Visit to Gryphon Audio Designs / Pendragon Review

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gryphon Pendragon.jpg

INTRODUCTION

My wife and I planned a trip to Denmark for the purpose of auditioning the Gryphon Audio Designs Pendragon loudspeaker system. I had been anticipating with excitement this audition for so long that I could barely get to sleep the night before it!

My wife and I traveled from London to Billund Airport in the Western part of Denmark. We stayed two nights in Aarhus, the second largest city in Denmark, but far smaller than Copenhagen. On our third day in Denmark we took a train from Aarhus to Ry, an upscale and bucolic small town about half an hour West of Aarhus. Upon seeing how beautiful Ry is we immediately regretted staying in Aarhus.

Ry is the location of Gryphon Audio Designs, the designer and manufacturer of the Pendragon loudspeaker system.

GRYPHON AUDIO DESIGNS

Flemming Rasmussen, the founder and CEO of Gryphon Audio Designs, met us at the door with a warm, friendly and very welcoming demeanor. With professional backgrounds in painting, photography, design, marketing and high-end audio, as well as in business, Flemming is truly a Renaissance man.

Rune Skov, Gryphon's new Sales Manager, Europe, as of four months ago, was equally warm and inviting and already extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about each of the Gryphon products. Rune most recently spent four years marketing Nordost products around the world. He feels honored to be working now with a company of Gryphon's longevity, diversified product line and reputation. Rune generously performed the LP playing duties during our audition.

Gryphon operates out of two contemporary-style buildings in Ry. The main building is painted in Gryphon's signature colors of black with red trim.

Flemming gave us a tour of the company. Inside the offices are very modern. Sports-type motorcycles are parked inside, near a kitchen on the ground floor. Several component testing rooms and a large workspace area where the Pendragon is assembled also are on the ground floor. These testing and assembly areas look clean and well-organized.

Flemming's photographs adorn the walls of the staircase leading upstairs. Numerous awards honoring Gryphon products line the hallway on the second floor.

The main listening room now doubles as Rune's office. In this room Flemming showed us the Gryphon product museum, a collection of every single product Gryphon has ever made, including an example of the original phono cartridge amplifier on the back of which Flemming founded Gryphon.

GRYPHON PENDRAGON

The Gryphon Pendragon is a four column speaker system with a woofer tower consisting of eight 8" drivers in a heroically heavy cabinet, and a separate midrange/tweeter panel consisting of a two meter tall, full-range ribbon used as a midrange driver and four air motion tweeters operating from 18 kHz to 40 kHz. Flemming says the tweeters provide frequency extension, openness and "air." The cone drivers in the woofer tower are custom made for Gryphon to Flemming's specifications and are powered by a Gryphon Class AB 1,000 watt continuous/4,000 watt peak amplifier designed specifically for this purpose.

Flemming learned from his friend and Gryphon loudspeaker design collaborator, Steen Dueland, to make crossovers as simple as possible and to keep crossover networks in constant phase. Dueland believed that "all drivers must be in phase at all times and at all frequencies." The Pendragon expresses these principles by having a relatively simple crossover from the ribbon driver to the woofer tower; by dispensing with the need for phase adjustment in the crossover electronics; and by not having any crossover between the midrange ribbon and the tweeters (the ribbon is allowed simply to roll off naturally).

The panels were driven by a Gryphon Mephisto stereo amplifier. The turntable was a new Bergmann turntable with an integrated, air-bearing, linear-tracking tonearm. The cartridge was an old Kiseki -- I think Flemming said it was a Lapis Lazuli. The cables were all Gryphon products.

The Gryphon listening room is about 30 feet wide by about 40 feet long by about 10 feet high. Except for some sound absorbing-looking tiles on the ceiling, wall-to-wall carpet, a couple of acoustic panels on the front wall behind each speaker and what looked like an Acoustic Science Corporation half-round on the inside of the door to the room, there was no other formal acoustic treatment.

Flemming believes in the rule of thirds for initial speaker and listening position placement. The room is divided into thirds -- with the speakers located at the first line, one-third of the way into the room from the front wall, and the listening position located at the second line. The woofer tower and the midrange/tweeter panel for each channel are positioned on a curve, such that each piece is at the same radius distance to the listening position.

Flemming believes (as I do) in not absorbing the rear wave of dipole speakers. The ribbon panels and the center of the listening couch were arranged in an equilateral triangle configuration.

The construction quality and machining finish on the Pendragon look fantastic. Flemming's perfectionism about design and materials quality and cosmetic quality is very much in evidence on the Pendragon. The Pendragon is assembled entirely by one Gryphon employee at Gryphon's main office.

I asked Flemming what is the purpose of the long, thin rubber strings running vertically down the towers and over the drivers. Flemming said the strings are to remind people not to touch the drivers. He said the distance between the strings is very wide to avoid any smearing effect.

We played:

"The Rose" by Amanda McBroom, Growing Up in Hollywood Town (Sheffield Lab 13)

"Send in the Clowns" by Bill Henderson, Live at the Times (Jazz Planet Records/Classic Records)

“Landslide” and “Rhiannon,” by Fleetwood Mac, Fleetwood Mac (MFSL)

"First We Take Manhattan" and "Bird on a Wire" by Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat (Rock the House Records/Classic Records) (I know this is a digital recording.)

”I've Got the Music in Me" by Thelma Houston, I've Got the Music in Me (Sheffield Lab 2)

"Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley

"Where the Wild Roses Grow" and "Stagger Lee" by Nick Cave, Murder Ballads

"Back in Black" by AC/DC, Back in Black

After we listened to music for about an hour and a half I asked if we could take a break and process what we heard so far. I will repeat here exactly what at that point I said to Flemming:

I am not saying this to brown-nose you -- it is the truth. If you were to give me a blank piece of paper and ask me to sketch out my theoretically ideal, dream speaker system it would be a four column design, with a woofer tower consisting of a number of vertically-arrayed cone drivers powered by a very high-power Class A or Class AB amplifier, and a midrange/tweeter panel consisting of a long ribbon driver or a big electrostatic driver in a heavy, non-resonant frame. The panel would cross over to the woofer tower at 200 Hz or higher.

So my dream speaker is either a purely hypothetical four column version of the MartinLogan Neolith, but with the 15" driver broken out from under the electrostatic panel and moved to a separate self-powered woofer tower with another two or three drivers (i.e., a Statement E3), or the existing (and made since 2013) Gryphon Pendragon.

I think Gary Koh believes that a crossover above about 100Hz is the wrong choice because it breaks up between the two drivers the frequency range covered by piano. Gary may very well be correct. I do not know. But I simply like the additional dynamic impact provided by having the woofer column play up to and a little above 200Hz.

During the audition, just out of curiosity, I moved to a chair just behind the center of the listening couch. This difference of only about two feet further back occasioned a different perspective. When seated in the center of the couch my wife and I both thought it sounded more like the sound was coming toward us and we were a bit immersed in the sound ("like the sound was hugging us," she said). Just two feet further back it sounded like we were a bit distant from a soundstage located distinctly in front of us.

Each of the loudspeakers I have auditioned on this odyssey is an amazing loudspeaker. I easily could live happily for the rest of my life with any of them. But these speakers do have significant differences in design. Sometimes they have differences in purpose. I hear subtle differences in their sonic attributes.

VERSUS GENESIS ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES 1.1

Gary has conscientiously designed his big Genesis speakers to sound good off-axis and to ameliorate the phenomenon of the "sweet spot,” which is a single listening seat dead center between the speakers at whatever distance to the speakers sounds best. I do not care about sound quality off-axis so for me the antidote to the sweet spot "problem" results in a sound which I personally find a bit too diffuse. (This diffuseness may very well represent more accurately the sound of live music, as Gary believes.) Good off-axis response just is not something I value.

Audiophiles and amplifier manufacturers may disagree on this but I just like the fact that the Pendragon woofer towers are driven by Class AB and not Class D amplification. The circuitry in the amplifiers in the woofer towers are essentially the same circuits incorporated in Gryphon's standalone, Class A, solid-state amplifiers.

I think Flemming's eight 8" drivers per woofer tower sound "tighter" and "faster" than the six 12" drivers per woofer tower in the Genesis 1.1. (Please keep in mind that Gary significantly revised the 1.1 with the 1.2 version and then the Dragon model, and these revised designs incorporate twelve 12" drivers per tower, so my comments may not apply to the current Genesis models.) If one listens primarily to symphony orchestra music maybe the big bore drivers of the Genesis woofer towers would have more visceral impact than, and therefore be preferred to, the smaller drivers of the Pendragon woofer towers.

I personally think the design of the Pendragon woofer tower is ideal. I like the design brief of a large number of relatively small drivers powered by a purpose-specific, Class AB amplifier with enormous power and headroom.

The Genesis system is a very complex design with many drivers and crossovers and outboard amplifiers and cables. I appreciate that the Pendragon gets to substantially the same place, but takes a materially simpler design path to get there.

I was not conscious of any discontinuity or lack of a seamless blend between the midrange/tweeter panel and the woofer tower of the Genesis 1.1 I heard in Audiocrack's home. Yet, after hearing the Pendragon, somehow the Pendragon sounded more coherent to me than I remember from the Genesis. With the Pendragon I know I heard no discontinuity whatsoever between the midrange/tweeter panel and the woofer tower.

Not in comparison to the Genesis but just about the Pendragon itself my wife said that she could not distinguish sound coming from the panel versus sound coming from the woofer tower. She agreed that the sound coming from each channel was truly and effortlessly blended together into a seamless experience.

VERSUS MARTINLOGAN NEOLITH

To my ears the MartinLogan electrostatic panel is a smidgen more transparent on female vocals than the ribbon drivers in the Analysis Audio Omega, the Genesis 1.1 or the Pendragon. I confirm with my audition of the Pendragon that while I give up a smidgen of transparency going from the electrostatic panel of the Neolith to the ribbon driver of the Analysis Audio or the Genesis 1.1 or the Pendragon, I think that slight loss of transparency is more than made up by an increase in "weight" and corporeal body in the midrange of the ribbon driver versus the electrostatic driver.

There seems to be some reason why it's a little bit easier to blend a ribbon driver with a woofer tower than it is to blend an electrostatic panel with a woofer tower. I assume this is because an electrostatic panel is, indeed, a bit faster theoretically and a bit more transparent sonically than the ribbon driver and, therefore, is even more difficult to blend with a woofer tower.

I have always liked the very precise and clearly delineated solo vocalist image of MartinLogan speakers. However, listening to live music has taught me that that a clearly defined and delineated solo vocalist image is not true-to-life.

The delineation of the image of a solo vocalist on the Pendragon was somewhere between that of the Neolith and that of the Genesis. The solo vocalist imaging of the Pendragon was more diffuse than that of the Neolith but less diffuse than that of the Genesis. I think the Pendragon's image and delineation of a solo vocalist is ideal and realistic.

The mere vertical height of the Genesis and the Arrakis and the Pendragon provides a scale and a greater sonic realism of soundstage height and size which cannot be matched by shorter speakers. Even the relatively tall Neolith does not have quite the same scale and grandeur of the other three loudspeakers. It is easier to suspend disbelief with the Rockport Arrakis than with the sonically very similar, but half the height, Rockport Altair II.

If all you ever listen to is vocals and chamber music, then, out of this exalted group of loudspeakers, the Neolith may be the correct answer for you, as it almost is for me. But for big rock and symphony orchestra music the single 12" lower midrange driver and the single 15" woofer in the Neolith simply cannot compete with eight 8" woofers driven by a dedicated 1,000 watt amplifier. Versus the Pendragon the bass of the Neolith is not as extended, well-defined or "tight."

I think the 15" driver is the weak link in the ultra-transparent flagship from MartinLogan. I could happily live with the Neolith for rest of my life. But to do so I would have to resign myself to knowing that while its reproduction from arguably 100 Hz and up (and certainly from 400 Hz and up) is state-of-the-art, its reproduction from 100 Hz and below, while without doubt the best MartinLogan can do in a one-column format, is not state-of-the-art. As impressive and successful as the Neolith is for an all-out assault on the one-column format there just is too much going on in the bottom of the Neolith cabinet to be considered an ultimate expression of ESL hybrid design.

VERSUS ROCKPORT ARRAKIS

The Rockport Arrakis is supremely coherent. It's tonal balance sounds perfect to me. Its dynamics are amazing. With that speaker you stop thinking about audiophile stuff and just listen to, and enjoy, the music. Versus the dipole speakers I think the Arrakis is one or two smidgeons of transparency behind the Neolith, and maybe one smidgen of transparency behind the ribbon speakers.

There is also the issue that I am simply, by nature, a panel guy. This is unfair to any dynamic driver speaker system. Some people are panel people and some people are not panel people, and a panel person is almost always going to prefer a dipole design over any conventional dynamic driver system. With respect to the Arrakis I might be, to some extent, mistaking the openness of dipoles for transparency. If I were not a panel person I without doubt would buy the Arrakis.

The Arrakis -- which likely has the most inert cabinet of any dynamic driver speaker in the world -- aside, I think a state-of-the-art speaker requires a four column design. Separating out the reproduction of bass frequencies from the midrange and treble drivers is, I think, a requirement to achieving a true, state-of-the-art result. The theoretical and practical, audible benefits of a separate woofer tower to move a large volume of air for low frequency power and extension (without resorting to equalization), and which avoids exciting with vibration the midrange and treble drivers, cannot be denied. Of course such a design (e.g., the Genesis 1.2 and Dragon, the Evolution Acoustics MM7, the MartinLogan Statement E2, the Verity Monsalvat, the MBL X-Treme, the Pendragon) carries downsides in size, complexity, cost and, possibly, multiple amplifiers.

THE VERDICT

The differences I believe I hear among the loudspeakers I have auditioned are subtle and subjective. For my listening room, and the sonic preferences and listening biases I have, and the kinds of music I typically listen to, the Pendragon is the best speaker system I have ever heard in my life.

After a hot, wild affair one weekend last May at the T.H.E. Show in Irvine with the MBL 101E Mk. II, and despite amazing dates with the Neolith, the Arrakis and the Genesis 1.1, and a brief flirtation with the Analysis Audio Omega, the Pendragon is the first speaker in 28 years which would seduce me away from, and cause me to divorce, my beloved MartinLogan electrostatic hybrid loudspeakers.

The Pendragon gives me everything I want in loudspeaker such as transparency, the tonal balance I like, dynamics, visceral impact, scale, natural detail without "over-etching" or fatiguing initial transients and realistically-sized images. This system is at least as good at performing each of these attributes as any other speaker I have ever heard. (The only caveat being, again, that I think I hear slightly greater transparency on female vocals with the Neolith.) During our audition I perceived from the Pendragon no negative characteristic to offset its collection of positive attributes.

This is the only speaker I have auditioned about which I do not say "I like this, this, this and this, but I wish that were different." The Pendragon is an actualization of my ideal, dream speaker design.

More than many audiophiles I also value a product produced by a company long in business and with a stellar reputation of quality and service. Gryphon has been owned continuously by Flemming and his partner, and Gryphon has been in business -- and thriving and growing -- for over thirty years. That gives a buyer a lot of comfort and peace of mind when considering a purchase of this level of cost and complexity.

Would there be a way to make up with an electrostatic panel the smidgen of transparency I lose with the ribbon driver without, also, losing the greater weight and corporeal body of the ribbon driver? We might learn the answer to that question only if MartinLogan designs and produces a Statement E3. I know that Martin Logan has thought about such a product, but it is on a very distant drawing board, if at all.

Until then, and probably even then, the Gryphon Pendragon is the speaker I would most like to have in my home for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask and sbo6

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great read Ron and good to see you converging on what you like to own. Is this the end of the journey or do you have more speakers to audition?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Bravo. A stupendously good read...detailed where you can chew on the review (i will definitely re-read this a few times), pointed in a respectful manner, complimentary in a measured manner...and forthright and honest in making speaker to speaker comparisons while always acknowledging the personal preferences. A model review for me.

Back to the speaker, congrats on making a thorough exploration of some of the world's finest speakers, which have taken you across continents to do. I am an enormous fan of Gryphon both publicly and privately. I must ask two questions:

1. Scale. In terms of sheer out and out scale, did you find that the Gryphon Pendragon seemed capable of matching that remarkable might and effortless wave of the Genesis 1.1s? Or the Arrakis which while smaller, still intuitively seemed to me to do scale in a way that i had never heard from the Focal Grande or XLF/X2 (not in shoot out but certainly have grown accustomed to the big Wilson is multiple rooms over the years)

2. Nuance of 'sweetness'. Sometimes, right or wrong, certain speaker can delivere a solo violin with such an intense, sweetness of tone that when it soars you really get a great semblance of listening to a soloist live. I dont know why some speakers can do it and others just have never delivered it when i have heard them...and it may even be an artifact. But i gravitate towards speakers that do this. The SF Guarneri, and some of the old Apogees can do this, so can the 2 big boys above (and more)...did you get this with the mighty Pendragon?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bravo. A stupendously good read...detailed where you can chew on the review (i will definitely re-read this a few times), pointed in a respectful manner, complimentary in a measured manner...and forthright and honest in making speaker to speaker comparisons while always acknowledging the personal preferences. A model review for me.

Back to the speaker, congrats on making a thorough exploration of some of the world's finest speakers, which have taken you across continents to do. I am an enormous fan of Gryphon both publicly and privately. I must ask two questions:

1. Scale. In terms of sheer out and out scale, did you find that the Gryphon Pendragon seemed capable of matching that remarkable might and effortless wave of the Genesis 1.1s? Or the Arrakis which while smaller, still intuitively seemed to me to do scale in a way that i had never heard from the Focal Grande or XLF/X2 (not in shoot out but certainly have grown accustomed to the big Wilson is multiple rooms over the years)

2. Nuance of 'sweetness'. Sometimes, right or wrong, certain speaker can delivere a solo violin with such an intense, sweetness of tone that when it soars you really get a great semblance of listening to a soloist live. I dont know why some speakers can do it and others just have never delivered it when i have heard them...and it may even be an artifact. But i gravitate towards speakers that do this. The SF Guarneri, and some of the old Apogees can do this, so can the 2 big boys above (and more)...did you get this with the mighty Pendragon?

Thank you very much, Lloyd. I am overjoyed that you like it!

1. Scale. Yes, I think the Pendragon matches the Genesis in scale. But matching "might," exactly? I do not think so.

But I am answering you based on design specs and not because I played cannons on the Genesis and the Pendragon, and compared them. The Genesis has six -- or twelve on the new models -- 12" woofers per side. That is a lot more surface area than eight 8" cones. Purely on the ability to move air, if the Pendragon is a .357 Sig, the Genesis is a .44 Magnum. But except for cannons I don't think it would matter much. And I really do believe (which is very different from saying I am correct) that the Pendragon woofer tower is faster, tighter and better-defined. I really did not feel that I would have to add a pair of JL Audio Gothams to the Pendragon.

Flemming respects the Infinity IRS V. I think with the Pendragon he tried to make his contemporary version of that four column concept.

2. Nuance of "sweetness." Flemming played some jazz and classical pieces. I heard violin that sounded real and wonderful to me. But I do not go to classical concerts often enough to gauge violin sweetness accurately.

On the Amanda McBroom I played the instrumental-only track of "You've Lost That Lov'in Feeling." I have played that track many, many times on different speakers. The piano sounded as good on the Pendragon as I have ever heard it.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you very much, Lloyd. I am overjoyed that you like it!

1. Scale. Yes, I think the Pendragon matches the Genesis in scale. But matching "might," exactly? I do not think so.

But I am answering you based on design specs and not because I played cannons on the Genesis and the Pendragon, and compared them. The Genesis has six -- or twelve on the new models -- 12" woofers per side. That is a lot more surface area than eight 8" cones. Purely on the ability to move air, if the Pendragon is a .357 Sig, the Genesis is a .44 Magnum. But except for cannons I don't think it would matter much. And I really do believe (which is very different from saying I am correct) that the Pendragon woofer tower is faster, tighter and better-defined. I really did not feel that I would have to add a pair of JL Audio Gothams to the Pendragon.

Flemming respects the Infinity IRS V. I think with the Pendragon he tried to make his contemporary version of that concept.

2. Nuance of "sweetness." Flemming played some jazz and classical pieces. I heard violin that sounded real and wonderful to me. But I do not go to classical concerts often enough to gauge violin sweetness accurately.

On the Amanda McBroom I played the instrumental-only track of "You've Lost That Lov'in Feeling." I have played that track many, many times on different speakers. The piano sounded as good on the Pendragon as I have ever heard it.

Awesome. Thanks.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Ron,

Great writing as usual. Wonderful experience, and hope you also got to enjoy other aspects of your trip as well!

Is it possible that the midrange differences you describe may have been (fully or partially) by the associated equipment? Which pair of speakers auditioned were heard in a room most similar to yours?

Lee

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Thank you Ron!
As good a read as anything I've seen on WBF since I joined.
I envy your patience and determination in the quest to find your speaker.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Wow!--Kudos indeed!-- Great write up Ron--and seems like your Nivrana is at hand---If I had discovered this 40 years ago I'd not be so $$ poor--but hell its a great journey:D

I know Flemming --one of Audios Gentleman --we were once hoping to go Black Marlin Fishing together--he is/was an avid Fisherman!

Good luck with your quest and please continue with the ongoing and hopefully it's joyous conclusion:)!

BruceD

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron, are you going to need to redesign your room for such a large speaker setup?

Tell me, is it funny that I most want bookshelf sized speakers? Don't get me wrong I'm always temped by larger speakers. However I started a design for the ultimate bookshelf speaker "stand" that may become a product at some point. Why? Because I like them so much. So I can certainly understand how you're simply drawn to towers. However we share an appreciation for any panel designed tweeter. Cones and domes aren't wrong but they are not my end preference.

The only thing wrong here is your preposterous hyperbole. Joke, actually I'm just going to say that you should have taken a few pictures with your phone or such.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
But can this Pendragon system be beat for 10k? That's what the forum really wants to know ;)

In all seriousness, did any of the large speaker systems you mention have the "8' male voice" or did they produce images of correct size. Also, do you plan to audition the EA MM7s?

Cheers- always a great read.

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Hi Ron
Thanks for a great write up. Very interesting and enjoyable read. The listening room you auditioned the speakers in seems cavernous. Is your listening room of similar size?

Now enough about the hi fi - where are some pictures of Ry?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, loved the writing style

That room is huuuge though. Gary in Vegas has a big room and you should listen to the Neolith there, not to mention he has a multichannel as well and is now going immersive in a few months

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

Great writing as usual. Wonderful experience, and hope you also got to enjoy other aspects of your trip as well!

Is it possible that the midrange differences you describe may have been (fully or partially) by the associated equipment? Which pair of speakers auditioned were heard in a room most similar to yours?

Lee

Dear Lee,

Thank you!

We know intellectually that the reality is that unless I listened to each of these speakers in the same listening room, with all associated equipment remaining constant (i.e., the only component changing being the speakers) I cannot truly be certain of anything or prove that the differences I hear are attributable to the speaker. Having written that, I do believe that I nonetheless can get a sense of things and somehow adjust for things subjectively and sort of listen through or past issues with the room or with other components.

For example, the turntable in the Arrakis system was a state-of-the-art set-up, but the room was very long and, according to the owner, not conducive to deep bass. I know the Arrakis has two 15" cones per side. Four 15" cones together move a lot of air. Did I think I was actually hearing the oomph of four 15" cones in that particular room? No, I did not. But I did not criticize the Arrakis for lacking deep bass. I just accounted, in that particular stereo system, for amazing LP playback on one hand, and suboptimal listening room for bass on the other, and arrived at a composite impression.

For example, I believe the weakest link in the Gryphon chain is Flemming's new turntable, from a very small Danish manufacturer. I cannot prove it but I have the sense that that turntable set-up just is not at the level of the rest of the system. Flemming mentioned the cartridge is old and possibly its suspension is dry. I think I did not hear that turntable capturing the level of detail which the turntable in the Arrakis system was capturing. Yet we know the Gryphon electronics, including a Class A amplifier on the panels, are very naturally detailed. So I accounted a bit for not having state-of-the-art detail from the turntable set-up.

It is axiomatic that unless I hear each speaker in the exact same system all observations and conclusions can be questioned. Nonetheless, I have been listening to systems since 1987. I believe that over time you just get a sense of things, and you develop a sense of how to account for differences in systems to sort of level the playing field and make accurate comparisons.

I believe that any of our WBF members who started with approximately my sonic preferences and listening biases, or at least calibrated his thinking/hearing to my declared sonic preferences and listening biases before auditioning these speakers, would agree with my statements and observations about each of these speakers. Putting it differently, someone who naturally likes panels would very likely agree with my reports on each of these speakers. Conversely, if someone naturally prefers near-field listening to mini-monitors, then I think there would be a lower correlation between my impressions and his impressions of these speakers.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron
Thanks for a great write up. Very interesting and enjoyable read. The listening room you auditioned the speakers in seems cavernous. Is your listening room of similar size?

Now enough about the hi fi - where are some pictures of Ry?

My listening room is 20' wide (instead of 30' wide), 25' long (instead of 40' long) and 14' high (instead of 10' high). Presently, my speakers and listening position are not in an equilateral triangle configuration. The distance from the midpoint of a line between the speakers to the listening position is longer than the distance between the speakers.

Interestingly, if I implemented the "rule of thirds" to my current listening room, I would actually be able to move the listening couch further away from the back wall.

A Pendragon owner with whom I am in contact (with a listening room slightly narrower than my room but slightly longer than my room) wrote to me that he agrees with the "rule of thirds" spacing for the Pendragon.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

To really produce great violin there are a few things that are a must for me - vinyl, a wide long room, ribbons are great for tone, and then the right electronics, which apart from tone, also produce that tremor and depth. Quads, Analysis, all have great violin tone with valves. In Marty's room, though Pipedreams don't have my favorite tone, I heard great violin, and he was using the TacT to set the frequency response with the Spectral. The WE 16A is an exception where a mono produces one of the best, if not the best violin tone due to it's metallic ring (the description of that might turn many off).

It is purely for violin and brass tone that I am going vinyl - digital just can't match it.

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
I really like to hear your comparison between Raidho D5 and the speakers you named.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I really like to hear your comparison between Raidho D5 and the speakers you named.

I have heard Raidho D5 with all Soluution and vivaldi stack and nordost odin. I didn't like it, not for me. I replaced Odin with Ansuz C because the guy had both and I was very impressed with the Ansuz but not the system.

Of course with your TT and valves it might sound different, but I would prefer your Aviors to those

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Hi Ron

Isn't that the holy grail? - cone speakers that have the speed, tone and air of ESL's/Panels but with weight? very difficult feat to pull off. It appears the Pendragon has done just that. Marvellous stuff.

I love the Gryphon amplifiers I have heard. Very natural. Terrific tone. I have never heard their loudspeakers.

My overall sense of your listening impressions is one of overall transparency and resolution, with terrific speed and extension. Given the rule of thirds favoured here, one assumes a larger listening space is prerequisite.

@Kadir - I agree with yoru views about vinyl. After my recent adventures with DSD, I have returned to vinyl, as my preferred playback medium. For no better reason than I find it more engaging. Which after all is what this hobby is all about.

Have a pleasant day gentleman.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@Kadir - I agree with yoru views about vinyl. After my recent adventures with DSD, I have returned to vinyl, as my preferred playback medium. For no better reason than I find it more engaging. Which after all is what this hobby is all about.

Kedar.

You need both, as vinyl can't do the dynamic range of Mahler. I haven't heard any LP come close to channel classics digital on Mahler. In fact LP has been poor over there. For violin concertos etc, no doubt LP rules

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, are you going to need to redesign your room for such a large speaker setup?

Tell me, is it funny that I most want bookshelf sized speakers? Don't get me wrong I'm always temped by larger speakers. However I started a design for the ultimate bookshelf speaker "stand" that may become a product at some point. Why? Because I like them so much. So I can certainly understand how you're simply drawn to towers. However we share an appreciation for any panel designed tweeter. Cones and domes aren't wrong but they are not my end preference. . . .

I will not be redesigning the room. I have spent months trying to figure out a structural engineering design and an estimated cost to extend the back wall of the listening room five feet onto my outdoor deck. Unfortunately, the cost to do that is totally prohibitive. (The extension would be so expensive per square foot that I would not even have any unrealized profit on the resulting current retail market value per square foot versus the build cost per square foot.)

There is nothing wrong with preferring bookshelf-sized speakers! That's what makes horse racing! This is a largely a subjective hobby. We have different preferences. There rarely is a "right" and a "wrong."

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing