KRELL KRC-HR woes

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Hi, I'm wondering if any members have the above pre at all.
I got mine serviced by a non Krell technician and he's taken it upon himself to modify it.
If you have one in your system or in a cupboard could you please PM me as l would like to ask you a few questions.
TIA,
Smokin'

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
thats bad news, i used to have one. great preamp! how has the sound changed?

i had a few krell pre's the KRC-HR being by far the best. there was a brand new one for sale in portugal a while back. boxed and never been use i believe.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
thats bad news, i used to have one. great preamp! how has the sound changed?

i had a few krell pre's the KRC-HR being by far the best. there was a brand new one for sale in portugal a while back. boxed and never been use i believe.

I owned the KRC-HR as well and thought it to be an exceptional pre amp

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
yes, anyone reading this who is looking for a second hand pre, the KRC-HR is well worth looking into. its not fancy, it does not throw a huge 3d soundstage but its well sorted in every other respect. there are a lot of crapy pre amps out there, regardless of cost. i loved my KRC-HR, loads better than the standard KRC that i also owned and a great step up from the rather poor imo KAV pre amps. its the step off point for krell before they got obsessed by the CAST system that just seemed to add cost but no musical benefits imo.

i used mine with a few amps but it paired well with the KRELL KAV 250a amp, though i later upgraded that for a FPB200c but to be honest i am not too sure it was worth it. the KAV amps were good but the KAV preamp and KAV CDP were not for me. the real krell CDP 20il and the 25sc are beyond great, but when they go wrong your a bit screwed.. as i found out. i had my 20il plugged into a KAV amp, great combo. much better than most of my kit that preceded it that happened to cost a lot lot more.

bit off topic there, sorry about that.

if you can't get your Krell right the Belles pre amp i use seems to follow the same spirit but its a bit better imo.Belles LA 01. they are great value new or used. similar presentation, just more speed, balls and transparency. it drives amps hard so better make sure what your using can take it.

deoxit the volume pot on your krell, that helps a lot.

again i am sorry for your woes, we have all been there... i feel your pain:(

you should be able to find the circuit diagrams online.. schematics.

Last edited:

wsill

Oct 3, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Smokin Joe,

Hello. I currently have a KRELL KRC-HR that I am not using.
What do you need ?
Bill

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
I compared it to my Bel Canto DAC3 as a pre and it was similar.
I could have the volume at 100% and it still wasn't at the levels it use to be at 50%.
My new tech is interested to know the power supply output voltage amongst a few other things.
Cant seem to find anything online about it.
Cheers

wsill

Oct 3, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi Joe,
I sent you a pm with the measurements just now.
Bill

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Thanks to William the Krell has been repaired to its former glory.
Thanks very much mate, the beer is on me when you visit Australia. :D

wsill

Oct 3, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Joe,

I am thrilled for you. I'm happy your tech worked out the issues. The KRC-HR is still an amazing preamp; quiet, clean clear highs, no bass bloat...

Enjoy...
Someday I'm going down-under and will look you up.
Bill

stereotype

Jun 13, 2016
Frankfurt / Germany
audio-monster.de
Hi Joe,
I sent you a pm with the measurements just now.
Bill
Hello Bill,
i recently bought a running but (part) defect Krell FPB-600 and a defect KRELL KRC-HR. The Problem is as described in the Krell-KRC-HR-Owners-Reference with the protection circuitry and the flashing LEDs. My Tech needs also more Infos to hopefully fix the Problem. It would be funtastic if you can send me more infos.
Same Problem as Smokin' Joe ;) (My new tech is interested to know the power supply output voltage amongst a few other things.
Cant seem to find anything online about it.) The Beer in Frankfurt is also cold for you :)

Best Regards from Germany
Thomas

Attachments

• k-DSC07753.JPG
    k-DSC07753.JPG
    524.5 KB · Views: 13
  • k-DSC07764.JPG
    k-DSC07764.JPG
    594.6 KB · Views: 13

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing