The Meitner DA2 and TX2

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
It hasn't been smooth sailing, that's for sure. See post #52 here to get a sense of my rocky start with these units (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19974-Dsd-how-far-does-one-go&p=378374#post378374)

However, after 3 days of break-in, the heavens opened up on the Meitner units last night. Stunning does not do it justice. It was a new level of reference performance, at least for me. I only stayed up to 3 am. (Glad today was a holiday). It's one of those rare listening moments that you know you've never seen (heard) anything like this before. It's frankly what we live to hear when we undertake this hobby, but if we experience it 6 times in our life, we will be lucky. A definite "you will always know where you were" when you heard it experience. Very exciting stuff.

In a nutshell, these units provide a new level of resolution (aka articulation, aka definition in the classic ARC use of the term) over my XDS1v2. In particular, orchestral lines that I heard previously were just more for distinct and more easily sorted, particularly in the cellos and the bass. Female vocals and strings had added substantive changes as well. Dynamic improvements, both macro and micro were also enhanced substantially. I could go on but you get the point. 16X DSD means nothing to me. Knocking me out sonically regardless of source (Redbook CD, DSD, upsampled PCM, or hi res digital files) made me not give a rat's ass about the underlying technology. Frankly, I just didn't care.

But accolades get weary and even superlatives get boring and lose their meaning after a while. Have I ever read a great review that didn't use such terminology over the past 30 year or so? C'mon, its all BS after a while. We expect technology to evolve, we expect things to get better sonically with new products (and we also expect prices to get lower as a result of trickle down to more affordable levels). So describing how a new piece of gear sounds better compared to it predecessor does indeed get old after a while. If it didn't, you'd be a fool to buy it!

However, that it is better than its predecessor was not my "take away" thought as I was listening to this marvelous combination today and last night. Rather it was something much bigger, and for me, a new insight about reproduced music. When you have been serious about this hobby for a few decades, you realize the futility of trying to constantly get to new heights by incremental improvements. Sure, all the changes you have seen or heard or bought, or at least many of them, are really meaningful. But yet there is an annoying feeling that your efforts are like trying to get out of a room by moving half way towards to door each time. The incremental differences seem less each time. Yes, they are enjoyable but at some point in a audiophile's life, you realize you are never going to get to the point that it sounds like the Philadelphia Orchestra or the Count Basie Orchestra is in your room. (If you're smart, that occurs sooner rather than later!) And that's OK since that's both an unrealistic goal to begin with and secondly has little to do with enjoying reproduced music in your home. But the epiphany of the new Meitner gear was this. By analogy, I'll call it the reverse "Room" effect, named after the recent movie by that name. The telling scene was when Jacob Tremblay goes back to the room in which he was held in captivity with his mom for 5 years and asks "did room get smaller"? I don't know about you, but that resonated with me because I too, went back to some of the places I lived as a child and asked the very same question. The reverse "Room" effect that the Meitner had on me was undoing the notion that those steps of trying to get "halfway to the door" are in fact, not nearly as small as I thought previously. In fact it is the exact opposite. The "room" we are trying metaphorically to get out of is actually now bigger than I realized and the steps to get halfway out the door now seem larger than they did before. The Meitner has shown me that so much more lies in those bits than I would have ever guessed, that all bets are off on what the future will bring to music reproduced music in the home or elsewhere. When a piece of gear does that, it's not just a piece of audio gear anymore. It's a game changer.

Last edited:

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
At RMAF last October Shahin told me there will be improvements to the XDS1 v2 based on the newly released DA2 sometime this year. Shahin mentioned a firmware upgrade as well as several levels of factory upgrades.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Marty,

I am thrilled for you! As you said, these "game-changers" don't come around every day and must be celebrated with all the passion that fuels our interest in the arts. No matter what comments may come that attempt to "quantify" or "codify" the reasons for the improvements, don't let that diminish your elation. After all, it is the experience that rules all. I sincerely hope that you derive many hours of pleasure from your new gear. Hearing old recordings come alive is beyond description.

Lee

number95

May 14, 2014
Thanks for sharing. Definitely interested.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats and great news...always nice to read about the big game changers. Enjoy.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Do you try playing files from computer to DA2? Do you have the same excitement as with TX2 and DA2?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Do you try playing files from computer to DA2? Do you have the same excitement as with TX2 and DA2?

Yes, as I mentioned, I played all source materials including CD, DSD, double DSD, 24/96 and 24/192. All seem to benefit considerably.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi Marty

Congrats

I have my DA2 on order

could u post a photo of the connections on the back of both units

Thx

Andrew

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The optilink terminals are the same on both transport and DAC or not?

I've tried 6 different cables - and they all have directionality.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The optilink terminals are the same on both transport and DAC or not?

I've tried 6 different cables - and they all have directionality.

The caps from the factory that protect each end of the optilink cable are different and I could only manage to fit them into the units a certain way. It didn't seem reversible to me but I may be wrong. I didn't want to force the connections.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The caps from the factory that protect each end of the optilink cable are different and I could only manage to fit them into the units a certain way. It didn't seem reversible to me but I may be wrong. I didn't want to force the connections.

show some photos please - the supplied cable, the terminals at either units.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Marty,

What did your DA2 replace?

Thanks

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Can I ask where u sourced this ? off the manual ?

Yes. It is not on Meitner web site yet as the new models are not even there. Typical Meitner. Kind of like Spectral, whose web site gets updated very rarely. I seem to have a penchant for these sorts of companies. Great sonics, and when they feel like getting around to their website, you'll be the last to know.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
aes/ebu on the left, pcm on the right.

Marty

I had a DAC 2x before and changed it out for an MSB. I am interested in the DA2 so just curious what you replaced

Thanks
Howie

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty

I had a DAC 2x before and changed it out for an MSB. I am interested in the DA2 so just curious what you replaced

Thanks
Howie

Howie,
Sorry I wasn't clearer in the OP. I replaced a Meitner XDS1v2 with the new Meitner combo.
Marty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing