Complete system for $10k that will sound good all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Kef ls50 $1,200.00
pangea - ds300 - heavy duty speaker stand $170.00
svs sb13 $1,500.00
hypex nc400 mono amps $1,500.00
gustard x20u $900.00
aurender n100h $2,200.00
luminous audio silver reference xlr 2m (dac to amps) $900.00
luminous audio synchestra rca 2 m (dac to svs) $500.00
32 feet canare 4s11 speaker cable / bi wire $42.00
furutech ft-211 g amp side $93.00
2 sets furutech fp-201 g speaker side $106.00
kimber - silver b-bus usb cable 1.5m $230.00
5 - pangea audio ac 14se mkii 2m power chords $350.00
salamander a3/b 28" rack $205.00
grand total $9,896.00

Sounds good, but keep in mind the $1500 NC400 kit needs built as well. It's not a finished product. An extra $160 will get you complete superior NC500 based monoblock pair of amps. Nord also sells a full NC400 based kit using better case, power button, wiring and connectors for cheaper than the Hypex Chinese case/parts for those who want to DIY the NC400.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!hypex-amps/avuyk

And I'd ditch the Aurender and buy a superior NUC based streamer for under $200. This will allow you to really hear what the X20U is capable of when you bypass the subpar SDM/SRC in the Sabre chip.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
You have exceeded my $10k budget when you add a dedicated server, streamer, all the software licenses for Roon and HQ Player plus at least a couple fifths of liquor needed after trying to figure out all the settings and stuff. The biggest thing is I will have personally listened to every piece of equipment on the list all together in my listening room.

You only need a $500 server. And about 15 minutes of setup time. Roon cost's $120 for a year, and Hqplayer costs $93. So even with the server and software we are talking under $1000 instead of $2200. If the 15 minutes of setup is too much, pay me $1200, and I'll preconfigure everything and ship it to you. All you'll have to do is connect the cables, and hit the power buttons and everything will work. Most people have a computer already anyways. Besides does the Aurender stream all the audio out of thin air in your setup? where's the server the audio files are stored on?

It doesn't matter if you listened to everything, if you listened to everything with this setup, it would sound even better for cheaper. The Sabre chip doesn't function any different at your house than any other house.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mike you make it sound so easy........My music files are on the 4TB of internal storage of the Aurender N10 and a 12TB USB drive.

Well it is easy if you follow the simple 3 post instructions. However it is possible to turn it into something more difficult if you decide following the simple instructions aren't for you. Even the Aurender needs some setup. You don't just buy it, open the box, plug it in, and instantly all of the files from your server are populated on the GUI. You can easily install a 4tb hard drive in the NUC as well, and use the Jriver media center preinstalled which has an even better mobile app GUI than the Aurender. This would allow you to ditch the server, and have a 1 box solution like the Aurender for under $300. But the problem is, the sound quality would only equal the Aurender if you did this, rather than far exceed.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
We will discuss the streamer setup in another thread when I get ready to take the plunge. You gotta admit my $10k system is not bad, come on I know you have it in you to give someone a compliment. :D

It sounds like it would be decent, but you are in Blizzard's corner, so any loose ends should be discussed. Personally I think I could compile together a $5K system that could beat it :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Just give a little Mike........just a little........Nobody else has included as much detail and thought. I know you can throw a compliment........Try it you might like it. :)

I did, I said it sounds like it would be decent :) You need to understand I've been building my own audio gear for over 20 years, so it's very hard to impress me price/performance wise with off the shelf retail store commercial products.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Same here Mike. I have a tube / fet linestage and tube mosfet mono amps I built from a very good friends design back in the late 80s, sounds as good as anything else I have in my system. I have built numerous speaker systems through the years. The system I came up with would be something anyone could buy and plug it all in and get close to the SOTA. All items are readily available and well known and respected. A little DIY is required with the amps and the speaker cable but nothing like brain surgery.

Yes and it would probably be a great sounding system, however I think I could compile together a better system for $5000, which the layman could easily get up and running, have all the components delivered to their door, turn key ready to go without even getting off the couch. No DIY skills required what so ever.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Marty - You set yourself up for failure by posting it in Mike's corner........you know he ain't cutting you any slack. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Marty - You set yourself up for failure by posting it in Mike's corner........you know he ain't cutting you any slack. :p

In the Olympics not everyone wins a gold metal, yet everyone involved are awesome athletes. Same with a good old Texas BBQ rib cook off. Only the winner gets 1st prize. How nice the people are have no bearing on this factor. I have the same philosophy in Blizzard's corner. People come here because they want to cut through all the BS, and simply figure out "What's best" for their hard earned dollar. So if I were to go against my beliefs in my own corner, I would be preforming a grave injustice for the readers of my sub forum. The end result would be a sub forum not worth the effort to even read.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The biggest thing is I will have personally listened to every piece of equipment on the list all together in my listening room.

Very refreshing to list a system which you have actually assembled and heard. Also not to make claims about it sounding better than systems you have not heard. I agree that listening is important before making a recommendation.

I agree with Johnny Vinyl.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
over rated compliments

John you are right........I am giving up and moving on to smoother pastures......
I rather receive $5,10, 100 thousand dollars worth of knowledge while the person calls me !@#$%^&* names, than compliments & misleading knowledge or hiding the significant facts.
zz.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Very refreshing, and yes that is the biggest thing when it comes to recommending something. I would have posted this system in a different forum.

Yes it is when you don't understand how audio gear is constructed. Kind of like how a small child knows not to touch a hot burner because they experienced the results before first hand. But my question is, how many times do we have to touch that burner, before we know whether it's a good idea or not?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I rather receive $5,10, 100 thousand dollars worth of knowledge while the person calls me !@#$%^&* names, than compliments & misleading knowledge or hiding the significant facts.
zz.

Ha ha I agree. For example every time I go to a car dealership. I avoid the guys who come running up to me with a fake smile from ear to ear. This is because I know that 99.9% of what they are about to tell me is going to be BS. I much prefer to find the grumpy guy who's 100% straight up and honest. This is because I know he won't be blowing smoke up my A$$ to make a sale. If he was that kind of guy he would be wearing that fake smile like the other guy who's full of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing