How Many Watches Do You Own?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, my father was a watchmaker. So I grew up observing most all facets of the trade. He had a full shop at home and also managed a jewelry counter in a major department store of the day. He also could create custom replacement parts that could no longer be ordered. In the early days of his career he met my mom while working around jewelry stores in Detroit city. And ah Motown, what a great time to be a kid.

I truly loved quietly watching him disassemble, clean, oil, and rebuild all sorts of timepieces as I grew up. There was a zen to it and he loved the complexity, beautiful jeweled movement, pulsating and spinning. My dad was a very quiet, resourceful, gentle man like his father who was a furniture carpenter, both enjoyed the craft, and enjoyed the quiet time. So no doubt, my DNA lead me to be an industrial designer. I also love the quiet crafting time and creating things.

So I’ve been around mechanical timepieces and owned quite a few. Regretfully watching the collapse of the industry as cheap electric watches became popular. It’s the evolution of things. Fortunately my family made a very good livelihood back when a watch was more than a fashion statement, but a necessity.

Though I own many, many excellent but modest timepieces, alas, they collect dust as I wear an Apple Watch daily because of its appreciable Dick Tracy aspects. Welcome to the modern world.

“Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?”

But I have to put it out there… WHEN will we get flying cars! :)
Fantastic. Wearing my grandfather's 1960's Omega Constellation...not cleaned since the late 1980s and it keeps far better time than my 15-year old Breguet. If I adjust the time by a minute or 2 a couple times a year, that is a lot.

That is a testament to your father's and grandfather's generation of timepiece making.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Fantastic. Wearing my grandfather's 1960's Omega Constellation...not cleaned since the late 1980s and it keeps far better time than my 15-year old Breguet. If I adjust the time by a minute or 2 a couple times a year, that is a lot.

That is a testament to your father's and grandfather's generation of timepiece making.
So true. I have two of my Dad's Omega Seamasters, now 70 years old and running strong!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I own one watch.
It's a Breitling Chronomat. 1987-1988 Reference 81950 with grey dial with black sub dials.
Came with a leather band-replaced now with a Breitling branded rubber strap.
Had a complete revision in 2016 because it had bad time-keeping (gained 5min in a week!!!!). Now it gain's aprox. 1min a month.
Worn 24h since.
Would like to own a Rolex Deapsea (with D-Blue dial) because of its engineering !
I have about a half dozen watches. I also have two sons and as a ritual we share them which is a blast!

- Omega Seamaster with coaxial movement
- Vintage Breitling Navimeter 42mm (my favorite)
- Graham flyback chronograph
- Rolex Oyster circa 1977 given to me by my Dad (now permanently on my youngest son's wrist:)

None were terribly expensive but will be in my family for generations to come and yes, I am a big fan of cartridges, tone arms and turntables:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing