for dgitals appearent inferiority.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Given that I have PCM recordings that have "glare" (AAD, DDD, all genres) and other PCM recordings, even MP3s, that don't, I can only conclude that it's the recordings. Given that I get this clear variation, this revealing view into the recordings, through a DAC that is built into a pair of active monitors that cost less than what some of you guys pay for cables, I can only conclude that if a DAC seems to be eliminating glare from all recordings, it is doing something to mute or cover up that glare (and is muting or covering signal in the same range).

Sometimes. And other times I think people are so accustomed to listening to systems that fatten the lower mids and roll off the highs that they don't really know what harsh, but natural, sounds like. There is "glare" in some instruments, in rooms...god knows there's plenty of it to be found in some tweeters and midrange drivers and the crossover between them. But if your reference is analog sources that soften those frequencies, when you put on digital, and they're suddenly there, it is natural to blame the source, even when it is merely revealing something that is not of the source.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
PCM glare is bad enough but allied to 'timing smear' and the information lost through sampling 'steps' it is a wonder that anyone listens to digital at all.
Keith

I think you forgot to put a smiley on that post.

Tim

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Given that I have PCM recordings that have "glare" (AAD, DDD, all genres) and other PCM recordings, even MP3s, that don't, I can only conclude that it's the recordings. Given that I get this clear variation, this revealing view into the recordings, through a DAC that is built into a pair of active monitors that cost less than what some of you guys pay for cables, I can only conclude that if a DAC seems to be eliminating glare from all recordings, it is doing something to mute or cover up that glare (and is muting or covering signal in the same range).

Sometimes. And other times I think people are so accustomed to listening to systems that fatten the lower mids and roll off the highs that they don't really know what harsh, but natural, sounds like. There is "glare" in some instruments, in rooms...god knows there's plenty of it to be found in some tweeters and midrange drivers. But your reference is analog sources that soften those frequencies, when you put on digital, and they're suddenly there, it is natural to blame the source, even when it is merely revealing something that is not of the source.

Tim[/
Don't be ridiculous Tim, everyone knows that digital has ,glare, smear and lacks analogue resolution and this can only be cured with a ridiculously expensive retail product, to suggest otherwise undermines the entire concept of 'high-end '.
Keith.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Sometimes. And other times I think people are so accustomed to listening to systems that fatten the lower mids and roll off the highs that they don't really know what harsh, but natural, sounds like. There is "glare" in some instruments, in rooms...god knows there's plenty of it to be found in some tweeters and midrange drivers. But your reference is analog sources that soften those frequencies, when you put on digital, and they're suddenly there, it is natural to blame the source, even when it is merely revealing something that is not of the source.

Tim[/
Don't be ridiculous Tim, everyone knows that digital has ,glare, smear and lacks analogue resolution and this can only be cured with a ridiculously expensive retail product, to suggest otherwise undermines the entire concept of 'high-end '.
Keith.

Ladies and Gentlemen, our friend Keith appears to have lost access to emoticons. :)

Tim

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
I am going to have to be quite firm with you Tim, otherwise you will be suggesting that well engineered , but relatively inexpensive equipment sounds as good as if not better than obscenely expensive 'hi-end' equipment, products which are more akin to sticking diamonds on the face on a quite ordinary wristwatch, where will it end!
Keith.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I am going to have to be quite firm with you Tim, otherwise you will be suggesting that well engineered , but relatively inexpensive equipment sounds as good as if not better than obscenely expensive 'hi-end' equipment, products which are more akin to sticking diamonds on the face on a quite ordinary wristwatch, where will it end!
Keith.

Here you go, bud: :) Got your back.

Tim

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
Ok so from I can gather, the consensus seems to be that it is from the recording rather than the medium

No, not quite. I would say, recording artifacts in addition to DAC equipment artifacts. I do agree that digital encoding in general is not responsible, while certain formats of digital such as CD are borderline transparent.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
No glare with the Gumby either.

My Schiit Bifrost (uber, gen2 usb) was one of the worst. Horrible DAC to be honest. Amir found some big problems with it. Not sure I'd give Schiit another chance after that although I want to like them... made in the USA, direct sales, no discounting... same as I do.

I'm pretty happy with my Sony HAP, they keep improving the firmware and the sound has gotten much better since I got it. That's pretty cool...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
No, not quite. I would say, recording artifacts in addition to DAC equipment artifacts. I do agree that digital encoding in general is not responsible, while certain formats of digital such as CD are borderline transparent.

Agreed, there's huge differences in PCM nasties depending on the DAC. DSD seems much less afflicted.

Not sure you need to spend big $$$ to get a good DAC these days and it's only getting better/cheaper...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ok so from I can gather, the consensus seems to be that it is from the recording rather than the medium

I don't mean to be discourteous but nothing could be further from the truth. Digitals faults' are of its' own making.

esldude

Keith.

It can never end. Simply up the current sample rates by 2x and banish that last little bit of digital glare, and time smear you didn't notice before now. Each step getting closer to the infinite sample rate of analog.

Of course in time we will run into this audible problem of high frequencies causing clicks and buzzing sounds.
http://www.stopthecrime.net/Human Perception FINAL.pdf

Seems the 200 mhz to 10 ghz region is the most sensitive. We already have 16x DSD, so I estimate in 6 years we will start running into this problem in a big way. I suppose shielding will be needed. So expect lots of special accessories and traps for this.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
My Schiit Bifrost (uber, gen2 usb) was one of the worst. Horrible DAC to be honest. Amir found some big problems with it. Not sure I'd give Schiit another chance after that although I want to like them... made in the USA, direct sales, no discounting... same as I do.

I'm pretty happy with my Sony HAP, they keep improving the firmware and the sound has gotten much better since I got it. That's pretty cool...

Frankly, the Schiit Yggy and Gumby DACs are stellar. I have not heard the Bifrost. I can state that many people in our audio group have purchased them besides me and all are very happy with them. You should give the Yggy a listen.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I don't mean to be discourteous but nothing could be further from the truth. Digitals faults' are of its' own making.

I don't detect any discourteousness (is that a word?).
Many of the posts here and on the linked avsforums thread seem to point to the recording itself as the problem. Are you saying they are completely wrong about this glare thing (whatever it is) ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't detect any discourteousness (is that a word?).
Many of the posts here and on the linked avsforums thread seem to point to the recording itself as the problem. Are you saying they are completely wrong about this glare thing (whatever it is) ?
I am saying it is one of many scapegoats. bass.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing