Bascom King Interview PS Audio BHK Signature amps

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It was my attempt at humor. Just watch how Paul ties his face in a knot when discussing the use of tubes.
I am a long time fan of tude/mosfet amp.MOSFETs have improved and and and I don't detect any "haze" in the better designs. You get the benefit of tubes without the problems and expense of transformers. I could state some technical reasons. That will surely get me into trouble. Two other fine Hybrids at reasonable costs are the Moscode 402AU and the Aesthetix Atlas,. Many audiophiles regard hybrids as an attempt to blend tube sound with solid state sound . Not at all. That would be accomplish by pairng a tube preamp with a solid state amp or vice verssa. There are specific reasons for using tubes in the input sttage.
In fact my first basic high end amp was the Hafler DH 200. A solid state MOSFET amp I built from a kit.

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Got it, seven (now eight) days in a row at work have made me slow, sorry.

I still have a DH-200, somewhere. I built a number of them, and modified many more, over the years. It was not real happy with low-Z loads and I thought the bass a bit anemic but overall it was/is a nice amp. My Counterpoint SA-220 was much better, but still not up to the better BJT amps in the bass. The limited listening I have done in the past few years indicates much better performance from MOSFET output stages these days. And most certainly high-power MOSFET technology has improved a great deal over the years.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The problem is to define "excessive". Like most things, just a flat statement of how many dB is insufficient. Loop order, open-loop parameters, bandwidth, circuit topology and type of feedback, a myriad of factors determine how feedback impacts the output.

That's right - audiophiles read reviews and marketing literature and "feedback is bad" becomes ingrained.

When I re-started Genesis, I hired Arnie Nudell and Bascom King as the designer-in-chief and consultant. In the early days, Bascom gave me a very valuable lesson in feedback - he told me that too much is bad, and too little is bad. Even with many "zero feedback" amplifiers, local feedback is necessary to keep components operating linearly. Zero feedback usually means zero global feedback. He encouraged me to listen to what feedback sounds like, and open my mind and listen for myself.

In those days, I was retired in Singapore and bringing up babies and a young family. Hence, I had time to play. On a challenge, I designed a pair of monoblock tube amplifiers and Bascom helped me tweak them.

(Review and a very long-winded story here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/genesis/m60.html - they are long obsolete, so this is not a plug.)

After we had the "Feedback discussion" Bascom sent me a circuit to put into the prototype so that I could dial in the amount of feedback - from zero to too little to too way much. He had intentionally put into the circuit enough bandwidth so that I could dial the amp from zero feedback (which resulted in IIRC damping <1) to positive feedback which resulted in a negative output impedance.

Little changes in twisting that dial gave me a huge insight into the sonic and musical workings of feedback that is still one of the most valued pieces of my design education. From that lesson, I started working on the design of the servo-control circuit for the Genesis woofers, and that is when the breakthrough came after nearly 3 years to eliminate the "dry boring slow bass" that used to be the bug-bear of servo-controlled bass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Even Botox can have auseful purpose.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing