A remarkable Redbook CD afternoon at Goodwin's High End

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yesterday I was with Peter A. at Goodwin's High End in Waltham, MA, to compare two DACs, the Berkeley Reference DAC and the dCS Rossini DAC, with Paul as great host. The source in the set-up was either of the two DACs fed by the Simaudio CD transport (the same as I have). Amplification was Spectral DMC-30 SV pre-amp and Spectral DMA-300 RS amp, and speakers were Magico Q1 monitors. All source material was just plain Redbook 16/44.1 CD, and what we heard made for a remarkable experience.

We started with the dCS Rossini DAC and an early Beethoven string quartet, op. 18/3 (first Emerson Quartet /DGG, then Tokyo Quartet/Harmonia Mundi). Immediately obvious was the different tone from what I was used to on my system, with a Berkeley Alpha DAC 2 as a source. The string instruments sounded more wooden, and there was more resolution. It just was a more natural sound from the start. Then I wanted to try a recording that I thought was more problematic, Bartok's violin sonatas with Gidon Kremer/Iuri Smirnow on Hungaroton. The violin tone on this ADD recording put on CD in 1986 (!) had never sounded quite right on my system. Yet also here we were surprised by the wooden tone of the violin and the convincing sound of the piano, and the resolution of string tone seemed extraordinary. So much micro-vibration from the bow gliding over the strings, and a rosiny tone as well. It was reminiscent of a very good violin recording on vinyl. Peter and I agreed on the good sound, and I could not believe that it came from this early CD on a label that is not particularly known for sound quality. We then played a few tracks from a Chesky CD that Peter brought, and they sounded all very good. I will let Peter comment on that in more detail.

We then switched to the Berkeley Reference DAC. It also sounded remarkably good, and there was a wooden character to the string tone as well. Yet while the resolution of this DAC also was high, it seemed just a bit less compared to the Rossini DAC. Also, unlike with the Rossini DAC, there still seemed to be a slight digital edge to transients, even though really minor compared to more common digital playback. In absolute terms it was still outstanding, but there just was not quite the remarkable freedom from digital artifacts that we experienced with the dCS Rossini. Peter commented that listening to the Rossini simply did not induce any fatigue, like good vinyl playback and unlike most digital playback as he experienced it. We also found that the sound had more body with the Rossini DAC, e.g., on the piano in the Bartok violin sonatas. The comparison of the Chesky tracks on both DACs also went slightly in favor of the Rossini, including the more 'fleshy' sound of the finger snapping on the Kenny Rankin song. Dynamics of both DACs were outstanding.

Back to the Rossini, I tried a few tracks from John Coltrane's 'Trane's Blues'', and while the age of the recordings on the album showed, the saxophone sounded better than I had heard before, yet still not quite right. To me, the tone of saxophone had always been the most problematic aspect of sound on digital compared to analog, where on a good vinyl recording/pressing, played back on a great analog set-up, it just sounds so much more convincing and natural. Yet then came the killer: we listened to a modern avantgarde jazz recording (Positive Catastrophe/Dibrujo, Dibrujo, Dibrujo...) which had the best sax sound on CD that I knew but which still had not sounded quite right thus far, on my system. Now both Peter and I found it very convincing -- it was like a revelation of what digital really could do. Finally there was the full-bodied tone from tenor and baritone sax, and a great reproduction of the raspy and breathy sax timbre. Now I felt for the first time that digital had closed in on vinyl in this respect; in fact, my jaw dropped when I heard that sax sound. I had been afraid that there might be something wrong with digital, even though I was convinced that digital theory, with the original information kept intact through the sampling process, in principle was correct. Yet now finally I heard the proof. Digital had come home and showed that it was missing nothing compared to great analog: the body, density and integrity of tone was all there, and the timbral resolution was as well. Peter who listens only to analog at home seemed to agree with me. And keep in mind, there was no hi-res involved, all these goodies came from plain 16/44.1 Redbook CD! Yes, perhaps in a few details great analog may still be superior to digital in direct comparison, but there just was not this chasm anymore between great analog and most of the digital that we had experienced. It was at least very close between great vinyl and digital over the dCS Rossini, so close that it just did not seem to matter anymore in a significant way. Good news for me, since I have only digital at home, and a lot of the music I listen to is only available on digital and more specifically, on Redbook CD.

What we heard was a confirmation of what we first experienced with the quality of digital playback on the dCS Vivaldi (also just 44.1 kHz digital, over Redbook CD or HDCD) at the demo of the Magico S7 speakers at Goodwin's in December, but now with musical material that simply left no doubt anymore.

The naturalness of sound through the dCS Rossini was really stunning. Importantly, it was not achieved through any smoothing of sound. While the tone of string quartets, due to the lack of artifacts, sounded much more 'well-behaved', in a good way, than I had ever heard before from digital, there was also a lot more of rough 'shredding' of sound through the cornet (a sister of the trumpet) than I had heard before on that great jazz recording. All the natural timbre of instruments simply came through to a much greater extent, and reminded me much more of live music.

Peter and I then also listened to some orchestral music, Beethoven's Eroica symphony with Herbert Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dresden on the budget label Brilliant Classics (!). Fifteen years ago I had bought the 5-CD set of all nine symphonies for $ 21.95 (that was way before CD-box sets tended to be cheap), and while I had always loved the interpretations, at first the sound had been rather bad on my system. After each upgrade the sound remarkably improved until currently it is really good on my system. Yet not as good as we heard over the dCS Rossini/Spectral/Magico Q1 system at Goodwin's. The resolution and naturalness of string tone, especially the violin and cello sections, was quite spectacular, and I could not believe the resolution of the brass either. And all that from basically a cheap run-of-the-mill CD.

The one thing that Peter was missing, and he was right on that, was convincing presence of sound. Yet in my room that is much larger and has better acoustics I can achieve very good presence and palpability from digital, and personally I am not concerned that this could not be achieved with the dCS Rossini as well. Soundstage depth was also lacking, but also this is probably more a function of the room than of anything else.

After some time Peter had to leave, and I listened to some more music, including more orchestral material. Where previously sometimes the sound of the violin section had been too thin, over the dCS Rossini it was just right. I also listened to some triangle sounds. Peter had pointed out at the session in December, where we had heard the dCS Vivaldi, how convincing triangles sounded, much better than he and I had heard so far from digital, and I had been afraid that this, among other aspects of sound, might have been partially due to the fact that these were on HDCD rather than on Redbook CD. Yet now my worries subsided: triangles, including their fragile decay, also sounded very convincing on plain Redbook CD over the dCS Rossini.

I also played around a bit more with comparisons between the Berkeley Reference and the dCS Rossini DAC. The saxophone sound on the recording that had sounded so good on the Rossini was also very good on the Berkeley, but just did not quite have the body and utter naturalness of tone. I would say that the Berkeley Reference DAC is outstanding in its own right, with a really impressive performance for the price -- and certainly on a much higher level of naturalness of tone and resolution than I had heard from usual digital, including mine, thus far. Yet as good as the Berkeley was, the dCS Rossini was just that decisive bit better. It had even more resolution and body, and the naturalness and density of tone seemed to be as good as that of great analog. Yes, the extra step in quality comes at a price ($ 24K vs. $ 16K), but after hearing the dCS Rossini performance, that upgrade is the only one that I can envision for my digital. It might be that my system does not allow for all the extra resolution to shine through in full, but just the convincing tone of the dCS Rossini, in combination with certainly more resolution through my system than what I now have, seems worth the price. I'll have to save up for the purchase. I want to have the Rossini Player with its internal CD transport; as fantastic as the sound was from my Simaudio transport through the Rossini DAC, the integrated player should raise the performance even more.

Of course the dCS Rossini (DAC or Player) also does all other digital formats, files, high-res PCM, and DSD, as well as live streaming. It also has a pre-amp function which we did not use, however, since Spectral amps are meant to be driven by their own pre-amp.

As for the Spectral gear and the Magico Q1 speakers, I was impressed with the purity and remarkable naturalness of tone, the body of sound, and the enormous resolution, without all of which of course the great quality of the two DACs would have been less apparent. I would have to see how resolving my system is with the dCS Rossini as source, but if it is lacking, the only upgrade path that I would want to entertain at this point is with Spectral and Magico. Spectral amps first convinced me when I had the DMC-15SS pre/DMA-260 amp combo in my system, and other experiences including this one have convinced me even more of naturalness of tone, resolution and dynamics of these amps (and relative to their stellar performance, the price of Spectral amps is rather on the modest side). I have had great experiences so far with four Magico speakers, the Mini II in Peter A.'s system, the M Project in Madfloyd's system (both of these experiences have been extensive, and the M Project is the best speaker that I have heard so far), the S7 at the Goodwin's demo, and now the Q1. Since I am a monitor guy, the Q1 would be the way to go for me. Great that Goodwin's has chosen Spectral and Magico as a major focus in their product line.

Many thanks to Goodwin's High End for the opportunity. I had hoped that the dCS Rossini would go in the right direction, but what we heard through that system went beyond my wildest dreams.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
While I have not had the pleasure of auditioning these 2 DACs together I have the same experiences every day when sit down and listen to my Schiit Ladder DAC. A completely non fatiguing sound, smooth, detailed, airy, three dimensional. These are exciting times in digital playback. There is a lot more on those old CDs than we thought.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the report Al. I am going to queue up your music selections on my system and check them out!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks for the report Al. I am going to queue up your music selections on my system and check them out!

You're welcome, Amir. Yes, I thought you'd appreciate mentioning the music played. Beware of that free-jazz CD...hey, you might like it. It even has salsa on it -- with a twist of course ;)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What a awesome review. Appreciate you and Peter taking the time and especially relating it the music. My dealer is getting his Rossini player and clock tomorrow...I'm sure I'll get to hear it soon. He has a Scarlatti stack now...

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Hi Al
Thanks for the write up - really enjoyed the read. Sounds like you two had a brilliant time of it. Makes you realise how much information there actually is on red book, and what can be done with it at that level.

To me, the tone of saxophone had always been the most problematic aspect of sound on digital compared to analog, where on a good vinyl recording/pressing, played back on a great analog set-up, it just sounds so much more convincing and natural

Amen - I would add to that strings, piano and voice. Especially mezzo.

Cheers

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Appreciate the post Al. My Rossini DAC and clock arrived yesterday. I am out of town the rest of this week but looking forward to setting up in my system next week. I will primarily use the UPnP input to access my digital files along with using Tidal

I do have the Vivaldi stack in my main system (sans transport) and also look forward to comparing the two

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I very much enjoyed your OP Al, and for my part I am planning to have an Rossini and clock on home demo shortly.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ladder DACs always win when it comes to sound quality, that "rightness", at least that's been my preference for many years now. And I do like my vinyl a lot :)

cheers,
alex

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Hi Al,

Thanks for your informative report!

May I assume that you did not use a computer as a source, exclusively playing RBCDs through USB?

This was great info, though I would like to know if the results carried forward when the Berkeley USB converter is in the system.

IME, the DAC not being used in a comparison needs to be powered up AND processing some signal, so that when the change-over is made, there is little to no loss in ability for a DAC to recover as quickly as the competition. So my own observations usually have been general in nature, certainly not as exacting as I would like.

When I owned the dCS stack a few years ago, I loved it. But I tried not to have it powered down for more than a minute or so if possible. Probably the fault of OCD, rather than DAC...

I always thought it was about thermal stability for the digital circuitry, not the DAC's line stage.

Two more quick questions - was any upsampling being used, and did you choose a specific filter set?

Thanks again to you and Peter!!!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Al,
That was a wonderful report. May I ask, how were the DACs hooked up to the Simaudio transport? Was it the same connection that was removed and hooked up to different DACs as necessary or were there different two different connectors with each DAC hooked up to preamp so you could simply throw a source switch on the Spectral to make the change?
Marty

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
As I sit down to write my thoughts on what turned out to be somewhat of a revelatory experience, I am changing liquids while cleaning LPs on my Loricraft record cleaning machine. It is ironic because, as an analog only guy, I would like to share my views on the Rossini and Berkeley Ref DACs. For years I have been reading and hearing reports about how good current digital sounds. Until last December and again two days ago, I had been very much unconvinced.

I would like to follow up on Al M.’s excellent report about our recent DAC audition at Goodwin’s High End. As many know, Al is a digital only guy, and I listen only to analog in my system. So, we come from different perspectives, but we share a love of music and the obsession to try to recreate, in our listening rooms, a semblance of what we hear from live acoustic music.

Last December, fellow members Al M., MadFloyd, Ack and I went to a demo of the Magico S7 driven by Spectral gear playing disks on the dCS Vivaldi stack. That was the first time that I had ever heard in my life digital sound like real music. It was a very interesting afternoon and, I think, it inspired Al to make the appointment to hear the more affordable dCS Rossini DAC. He asked me to join him and to share my thoughts.

I have always heard a slightly dry, mechanical presentation from digital. Most of the digital that I have heard has produced a high frequency distortion to which I am quite sensitive. I often become fatigued and usually lose interest pretty quickly. In the rare instance when this has not been the case, I think it is because the DAC is voiced to sound warm or “analog like”, or the system has tubes or some other distortions that mask what I hear as a typically harsh digital sonic signature. I heard none of this with the Vivaldi or more recently with the Rossini DAC. In fact, I think I more clearly heard the capability of the Rossini with the Magico Q1/Spectral than I did of the Vivaldi with the Magico S7, because I actually think the Q1 is more transparent than the S7, but that is a discussion for another time.

The system in which we auditioned the Rossini and the Berkeley Ref DAC was so transparent, that we could easily hear the differences between these two DACs. There are two primary areas for which I listen when comparing source components and when trying to ascertain if they sound like real music:

1. Resolution. How much does the component extract from the LP grooves, the CD pits, or the file data?
2. Naturalness. How complete and continuous is the rendition of the musical note?

Resolution is one area that I had always heard good analog to be superior to digital. The Rossini had an incredible amount of resolution, rivaling really good analog, and yet it sounded very smooth and relaxed. String tones, vocals, piano, drums, horns, I heard more detail than I had ever heard from digital before, but with absolutely no harshness, glare, etch, or digital artifacts. There was no fatigue. The instruments were separate in space, with lots of air. Hall sounds were very evident and clearly defined the recording venue. What also struck me was just how natural the sound was. The Rossini presented the notes completely, not emphasizing the transients, or the harmonics, but the whole note, from beginning to end, was heard in a continuous and balanced way. The note’s attack was dynamic and impactful, the fundamental were accurate with beautiful harmonic and a natural decay.

The Rossini was superb in these two critical areas. The Berkeley Reference DAC did not fair as well. I am familiar with both Al’s and Ack’s Berkeley Alpha DACs, so I was interested in hearing this new version, especially since I have read so many nice reviews. Well, it did have a great deal of resolution, though not as much as the Rossini, and certainly not as much as the good analog that I have heard. But, what was really strange was how it reproduced the notes. It did not sound natural, but rather artificial. As I mentioned earlier, the system was so transparent, that I was able to hear what I think is a fundamental flaw with this DAC. I do not hear this issue in Al’s or Ack’s system and I have not identified this sonic anomaly in any digital player before. The notes were neither complete nor continuous. I heard an emphasis on the leading edge, or transient of the note, and then a strange discontinuity immediately afterward around the fundamental, then pretty good harmonics, though not fully developed, and then a truncated decay. This gave the initial impression of good detail, but it was an exaggeration, a distortion, and it could not be ignored once heard. It was fairly subtle, but I heard it in all the music we played. Again, this was a testament to just how transparent the Spectral/Q1 combination is.

In addition to what Al brought to hear, I brought one CD from my small collection: “Best of Chesky Jazz and more Audiophile tests, Volume 2.” We repeatedly played Kenny Rankin, “Always”, and test tracks #43 “Dynamic Drum Test, and #44 “Bass Resonance Test”. I have used these superb recordings for digital system evaluation for years. Rankin’s voice and finger snaps sounded very natural. Quick fingers with fleshy palm and natural echo in the room. His voice had all the nuance of what we hear live. Very revealing of the quality of the reproduction. The drum test was also informative. The cymbals were metallic, distinct and clear with the Rossini, but they were a bit whitish and splashy with the Berkeley. The drum skins were detailed and taut and the bass was impactful with the Rossini, while the Berkeley just sounded a bit artificial. The timbre was not as accurate. With the bass test, the Rossini had all the nuance and beautiful balance of string, bow and wooden body while the Berkeley emphasized the plucking but did not quite reproduce all of the different tonal colors of the strings resonating with the wood. And there was less air and hall information in the rather live acoustic.

I was mesmerized by the Rossini, but I thought the Berkeley was just good digital that I had heard before. The Rossini sounded much more real and approached the good analog that I know so well.

I want to write a bit about my recent thinking of what component is responsible for what aspect of a sonic impression. I think that the source components are basically responsible for extracting the recorded information. The electronics and speakers present that information. The less distortion the better. The set up or relationship between the listener, the speakers, and the room recreate, or destroy, the sense of presence, dimensionality, scale and palpability of the performance.

At Goodwin’s, Al and I heard what great digital is capable of. The information retrieval was of the highest order. And, as was said before, this was just redbook CD. The electronics, cables and speakers presented that superb resolution in a very transparent and believable way. The system fell short in the area of Presence. The sound staging, three dimensionality, or palpability were not at the same level as the resolution and overall natural timbre and tone. Al’s system has superb presence, and I’m sure the lack of it during the demo was not an issue with the DAC, but rather due to the room or set up.

Thank you Al for asking me to join you for this incredible demonstration. Goodwin’s High End was extremely accommodating and generous with their time. It is a great place to do such direct comparisons. I learned a lot and have a completely newfound respect for what is possible with digital playback. I was very pleasantly surprised and now know what digital is capable of sounding like. It was a great afternoon and it has changed the way I think about audio in general, and digital in particular.

These are the thoughts of an analog only guy about the best digital that I have ever heard. It has really changed my thinking about the whole analog/digital divide. I am now really curious about what a direct comparison of this Rossini DAC to my SME turntable would tell me. Now, during the writing of this follow up report, I have successfully cleaned two LPs, which I sold twenty five years ago, only to buy again last weekend at a recently opened record store in Birmingham, MI: a used copy of Deep Purple’s compilation album, “Purple Passages”, and a new deluxe reissue of Black Sabbath’s first album recently pressed by Quality Record. Time to listen to some music less critically and just for the fun of it . “Hush” and “N.I.B.” here I come. Bach’s Cello Suites can wait for another time.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thank you all!

May I assume that you did not use a computer as a source, exclusively playing RBCDs through USB?

This was great info, though I would like to know if the results carried forward when the Berkeley USB converter is in the system.

It was all spinning CDs from a Simaudio transport, no files involved. The connection was AES/EBU since this is commonly viewed as a superior connection (Baetis servers are also typically hooked up via their AES/EBU output, as far as my understanding goes).

IME, the DAC not being used in a comparison needs to be powered up AND processing some signal, so that when the change-over is made, there is little to no loss in ability for a DAC to recover as quickly as the competition. So my own observations usually have been general in nature, certainly not as exacting as I would like.

In my experience the important thing is that the DAC is always powered on; even stand-by mode is sufficient. This is necessary to keep all internal components at equilibrium temperature. Being powered on was the case at all times with both DACs.

My experience is not that a DAC needs to process signal all the time. However, starting from cold is a no-no. Also just an hour warm-up may not be sufficient, for some DACs it seems to be, but not generally so. If I compare DACs, I leave them first powered on at least overnight.

I have heard DACs sounding horrible from cold. I don't take any comparisons of cold DACs seriously. And I have heard some DACs still sound disturbingly sub-par after just an hour warm-up.

As far as I know, at Goodwins all DACs are always powered on, they have a rack with power connections for all the equipment that needs it. Good move, it shouldn't be any other way.

Two more quick questions - was any upsampling being used, and did you choose a specific filter set?

To be honest, I don't know the filter setting. I do think that upsampling is default.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al,
May I ask, how were the DACs hooked up to the Simaudio transport? Was it the same connection that was removed and hooked up to different DACs as necessary or were there different two different connectors with each DAC hooked up to preamp so you could simply throw a source switch on the Spectral to make the change?
Marty

It was the former.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
As a general rule of thumb, people advise that digital equipment NOT share a ground connection with other equipment. I am of the same opinion, and it's more than an opinion - I have experimented heavily with lifting the ground on my Alpha DAC, and at the end of the day there are a couple of data points:

1) My phono picks up a little bit of hum (with the preamp volume maxed out) from the Alpha and its ground connection, and it goes away when I lift the Alpha DAC's ground
2) The phono sounds a little better with the DAC's ground lifted
3) The DAC itself sounds sizably better with its ground lifted, and more than that, I star-ground to the preamp by lifting everybody else's ground (sort of what the Entreq folks are indirectly doing, w/o the cat litter and magic dust which is not necessary). Unfortunately, I have not demonstrated to you guys the benefits of this preamp-star grounding.

To get to the point: always audition a DAC or CD Player with and without its ground, or at least inquire about it. Based on my experience, the Berkeley Reference stands a chance to sound better than what you guys described. Having said that, my guess is the Rossini is still a better DAC, and I'd be curious how it sounds with its ground lifted, if it wasn't.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Taken together, these were an extremely valuable set of reports. Having alignment from an analog guy and a digital guy is impressive indeed. The knowledge and experience of Al and Peter were readily apparent, as was the clarity of their comments and that's what made their joint reports so useful. And no surprise Paul and Goodwin's shined as they usually do (they are my Spectral dealer as well). Thanks guys.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
We all benefit when Al M and PeterA so eloquently convey their impressions. They are both careful listeners and skilled writers.

I would love to hear the Rossini in my system; there is a good chance it will be my next DAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing